Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Autek WM-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Autek WM-1
Autek WM-1 Reviews: 80 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $132.95
Description: SWR/power meter with remote RF head.
More info: http://www.autekresearch.com/wm1.htm

You can write your own review of the Autek WM-1.

AF3Y Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2012 07:53 Send this review to a friend
No problem meters!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these meters. Have had them in service for over 4 or 5 years now and no complaints. I would buy another, if needed.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2012 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Accurate & Fast! {:>)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the 2nd WM-1 that I have owned.Sold the 1st one because it did NOT have a light in it & this one has the light installed from the factory.Got a deal from an Estate for just $50 & I have no plans of letting this one go anywhere.Love that BOTH the output power & SWR are displayed at the same time & ZERO calibration needed for either.Got a GREAT meter at an AWESOME price & I'm VERY happy!

W8NLZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2012 16:32 Send this review to a friend
No More Cross Needles for Me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like many of us, I have been through a lot of different wattmeters. Picked up a used Autek WM-1 at a hamfest and it has become my main man. Why? Because it displays both SWR and Power simultaneously without having to interpolate where needles are crossing one another, etc. Just clear and concise d'Arsonval meters. Because it uses a remote sensor, routing heavy cables to the operating desk is avoided. The Peak/Average function has value when operating SSB. I calibrated my unit using a friend's Bird wattmeter. Now it is very good across the entire power range. SWR is spot on. I wish I had the more recent model, which has lighted meters because I often operate in subdued lighting. I would consider the WM-1 to be a good value. One point off for the cheap case.

KE4ZHN Rating: 3/5 Aug 27, 2012 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Meter works fine, but the cabinet looks home brew  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my WM-1 used from a fellow ham. For what I have in it I couldnt say no. This meter works fine with the exception of loose hardware and a crappy quality cabinet. Its tough as nails but just butt ugly. Mine is an older non-lighted version and from what I hear from other hams with the lighted ones, I'm better off without the lights. Some have reported the addition of the lights made the meter more susceptible to RFI and erratic readings. Mine doesnt have this issue on any band. Im not sure if it was just their stations or this is a design issue with the unit itself. The case of this thing looks like the three stooges built it in their garage. The swr and power scale reads about as accurately as any other meter I have put in line to compare it with so no gripe on accuracy and operation. As another amateur pointed out, the front panel is wavy and bent up..this is how they come new. The mounting lugs on the case arent lined up properly for the front panel to fit flush so when they tightened the screws to hold the face plate in it bends the corners up. Looks like hell. The back of the meter head has this huge gaping hole in it and the connector for the "wall wart" is very fragile. If you need a cheap quick n' dirty meter that reads pep and swr without fiddling with knobs this will do the job. The remote head is ok but somewhat cheesy in looks and feel. The idea is great, the execution leaves a bit to be desired. Its a simple P box that snaps together with the circuit board inside for the sensor. This could have been made better but it works. If your one of those hams who insist on having every piece of gear look pristine and perfect...you should pass this one by. If you dont mind a homebrew look and feel in a meter that works, its ok for the money. For me, it does the job but I doubt I would buy one new unless Autek addressed the cosmetic and mechanical issues. I do like the big meters though. Very easy to read. I have never dealt with the company on the phone but from what other hams have told me Im not missing anything. Im sorry, but if Im going to spend my money with a company, I expect to be treated at least with a little bit of respect. A condescending attitude will only serve to drive customers away from this company and they wont last.

VE3EQP Rating: 1/5 Aug 26, 2012 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Not so good!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Autek should put a BIG warning that the WM-1 CAN NOT be used with normal all battery operation of a ham station!
The power for the WM-1 requires a separate Positive Sleeve and a Negative Center pin for the power connector. BAD, BAD!
There is no fuse/protection circuit for reversing the polarity. Even if you are careful to use the center pin Negative, as soon as you connect the coax cables, you short out the Positive to ground. In the case of the WM1, it doesn't blow any fuses, it burns out some PC circuit board lands (copper traces) on the board. BIG repair, if you know how. The Schematic is proprietary so is not available.
It does work OK, ONLY if you use the proper supplied ac wallwart.
I am surprised of the number of Happy Users but DO NOT try to use this for Field Day with a single battery supply!
Mike VE3EQP (VA3YV - 1B2 Bat - Field Day!)

WA4HKY Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2012 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Above Average  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all- Customer service is top notch. Very helpful and honest about the product. UPS delivered my WM-1 to the wrong address. Instead of alerting UPS- the person opened the box, dropped the meter HARD, and then tried to pass the blame to UPS. The meter was ruined... UPS apologized, Autek was VERY helpful and understanding on the phone once I alerted them about what happened. Autek had a replacement in the mail the next day! How's that for customer service!

The meter is a welcome addition to my shack. It is just as described. Accurate, well designed and simple to operate. I would definitely purchase from Autek again.

W7MJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Autek WM-1 - I like the dual meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired a used Autek WM-1. I had previously owned an old Heathkit HM-2140, then went with one of the big MFJ-868 meters for its easy to read large meter. Though I was happy with the MFJ for being easy to read from a distance, I found that I missed the dual meter display and remote pickup of the Heathkit. When I saw one of the Autek meters at a hamfest, I figured I'd give one a try.

I love it. It combines the dual meter approach of the HM-2140 with computed SWR, instead of reflected power, on the left meter. It appears to be reasonably accurate, the PEP response is excellent and the Autek meter faces are easier to read than the Heathkit.

The Autek's a keeper. The big MFJ is great for reading across the room, but the Autek WM-1 dual meters are perfectly adequate, easy on the eyes, and they give you instant SWR and FWD PEP at a glance, without having to push any switches or adjust sensitivity.

WO4R Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2011 10:23 Send this review to a friend
best watt meter ever  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the best watt meter I have ever owned.
Sure you can spend a lot more but dollar for dollar it is the most bang for the buck. I want to know swr and forward power. I also want big meters. This one has both with no calibrating or reading cross needles.

W4DHX Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2011 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent meter - well built, large meters, accurate, and good for mobile use. Be sure to read the instructions when hooking up power (using other than the supplied A/C adapter).

WS7X Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Meters  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for probably 10 years, and I just noticed that I've not written a review before now so thought I'd add my 2 cents. You can spend a lot more for a good meter but this one will do just fine. Mine is accurate and has worked flawlessly with no issues. Nothing else to add that hasn't already been said except the few negative reviews I've read about this meter seem to address a customer service issue. I can't speak to that since my purchase was so long ago and I had no trouble with mine. But as for the meter itself, if they still make them like the one I have, it's a great meter and deserves a 5. I'd buy another one without hesitation if I ever needed another meter.