Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-259B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-259B
MFJ-259B Reviews: 254 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $259.95
Description: HF/VHF Antenna Analyser
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-259B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-259B.

K8KEM Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2017 19:24 Send this review to a friend
A great item for the shack!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the 259b used and actually, I was quite amazed at all the things this box can do! Very nice gear for the hamshack. Love the portability. It compares to my Spectrum Analyzer. There is a difference in Return Loss readings which equates to VSWR readings. In measuring a 1:1 RF choke Balun, the Spectrum Analyzer gives a R/L of a reading that is different than the 259b and I don't know why. In reality the 259b gives a pretty flat VSWR readings from 1.8 to 55 MHz. The SA is telling me the VSWR goes way up after 14 Mhz. I have to investigate further to see who is lying!

K4FY Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2016 01:24 Send this review to a friend
Update goes from 3 to 5 stars  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally rated my MFJ-259B as a 3 because of a minor defect that caused me concerns about MFJ products. Based on recent experiences, I believe MFJ has upgraded its quality control. So my concerns have been answered and my rating goes to 5.

The 259B is a very complete unit but lacks the scan and print feature on some newer models which is a nice feature. But, most of them won't do as complete analysis as the 259B. Take your choice. As far as battery life goes, I loaded mine with a set of Mallory Duracell's a couple of years ago and it reads about 11.5 volts which is good to go.

The MFJ instruction manual is very competent with enough technical and application information to start you on your way to antenna expert. It's a good unit that performs as advertised.

73, K4FY

MI0NWA Rating: 4/5 Aug 11, 2016 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Good Analyzer  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a good analyser. I use it pretty regularly and it does what it's supposed to do. I like how it shows the reactance and resistance at the same time. The digital SWR is more accurate than the needle by about .1 to .2 but this is no big deal for me. The feature for measuring how long a piece coax is and detecting where there is a break along the coax is pretty cool. I have to agree about the battery side of things which others have mentioned which is why I give it 4 out of 5 instead of 5 out of 5. As for me, I just bought 10 rechargeable batteries and a 10 port battery charger. Just take the batteries out of the MFJ and charge to full power after just a few hours and this usually does me for 6-8 months depending on use. 4 months so far and still shows 12.6v when powering up on battery power and I've used it about 60-70 times throughout these 4 months for an average of 3-4 mins. The power save mode helps battery drain whenever you walk away and forget to turn it off and when you go back to measuring you just restart the unit and you are good to go again.

Its a straight forward unit and does everything I need it to do which is mostly for checking the resonance off various antennas.

N8VZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2016 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Never Fails  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these MFJ Antenna Analyzers for about fifteen years. Whenever I pull it off the shelf to use it, it works. I think in all that time I've only had to change the internal batteries two or three times. It's obviously not something that I use every day, but when I need it then the MJF-259B is "old reliable." I used it just about two weeks ago when I was installing a new window-mounted dual band VHF/UHF antenna on my new car after installing my Kenwood mobile rig in the car. I was able to tune the antenna very quickly. This is a good product, useful in any ham shack.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2015 10:07 Send this review to a friend
A few warts, but I love mine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tool for at least 12 years and have used it a LOT.
The only issues I've had are minor:
1. The on-off button is in a bad place. But, glue a large rubber grommet around the button and it helps with the accidental operation.
2. I went to use it today and it was dead. I tried external power and it was fine. At first I thought the batteries died, but the plastic battery holder had a couple of contacts that had 'cold flowed' and the batteries were not making contact.

A simple temporary fix. I just found new 10 AA battery holders for $2 each.
I bought the optional pouch for mine and it's a great place to place all the RF adaptors and accessories.

Couldn't imagine being without mine!
Still a "5"......

ron

PA0HEL Rating: 4/5 Jun 23, 2015 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Best buy in its kind!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for many, many years now and it performed as expected. No more, no less.
Why no 5/5? Because of two 'flaws'. One, apparent from the beginning: it does not charge rechargeable internal batteries, where it should. I tried everything (different charger - different plug etc.) but no go ...
Second: replacing the alkaline batteries, something rattled inside: a screw an a washer dropped out. Apparently from the battery holder, because that one was 'movable'. Then found that disassembling the unit in the field is not possible: you need to unsolder the uhf-socket because the nuts/washers cannot be reached with standard tools. And that soldering is a delicate job in view of the tight space. You need a powerful but small soldering iron for that and I don't have it. Neither at home nor in the field.
I will use it until the other screw comes loose. Then I'll look for someone better equipped than me!

NK8A Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2015 02:55 Send this review to a friend
great tool for antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 259B a few years now and it has never let me down.I have tuned my rotatable dipole and my vertical antennas in seconds.Not having to run in the house and check the SWR after every adjustment.After my antennas were tuned to well under 2:1,I had thoughts of selling the 259B.I decided not to sell it, because I knew I would be sorry if I did.The 259B is the best tool for ham radio that I have ever owned.

K9CTB Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2015 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Very handy gadget!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my 259B from R and L on the suggestion of a fellow ham. I don't design or build antennas for a living, but if I did, I'd own expensive antenna modeling software and a commercial network analyzer. If you scrap all the "0" ratings and half the "5"s (from people who never actually bought the product), then average the remainder yourself, you'd come up with a good appraisal of the MFJ-259B. I rated the 259B a "5" because it performs exactly as I expected, plus it does a few nice things I didn't expect. I have used it to test two dipoles I use at home as well as a deployable twin-dipole I built for ECOM. I have also used it to set up the traps on my Hy-Gain TH-3JR. Additionally, I have used the 259B to trim the VHF antennas on my vehicles. In every case I've needed it, the MFJ-259B has worked like a charm. Just wanted to insert my 2 cents worth because it becomes nauseating reading all the "reviews" that the malcontents keep posting to justify for themselves why they paid twice MFJ's price for another product. Most of the target clientele for the '259B are those of us who won't be needing a Smith chart printed. All we want is to get as close as we can to presenting a 50 ohm load to our transmitter. Oh, and being able to do so without QRMing the band with 100 watts while we trim an inch at a time is just a huge bonus. :) Like others out there, I've experienced problems with MFJ products that point to a need for improved quality controls, but whenever I've experienced such an issue, MFJ made it right. They *do* sell a LOT of boxes, and perhaps the addition of a quality engineer and technician to their payroll wouldn't raise the price of their products all that much -- but then, I'm not MFJ's CEO. :)

VE4MM Rating: 0/5 Jan 3, 2015 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this unit in 2008 for my trip to Mexico.

Going to Hawaii next week and the unit does NOT work.

This product only worked for 6 years.

Now I know why people say Mighty Fine Junk.

I though otherwise back in 2008.

N3TGY Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2014 15:18 Send this review to a friend
I love mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love to build antennas - to me and my station it's my most important tool. most of my Ham Friends had one before I did. I got tired of borrowing their analyzers so I bought one a few years ago. the only thing I wish my 259b had was the protective side plates that protrude up and protect the pots from damage if it is mislaid on it's face. (not that I would do that but I have a 4 year old who has done this in the past.... I'm making some now out of fiberglass to velcro to the sides ( no pop rivets or screws through it's case)