Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-259B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-259B
MFJ-259B Reviews: 245 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $259.95
Description: HF/VHF Antenna Analyser
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-259B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-259B.

AG6QR Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2013 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Ugly, but does the job well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I don't like the fact that it's big and heavy, with a poorly fitting case. But it quickly and easily provides the information I need to tune up an antenna to a desired frequency. I'm frequently experimenting with Buddipole configurations for various bands in different settings, and an analyzer makes the job SO much easier and quicker. While this does what it's supposed to do, I'm starting to shop for a smaller, sturdier unit for ultraportable field use.

KG4NVV Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2013 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Fine Piece of Equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my MFJ-259B for about 3 years now and I've been very pleased with it and glad to have it. I used it to tune a vertical antenna I purchased the other day; it is quite accurate with the radio SWR meter agreeing very well with the analyzer! I've also used it to check the SWR for my 6 meter Moxon antenna and my roll-up VHF/UHF J-pole (the VHF part of it anyway, as the 259B doesn't do UHF). While I don't use it every day, it is there when I need it. Also, I find the digital readout very handy as it tells the resistive and reactive components of the antenna impedance.

The 259B may not have all the bells and whistles of other, more expensive analyzers but for a ham on a budget it is a good bargain. Mine seems to be just fine from a quality standpoint, no rattling or erratic operation that I've noticed. I have not tried to use some of the other features it has, such as frequency counting, etc. I'm sorry to hear about the quality issues others have had with their MFJ analyzers, but for the price and with the one year warranty that MFJ offers these rigs are well worth considering.

KJ4VVU Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2013 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Charger jumper connection  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought i'd give an update on the MFJ-259B. I found a loose connection on the battery/charger jumper. Flipped the plastic jumper over and seems to make a better connection. It's working much better.

VK2FSTU Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Great tool that does a great job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this unit, it does all I need to do and hasn't failed me in the time I've owned it. If it ever fails, I'd buy another the same as it's used quite a lot and never fails to give what it's designed for.

G3SQU Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2013 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Great device - shoddy QC!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have previously borrowed an MFJ-259B and found it very useful (better than using my TX to set up n antenna!) so I decided to bid for a brand-new unit on Ebay, even if it did come to me via Bulgaria! Well I won the bid. It arrived in pristine condition, I applied 12vDC externally and it went through it's setup procedure perfectly. I then connected a 50ohm dummy load to the antenna socket - and it measured >650ohm. Oh dear. As the instructions actually tell you to take the back off the unit to set the battery links I did so and could see connection to the SO-239 socket was a dry-joint. Taking out the battery box for a closer inspection I could see there was actually no connection at all to the SO-239. Did they do a final test on this unit at all before shipping?
Fortunately everything now seems OK and the unit is starting to prove it's worth. But oh dear, what about some QC MFJ?

KJ4VVU Rating: 3/5 Feb 9, 2013 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Battery holder no good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Battery holder doesn't hold the batteries tight enough to make the 259b work. Have to use an external source. MFJ needs to redesign the battery holder.

W9RJA Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2013 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Great test eq. for shack !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't write reviews usually, but I just purchased this MFJ antenna analyzer & I can't believe that I went all these years without an instrument like this. Mine works great! I compared it against my Daiwa swr meter & get the same swr readings. I like to experiment with different antennas, so I can see that this tool will make the hobby interesting again! THANKS MFJ!

OZ1ESC Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Flawless  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess i'm one of the lucky ones, that "won" a perfect example of the 259-b.
It has been at work here in the schack(and a lot outside), without a single hickup.
I put 10 NiMh cells in for convenience, and although it now is a bit heavy, i just love this gem.
All the best
oz5es / (ex-oz1esc)

AF4BH Rating: 0/5 Jan 20, 2013 21:54 Send this review to a friend
I hate to love it and love to hate it at the same time!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my follow up to my original review made on Dec 1, 2011 22:45. Life took a turn on me so I set aside all my antenna projects for over a year. I took it out and charged the device back up. Turned it on and the device showed that it went through the initializations. OK! I've got all my parts ready and began to make my match box for my EFHWA.

You have no idea how frustrated I got spending 3 straight nights to find a resonance on a simple LRC using a 3K resistor, a 250pf variable capacitor, and a T-200-6 torrid. There was nothing I could make the MFJ-259B to make a meaningful reading. The stupid thing stuck at >25 SWR, and R=>650 the whole damn time! No matter what I had done!

Frustrated with my seemingly bad craftsmanship on the circuit, my attention turned to the MFJ-259B itself. I asked my self if the thing was really that bad. After all, I spend $200+ a year ago and the thing had been virtually sit in the box unopened except when I put 10x new rechargeable batteries in it. In other words, it was brand new, and totally unused; which also means that it just came out of MFJ factory.

My EFHWA project was now taking a sudden turn to trouble shoot the MFJ-259B. I did done a lot of researches. Many had said that the detector diodes would be the bad guy under strong static and/or nearby AM stations. Fear of having one or all four detector diodes burnt, I tear the whole thing apart just to locate the 4 detector diodes.

Step 1: Visual inspection. The SO-239 has a thin wire solder to the circuit board. It really looked suspicious because the contact point underneath it looked very dry (or lack of solder).

Step 2: Before I proceed any further, I wanted to make sure if the local oscillator still worked. I tuned the MFJ-259B to a specific frequency. It worked!

Step 3: Before I tear the whole thing apart while suspected a bad solder join at the main signal input, I took out my VOM then verify the connection from Step 1. Load and behold! There is no connectivity between the SO-239 and the circuit board!

Step 4: Put my dummy load in and vola! The thing was fixed!

How can that possibility be done with a new device that just roll off the manufacturing line? This is totally unacceptable and unbelievable how incompetent their QC are. You are talking a simple dummy load check to see if the display could show 1.0 SWR. It is that a simple check and it apparently did not take place.

Within seconds, I was able to verify my 9:1 un-un was working according to my plan once the MFJ-259B was fixed. I love how this device can save me hours of guess work, but also hate how this device wasted hours of my time to repair BEFORE it started to work!

Sad. Very sad!

AG6GX Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2013 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Extremely Handy Unit for Homebrew Antenna Building & Tweeking  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Borrowed a friends unit (KT6LN) and it worked perfectly, any one who is considering antenna construction will find this unit invaluable. Greatly improved the reception performance as well as transmition performance. I built a maypole 4 element inverted V cut for 80/40/20/10 meters with less than 2.0 VSWR on all bands - can tune up on 17 and 6 meters as well. (Performance there is not great but reasonable.