Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-259B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-259B
MFJ-259B Reviews: 254 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $259.95
Description: HF/VHF Antenna Analyser
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-259B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-259B.

HA7WX Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 13:39 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-259B / a must have  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi Everyone!
I am reviewing one after one the HAM radio devices i own. I have purchased this one off of ebay a few years ago and i don't regret it. It's a MUST HAVE piece of equipment at a HF radio-station. I have tuned my Hustler 4BTV in a very short time not to mention it would have been too difficult and disrespectful with one of my HF TRX in the case i must use it to tune the antenna. Not to mention one won't disturb anybody while tuning their antenna as virtually no power is radiated.
This thing seems to be enough accurate and using a 4Ah SLA battery i don't feel it draws too much current. For sure there are much better antenna analyzers on the market, but much more expensive. The one HAM operator willing to tune his antennas and constructing dipoles will be happy with this equipment. The only design fault one could find is that it's bulky. But using it at home is definitely not a disadvantage.
Fine job MFJ! I definitely recommend this if you need and find one.

W4PER Rating: 3/5 Jul 20, 2014 14:27 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-259C  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
1. It did the job, helping me to tune the bands on my new antenna installation.
2. If I had not been able to do the testing from in the shack, it would not have worked.
Reason is the 10 battery pack (nimh) does not charge well with a 12 volt power pack. After 2 weeks on charge it will only run a couple of minutes before powering down.
3. No a very good paint job, pieces of paint fell off the edges as I was installing the batteries.
4. The prescribed battery pack of 10 arrived with only 7 of the batteries able to take a charge t all. Postage back is about as much as the batteries so I loose.

Like I said it did work, not sure of the accuracy but my Yaesu FT-897D is happy. Bob W4PER

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2014 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Did the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good for me...Did the job...I found my issue with my antennas..Isolated the problem...I think this is a must have the Ham Operators, escpecially those who are always trying new antennas!

K6YE Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2014 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Works really well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I inherited two of these units and they both work well. I use one to pre-tune my 160/80/40 sloper antenna rather than using on-the-air tuning. I have set my yagis with them and they are right on the mark. YMMV

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS and CW RULES

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2014 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Quality Test Instrument  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a new one from DX Engineering. I've experienced other MFJ products arriving in semi-kit form or other quality control issues so I was a little anxious opening the box. No rattles or loose parts. Cosmetically, looks great. Opened the unit to put in new batteries. Everything looks fine, nice soldering, nothing loose. Popped in a new set of Duracells and was ready for action. Meter works just fine. Connected it to my multi-band dipole and swept SWR for each band. Needed to tune each band slightly. The MFJ-259B made adjustment so easy and convenient. After using this, I wouldn't want to be without one. No guesswork, this is a quality instrument and a great value for the shack. I considered buying the new more expensive 259C with extended coverage to 230 Mhz but wasn't interested as I don't work 220. Get one and you won't be disappointed.

SV1JRF Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2014 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Tool, must have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my brand new MFJ-259b ,antenna analyzer,and i must say that i am impressed. It does what it says. Yes is MFJ and you have to be careful due to bad quality control, but it is amazing! Immediately i've checked my long wire antenna ,and i 've seen that needs...work,hihihi!i knew that it wasn't quite efficient,that is the reason i am using a tuner, but..it was much worst!!anyway amazing tool, small and rugged USA style.
Also the frequency counter function works great!

73's

N1GMV Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2014 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy with MFJ-259b  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine last week. So this review is based on the 3 or 4 hours I have used it.
After a couple hours with it I immediately saw an issue with two vhf antennas.

One of the problems was water in the Belden 9913 feedline. The other (17' Workman fiberglass Collinear) had blown caps in the bottom section. Both are fixed up now and good to go.

Now I am going to use it to build a qrp antenna! This is a great little unit and did not cost a lot.

W8DEP Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2013 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the MFJ-259B from HRO. The purchase price was $239.95 with free shipping. In my opinion it is a great product and does a fantastic job of helping one to find the lowest SWR of an antenna. It saved me a lot of time and money and stress related to trimming an antenna. It helps to simplify the work and put the fun back into ham radio.

KP4MLF Rating: 3/5 Jul 21, 2013 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Quality control???  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As many folks said, the analizer is good but looks like MFJ dont have Quality control, i bought mine new and after 2 weeks of normal use inside of my house (not at the field) i notice that big changes happens in the readings when move the antenna connector, after change all of my PL's connectors (thinking that this was the issue) and the problem continue i decide to open the analyzer and SURPRISE! there is a Cold Solder in the Antenna connector and are not giving a proper contact.

after solder it the analyzer continue working perfect. Good Product, Bad Quality control.

KN6SU Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2013 20:28 Send this review to a friend
Bulky, Boxy, Basic but Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Admittedly looks kind of rough and flimsy, but it does a lot of antenna & feedline analysis chores and does them well. It's basically a very QRP RF generator that covers HF and VHF with analog needle meters and a digital LCD readout. The manual is fairly informative and explains how to use the 259 to check inductance and capacity values/reactance, measure frequency, and impedance match your antenna. It won't graph Smith charts for your antennas, but what do you expect for $250? MFJ is notorious for sloppy quality control (loose connections, poor solder joints, etc.) but these problems tend to show up early during the warranty period. You can either fix them yourself or return the product for repair if needed.