Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-259B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-259B
MFJ-259B Reviews: 247 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $259.95
Description: HF/VHF Antenna Analyser
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-259B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-259B.

KP4MLF Rating: 3/5 Jul 21, 2013 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Quality control???  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As many folks said, the analizer is good but looks like MFJ dont have Quality control, i bought mine new and after 2 weeks of normal use inside of my house (not at the field) i notice that big changes happens in the readings when move the antenna connector, after change all of my PL's connectors (thinking that this was the issue) and the problem continue i decide to open the analyzer and SURPRISE! there is a Cold Solder in the Antenna connector and are not giving a proper contact.

after solder it the analyzer continue working perfect. Good Product, Bad Quality control.

KN6SU Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2013 20:28 Send this review to a friend
Bulky, Boxy, Basic but Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Admittedly looks kind of rough and flimsy, but it does a lot of antenna & feedline analysis chores and does them well. It's basically a very QRP RF generator that covers HF and VHF with analog needle meters and a digital LCD readout. The manual is fairly informative and explains how to use the 259 to check inductance and capacity values/reactance, measure frequency, and impedance match your antenna. It won't graph Smith charts for your antennas, but what do you expect for $250? MFJ is notorious for sloppy quality control (loose connections, poor solder joints, etc.) but these problems tend to show up early during the warranty period. You can either fix them yourself or return the product for repair if needed.

AG6QR Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2013 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Ugly, but does the job well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I don't like the fact that it's big and heavy, with a poorly fitting case. But it quickly and easily provides the information I need to tune up an antenna to a desired frequency. I'm frequently experimenting with Buddipole configurations for various bands in different settings, and an analyzer makes the job SO much easier and quicker. While this does what it's supposed to do, I'm starting to shop for a smaller, sturdier unit for ultraportable field use.

KG4NVV Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2013 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Fine Piece of Equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my MFJ-259B for about 3 years now and I've been very pleased with it and glad to have it. I used it to tune a vertical antenna I purchased the other day; it is quite accurate with the radio SWR meter agreeing very well with the analyzer! I've also used it to check the SWR for my 6 meter Moxon antenna and my roll-up VHF/UHF J-pole (the VHF part of it anyway, as the 259B doesn't do UHF). While I don't use it every day, it is there when I need it. Also, I find the digital readout very handy as it tells the resistive and reactive components of the antenna impedance.

The 259B may not have all the bells and whistles of other, more expensive analyzers but for a ham on a budget it is a good bargain. Mine seems to be just fine from a quality standpoint, no rattling or erratic operation that I've noticed. I have not tried to use some of the other features it has, such as frequency counting, etc. I'm sorry to hear about the quality issues others have had with their MFJ analyzers, but for the price and with the one year warranty that MFJ offers these rigs are well worth considering.

KJ4VVU Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2013 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Charger jumper connection  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought i'd give an update on the MFJ-259B. I found a loose connection on the battery/charger jumper. Flipped the plastic jumper over and seems to make a better connection. It's working much better.

VK2FSTU Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Great tool that does a great job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this unit, it does all I need to do and hasn't failed me in the time I've owned it. If it ever fails, I'd buy another the same as it's used quite a lot and never fails to give what it's designed for.

G3SQU Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2013 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Great device - shoddy QC!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have previously borrowed an MFJ-259B and found it very useful (better than using my TX to set up n antenna!) so I decided to bid for a brand-new unit on Ebay, even if it did come to me via Bulgaria! Well I won the bid. It arrived in pristine condition, I applied 12vDC externally and it went through it's setup procedure perfectly. I then connected a 50ohm dummy load to the antenna socket - and it measured >650ohm. Oh dear. As the instructions actually tell you to take the back off the unit to set the battery links I did so and could see connection to the SO-239 socket was a dry-joint. Taking out the battery box for a closer inspection I could see there was actually no connection at all to the SO-239. Did they do a final test on this unit at all before shipping?
Fortunately everything now seems OK and the unit is starting to prove it's worth. But oh dear, what about some QC MFJ?

KJ4VVU Rating: 3/5 Feb 9, 2013 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Battery holder no good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Battery holder doesn't hold the batteries tight enough to make the 259b work. Have to use an external source. MFJ needs to redesign the battery holder.

W9RJA Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2013 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Great test eq. for shack !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't write reviews usually, but I just purchased this MFJ antenna analyzer & I can't believe that I went all these years without an instrument like this. Mine works great! I compared it against my Daiwa swr meter & get the same swr readings. I like to experiment with different antennas, so I can see that this tool will make the hobby interesting again! THANKS MFJ!

OZ1ESC Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Flawless  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess i'm one of the lucky ones, that "won" a perfect example of the 259-b.
It has been at work here in the schack(and a lot outside), without a single hickup.
I put 10 NiMh cells in for convenience, and although it now is a bit heavy, i just love this gem.
All the best