Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-259B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-259B
MFJ-259B Reviews: 250 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $259.95
Description: HF/VHF Antenna Analyser
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-259B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-259B.

SV1JRF Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2014 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Tool, must have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my brand new MFJ-259b ,antenna analyzer,and i must say that i am impressed. It does what it says. Yes is MFJ and you have to be careful due to bad quality control, but it is amazing! Immediately i've checked my long wire antenna ,and i 've seen that needs...work,hihihi!i knew that it wasn't quite efficient,that is the reason i am using a tuner, but..it was much worst!!anyway amazing tool, small and rugged USA style.
Also the frequency counter function works great!

73's

N1GMV Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2014 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy with MFJ-259b  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine last week. So this review is based on the 3 or 4 hours I have used it.
After a couple hours with it I immediately saw an issue with two vhf antennas.

One of the problems was water in the Belden 9913 feedline. The other (17' Workman fiberglass Collinear) had blown caps in the bottom section. Both are fixed up now and good to go.

Now I am going to use it to build a qrp antenna! This is a great little unit and did not cost a lot.

W8DEP Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2013 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the MFJ-259B from HRO. The purchase price was $239.95 with free shipping. In my opinion it is a great product and does a fantastic job of helping one to find the lowest SWR of an antenna. It saved me a lot of time and money and stress related to trimming an antenna. It helps to simplify the work and put the fun back into ham radio.

K4FY Rating: 3/5 Aug 2, 2013 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Good but oh the quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the MFJ-259 extensively to tune my vertical and OCFD antennas. It is a useful tool and the instructions MFJ provided are quite complete. I would not want to do antenna work without it, however, MFJ quality control, much less quality assurance is subpar. My unit arrived with one of the meters floating loose in the case. A little “magic glue” solved the problem but I expect better in a competitive market.

Will I purchase another MFJ product? Probably not because MFJ quality and that of their associate companies is marginal.

KP4MLF Rating: 3/5 Jul 21, 2013 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Quality control???  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As many folks said, the analizer is good but looks like MFJ dont have Quality control, i bought mine new and after 2 weeks of normal use inside of my house (not at the field) i notice that big changes happens in the readings when move the antenna connector, after change all of my PL's connectors (thinking that this was the issue) and the problem continue i decide to open the analyzer and SURPRISE! there is a Cold Solder in the Antenna connector and are not giving a proper contact.

after solder it the analyzer continue working perfect. Good Product, Bad Quality control.

KN6SU Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2013 20:28 Send this review to a friend
Bulky, Boxy, Basic but Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Admittedly looks kind of rough and flimsy, but it does a lot of antenna & feedline analysis chores and does them well. It's basically a very QRP RF generator that covers HF and VHF with analog needle meters and a digital LCD readout. The manual is fairly informative and explains how to use the 259 to check inductance and capacity values/reactance, measure frequency, and impedance match your antenna. It won't graph Smith charts for your antennas, but what do you expect for $250? MFJ is notorious for sloppy quality control (loose connections, poor solder joints, etc.) but these problems tend to show up early during the warranty period. You can either fix them yourself or return the product for repair if needed.

AG6QR Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2013 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Ugly, but does the job well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I don't like the fact that it's big and heavy, with a poorly fitting case. But it quickly and easily provides the information I need to tune up an antenna to a desired frequency. I'm frequently experimenting with Buddipole configurations for various bands in different settings, and an analyzer makes the job SO much easier and quicker. While this does what it's supposed to do, I'm starting to shop for a smaller, sturdier unit for ultraportable field use.

KG4NVV Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2013 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Fine Piece of Equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my MFJ-259B for about 3 years now and I've been very pleased with it and glad to have it. I used it to tune a vertical antenna I purchased the other day; it is quite accurate with the radio SWR meter agreeing very well with the analyzer! I've also used it to check the SWR for my 6 meter Moxon antenna and my roll-up VHF/UHF J-pole (the VHF part of it anyway, as the 259B doesn't do UHF). While I don't use it every day, it is there when I need it. Also, I find the digital readout very handy as it tells the resistive and reactive components of the antenna impedance.

The 259B may not have all the bells and whistles of other, more expensive analyzers but for a ham on a budget it is a good bargain. Mine seems to be just fine from a quality standpoint, no rattling or erratic operation that I've noticed. I have not tried to use some of the other features it has, such as frequency counting, etc. I'm sorry to hear about the quality issues others have had with their MFJ analyzers, but for the price and with the one year warranty that MFJ offers these rigs are well worth considering.

KJ4VVU Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2013 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Charger jumper connection  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought i'd give an update on the MFJ-259B. I found a loose connection on the battery/charger jumper. Flipped the plastic jumper over and seems to make a better connection. It's working much better.

VK2FSTU Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Great tool that does a great job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this unit, it does all I need to do and hasn't failed me in the time I've owned it. If it ever fails, I'd buy another the same as it's used quite a lot and never fails to give what it's designed for.