Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Alinco DR-235T/G Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DR-235T/G
Alinco DR-235T/G Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$300.00
Description: A 25 Watt 100 memory Channel radio for 222 MHz. An optional packet board is available.
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DR-235/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DR-235T/G.

KC2OBW Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2012 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio for a little over a year now. I love the radio. I haven't had any issues with it. I normally run the radio on low or mid power settings when I'm working the local repeaters. Radio is easy to program via hand. Radio has great sounding audio. I would deff buy another if I needed. For a antenna I use a Hustler MX-220 a 3db 5/8 wave mobile antenna. One of the cool features this radio has is the theft alarm feature, I kinda wish it would transmit the alarm like the 635 does.

I haven't had any problems with the brick yet. Like I said I usually run the radio on low ore med power

K2XDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2011 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
After installing a new power module from RF parts last October this little radio is still going strong. 5 years and counting. Repair cost me a total of $46 with shipping and RF parts had the Motorola module to me in 4 days. I am going to purchase another for my 220 mhz repeater link! Please read prior review.

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2011 02:52 Send this review to a friend
Unbelievable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My DR-235 has been in continuous operation, powered up, 24X7X365 for 8 years, yes you read that correctly, 8 years! The rig is used in an IRLP simplex system and has not been out of service in all this time. Of course, it is not transmitting continuously but is used multiple times daily. Still outputs full power and the LED illumination is as bright as day one. This is one amazing radio!

WB6ZRP Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2011 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Love it, great radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it in 2007 at a good price IMO.Have not had any problems with it exept I had to turn down the mic. gain a bit(easy to do). It gets hot when talking over 15 min.I can get windy hi hi.Other than that I love the radio. It's the only one available. 25 watts is ok with a gain mag mount ant. and a wire gnd. plane added to a small square of steel plate, 50 watts erp. So wats not to like. If you want 220 get it.

WB0YLE Rating: 1/5 Mar 9, 2011 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Don't blow the final...you might as well buy a new radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Cost for the RF output module...from Alinco...$211. and change if you blow it out. RF Parts doesn't even stock it. Sooo...

This one is an epic fail. All it takes is an unknown break or short in your coax, a moment's inattention, or a bad module through some transient...and you might as well spend $20. more an buy a new Jetstream, with warranty, 25 extra watts, same programming software, same programming cable, same mic...

You get the idea. While mine worked for a little over a year and a half...just went TU...but, at this rate, I can buy a new Wouxun HT and a 50W amp, or, the above model of a competitor, for just a few more dead presidents than just the single rf module to repair this radio.

You've been warned.

K2XDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2010 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for more then 4 years. After the 4th year I blew the power module. My antenna hit a tree branch I transmitted for a while with a high SWR not knowing it. I ordered a new power module from RF parts and installed it. I must say I was quiet impressed with the build quality and easy of repairing the radio. By the time the soldering iron heated up I was done. I would definitely buy another.

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2010 23:34 Send this review to a friend
Great radio...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine a little more than one year and it's been perfect. I'm not the most technical ham but had no problems operating and setting this one up. Through my MFJ meter, I show 50 watts output so I'm a happy ham. Mine is the DR 235 MK-III model. My antenna is a Cushcraft 220 MZ vertical.

VE3LNU Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2010 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Great radio BUT...  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a die-hard 220 fan, I am pleased that this radio is so popular, and still available to keep us active on this great band. However, a word of caution - there is a potential problem with the finals in this radio and for this reason I cannot give rate it as "5".

The finals failed in mid-transmission just 2 months after I bought this rig brand-new. Through my dealer, Alinco replaced the finals under warranty. 2 years later they failed again.

I admit that I used this radio every day at the full outuput (25 watts) into a mobile antenna with a 1.5:1 SWR. Yes, that's not a perfect SWR, but any radio should be able to take it and keep on ticking. And I will admit that I make rather long transmissions...

Having said that, if the radio is rated at 25 watts output, the problems I experienced should not be happening.

My advice: if you plan to use this radio for 2 hours a day, as I have done, transmit at the mid-power setting of 10 watts, not at the full 25 watts. That's what I'll be doing when I get the finals replaced (this time, at my own expense).

These radios are obviously not designed to commercial standards, and I guess we don't pay for that in the purchase price.

Joe, VE3LNU

N6HPO Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2009 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Great 220 Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this from a friend in Maryland about a year ago. He took great care of it; it's the "older" model with the pewter body panel.

I too have a small, 5 element 220 MHz Yagi and I can hit a Santa Barbara repeater 165 miles away. Programming repeaters and PL's is no problem, even though I did it manually.

The owner's manual could have been a little more explicit, but you can "noodle" things out within a few hours. Currently, I use my 235T as a base station; have 80+ repeaters in memory throughout SoCal and can hit them all.

Should you find one of these beauties, may I suggest that you snap it up!? The 220 MHz band is a wonderful slice of the spectrum and yes, it could use a lot more traffic.

Do yourself & every other 220 ham a favor; if you find the 144 and 440 bands a little too crowded, buy a 220 rig so we can add one more necessary voice to this under-utilized spectrum, please!

73 everyone!