Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Alinco DR-235T/G Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DR-235T/G
Alinco DR-235T/G Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$300.00
Description: A 25 Watt 100 memory Channel radio for 222 MHz. An optional packet board is available.
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DR-235/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DR-235T/G.

K6ZIZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2009 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, good price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great radio at an affordable price. Programmed all 62 repeater outputs into memory and can work more than 40 repeaters in N. California consistantly, some over 150 miles away. Installed the DR-235T MkIII as a base unit with a small yagi antenna. I regularly get great audio reports. Miss the lack of a squelch knob but that's a minor criticism. Would I buy another? You betcha!

N6HPO Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2009 20:31 Send this review to a friend
For The Price It Can't Be Beat  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Initially, I was looking for an older ICOM or an H/T for 220. One day, a ham buddy in Maryland offered to sell me his 235T; 220 is not as popular there as it is in SoCal. I really like 220; have had some great QSO's recently. It's a little less noisy and the pace seems a little slower.

In fact, the 235T is very much like 220 MHz...not flashy nor highly publicized, but once your "plugged in" it's a whole lotta fun. The low [25 watt] output has not been a handicap for me at all.

The 235T has a large, bright 7 digit display which is ideal for me. The ability to toggle between the Alpha Tag and the programmed frequency was a nifty little accessory that I appreciate! It's set up for Packet; a programming data port is up front for easy access. Wish my 208H had these features. If my 235T ever gets cranky, there is a full service manual available from the Alinco website.

This is a great unit. Kudos to Alinco for making a solid performing 220 MHz rig at an affordable price!

When circumstances permit, go out & get on 220!

73!

Alan

KI4UCO Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2009 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Solid, no frills, easy to use radio. Only game in town for a new 222MHz radio. I have the MKIII version.

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2008 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice, does the job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the Chevy Impala of VHF rigs. Works well, nothing to get excited about, very reasonably priced. I've opened it to peer inside, and yes indeed, the quality is there, and very modern surface-mount technologies went into it. My rig is the MK III, which I think is the latest version. The specs in the manual show 25 watts of power, but my station meter shows 40 watts easily. I have no idea if they went with new finals in the newer version, but I'm not complaining. BUY ONE....let's get 220 MHZ rolling!

VA7CRH Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2008 23:04 Send this review to a friend
Good basic radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As others have said, this is a plain-Jane radio. No real bells or whistles, it just does the job. I agree with one reviewer below who said it looked a little Flintstonian, but I have grown to like it.

There are 4 222 MHz repeaters in our area of Canada, and about another eight from the border with Washington down into Puget Sound (Seattle). We have a bit of height and with a homebrew 222 MHz quad antenna, all of them can be reached. This Alinco does the job well.

Then again, as others have said, this is the only 222 MHz mobile (non-HT) radio left, other than the used market. I've been looking for a 222 MHz dual bander on eBay and they can be pricey be cause they are rare...

Which is to say that the 235T price is reasonable given that there are no other options. I managed to get one of the non-MKII units for about US$215 new, the only difference I can see is that there is no FM-narrow on the unit I have. That's not a big deal for me.

So if you're into 222 MHz work, this unit is not only the only new mobile going, it is also decent and reasonably priced. Go for it.

WA6L Rating: 4/5 Feb 4, 2008 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Not perfect, but all you need  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

As someone else mentioned, this is the only 220 Mhz rig still being manufactured. So good or bad, this is your only choice unless you dip into the used market. The good news is that this is a sturdy and reliable rig with plenty of features. It is not perfect, but it will get you on this fun VHF band at a reasonable cost.

The rig has all the bells and whistles that you might expect from a modern VHF transceiver. There are 100 memories (more than enough on 1.25m), programmable scanning, memory scanning, DTMF, tone encode/decode, and variable output power. It also has several functions that I have never used, including AM reception and optional data (TNC) capabilities.

Oddly, it does not have a 'reverse' function. I am used to checking the input of a repeater to see if I am close enough to go to simplex. The fix (found here) is to program adjacent memories with the reverse pair -- works great!

Several reviewers have mentioned a problem with over-deviation of the DR-235T signal. I can vouch that this is still a problem, or at least it was when I purchased mine six months ago.

The symptom for me was that on some (but not all) repeaters, I would get the report that my signal was "cutting in and out." Someone said it sounded like a broken wire in the microphone cable. Finally, with the help of some knowledgeable Hams, we were able to determine that my deviation was set too high. Some repeaters are sensitive to the deviation level and they were the ones that were giving me a problem.

I was all set to get the rig repaired when I found a gem that was buried deep inside the DR-235T owner's manual. If you hold the function key and press the MHz key, it switches the radio into "narrow FM mode." This drops the deviation down quite a bit, and (at least for me) fixed the problem with the repeaters.

The setting -- narrow or wide -- can be saved separately in each memory. Although this is not really fixing the over-deviation problem, it effectively gets around it. I have been happily using the rig since I discovered this setting and have not had any other problems.

So, with a work-around for both the reverse function and the over-deviation, I am a happy owner. The rig sounds great and gets good reports in daily use.

John, WA6L

N5USR Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2008 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Even works AS a repeater...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have two DR-235 MkIII radios on my "backyard repeater". After years of hearing how poorly suited modern-day transceivers are for repeater work, I must say I'm very pleased with these. The receiver is quite sensitive, hearing (in my highly informal and non-scientific testing) a 5W mobile signal remarkably well at distances I have previously found required more power on 2M. And the transmitter has withstood quite a bit of punishment - I have a 2M remote base on the repeater (a DR-135, btw) that can be very active. There are times where the 220 transmitter will be keyed nonstop for hours and it has held up quite nicely, with a cooling fan on the heat sink keeping it just warm to the touch on the 10W power setting.

The repeater (using an Arcom RC-210 controller) has been up continuously for two months now.

While I was a bit put off at first by the "primitive" look I have since come to love these radios. (I have one for mobile use as well.) In retrospect, I don't use all those bells and whistles in my other radios. The basic, straightforward layout makes these extremely easy to use, which is of course most important when driving.

K1VSR Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2008 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is currently the only 1.25m mobile radio on the market so thank God it's a great one! As is the norm with Alinco radios, it probably doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that your new Yaecomwood radio might have, but it has all the essentials - PL encode/decode, DCS, scanning, and the like. It also sports nice audio, a very clean transmitter, and a rock solid receiver that's very sensitive and not prone to intermod. Transmitter output is 25W on high power which is plenty for mobile communications. The meter-and-a-quarter band has a low enough noise floor to where you don't need 40 or 50 watts to get your mobile signal out like you do on 2m or 70cm.

All in all, this is another quality product from Alinco. Their products are great on price, very reliable and, though they may not be loaded with features that most of us will never use like a lot of newer radios, Alinco's radios do what they need to do and do it very well.

I highly recommend this for anyone who spends lots of time on 1.25m like I do.

AE1Y Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2007 00:46 Send this review to a friend
So Far So Good!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my Alinco DR-235T not the MkII Version. I found an older one brand new in box never used. I paid 200 dollars for it. So far I love the radio. Large LCD display with large easy to read characters. Very easy to program. Very logical programing. The way you think it should work is the way it works. I was surprised when I adjusted settings such as PL tones. I'm done??? I said?? WOW!! That's how all radios should work! On air reports are very good. People say the modulation is very loud. You have to keep the mic one foot from your mouth so you wont over power other stations with loud modulation. I've only just set up the radio and have made few contacts. So far so good. If things change I will post another review but for now I sure would recommend this good looking easy to see and operate radio to anybody. Especially if you want to get on 220. Not many options for 1.25 meters these days. I plan on ordering the 2 meter and the 440 counter parts to this radio to complement each other in the shack. I will add a photo to my profile when all is set up and I will post reviews of the other radios when the arrive. I'm a little scared of the 440 radio do to poor reviews but the MkII version seems to have the problems ironed out. Stay tuned for my reviews or the other two radios.

AE1Y

N8DOD Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2007 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Nothing Else Available for 220  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of them and use them with my 224.16 repeater and have other users of the repeater using them, The only problem I have ever encountered was the mike gain and deviation on the very early ones needed to be turned down, but the more recent radios have the problem solved, I have one other repeater owner using one as a remote base and it really gets a work out.
Jim N8DOD Warren, Ohio