Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Bandhopper - WA7BEF Help

Reviews Summary for Bandhopper - WA7BEF
Bandhopper - WA7BEF Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Manual or remote tuned antenna.
More info: http://www.bandhopper.com/

You can write your own review of the Bandhopper - WA7BEF.

K1CD Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2014 09:06 Send this review to a friend
fixed length screwdriver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
as of 3/96, the manual version was $265 and the motorized version $325 + ~$100 for the control box. The control box has relays to switch in capacitors for 80, 40, and (option) 20 in an L network configuration for tuning.

The motor uses 3 sub C NiCD batteries trickle charged through a dropping resistor. The motor is in a 2 1/4" x 6" long galvanized pipe press fit into top and bottom aluminum at the base of the antenna. The motor needs updating to run on modern PWM 12v control systems and that will be a pain considering how stoutly it is built into the antenna. The motor also needs 4 amp or so which can be a reason to think about upgrading as well.

The manual had a lot of different mounting ideas with hardware selling for $10 to near $100. The mount needs a platform as big as the antenna base (2" dia) for solid support.

The coil is rather slim for optimum Q but it does make for an unobtrusive antenna. The fixed length does add to robustness.

There is an optional 2 MHz loading coil if you want to run on 160m. It is listed as a $40 item.

Weatherproofing depends upon those plastic sleeves for fluorescent tubes to protect them in a shop environment. Not so good IMHO.

These days, it's a project! If you find one cheap, it can give you a chance to experiment with the standard modern mobile HF antenna and how it works. While you might be able to use as-is, be prepared for some mount fabrication at least.

Note that Ben, WA7BEF is rumored SK (2005 if I hear right) and his company no longer in operation so parts and prices and whatnot are entirely up to your scrounging and ingenuity skills.

VE9TJR Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2013 05:19 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of the earlier Bandhopper's and it worked great, I dont rememeber why, but I had Ben upgrade my old antenna to the super Bandhopper, ( think he just built a new one then told me he upgraded just to save me some money) Ben was always a fantastic person, he took my wife and I out for breakfast, I watched him lathe my new coil in his shop, I still have my super Bandhopper although I havent used it in 14 years due to being off the air, I lost the mirror bracket Ben made for me, but I still have the rest of the antenna and control box , Ben you'll be missed, R.I.P. old friend

N5YU Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2009 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess I was one of the lucky ones that originally owned one of the first edition Bandhopper Antennas. Just prior to Ben Grace's passing he upgraded it to the Superhopper for me. He also encouraged me to buy the KO6YD Autotune. I still own this equipment that's still in as NEW condition and again I am one of the lucky ones! Super Quality Antenna! Thanks Ben, may you rest in peace!!

N7IBC Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2004 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Rugged and easy to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of them, one is the MT or manual tune. It has been used, abused, through sand, rain,snow and ice storms. It continues to work well. The only gripe is the tuning chart.It wore out after 7 years. I suppose thats not to bad.
The other antenna is the RT, or remote tune. It is mounted on a 2003 Dodge Dakota police vehicle, and has again survived through dirt,sand,snow and ice storms.The only problem in that area is ice buildup causes a change in positioning of the resonater.And in knowing how the antenna works, a slight adjustment cures that.It has also survived at speeds in excess of 100MPH responding to crashes and life threatning incidents.I get great reports from both systems using an IC-706,TS-50 and FT-890.
Would recommend them to anyone who wants a high quality HF antenna system.The cost is high, but,"you get what you pay for".The manufacturer is always open for questions and has provided me with answers whenever I have called.

N5KBW Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2003 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Greatest  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the finest mobile antenna built, I have 2 of them, one on a 90 Lincoln Town Car running 800 to 1000 watts... The other is on a 93 Dodge Dakota Pickup... Runing 600 to 800 watts... The Bandhopper antenna gets great reports everytime I key up and talk to someone... What a signal, you say your mobile... The antenna's are both Super hoppers which is the large coil version of the Bandhopper, for highter power handling... Antenna tunes great and looks great.. you can view them at www.bandhopper.com .. Dealing with Ben at the Bandhopper factory is great he is very helpful and knows his product...