Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Tentec 2 meter xceiver kit Help

Reviews Summary for Tentec 2 meter xceiver kit
Tentec 2 meter xceiver kit Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$200
Description: 2 meter xceiver kit
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Tentec 2 meter xceiver kit.

KF6WND Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2014 17:57 Send this review to a friend
A great building experience.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built this 2 meter rig in the mid 1990's and set it up in our vacation home in upstate NY. At the time I also built the companion desk top mike. As of now this rig still works flawlessly. It is connected to an outdoor Arrow J-pole antenna. It was a wonderful experience. I wish that Ten Tec could bring this kit back upgraded as a dual band rig.

VK3ZT Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2011 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Fun!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The only disappointment with this kit is that it is no longer available. The kit took 40 hours to construct (this included the time to make a plastic screw-driver out of an old tie name tag) as I am very methodical, performing all the recommended tests as I went along, ticking all the boxes and a parts count before starting. A multimeter was handy in identifying the inductors from the resistors. One inductor was particularly hard to make out whether it had a brown or red band. A parts count was necessary as I am in Australia after all and Ten-Tec is just not down the road for me. Though they did respond to an email I sent and it was answered the next day, allowing for time zones a pretty good effort. Could not expect better.

Tuning was as easy as the manual states (plastic screw-driver), using one of our local repeaters though found the frequency counter at work a little more accurate as I was out by 60Hz.

What can I say, it was a GREAT kit I and enjoy using it every day from home. As another has already said, you can buy more bells n whistles from the big three, though this was a bag of fun to build and that is what I bought it for. Turned out to put quite a smile across my face when I use it as well. I have read it is so much fun to use something that you have built and it is true. Hmm off to that antenna project I have put aside.

In closing it would wonderful if Ten-Tec came out with another kit radio. Something all mode for two or six metres or a dual band for 2 & 70, I would buy one in a flash. They would make a fantastic Birthday, Christmas or Father's (Mother's) Day present. Yes, I could see myself buying one for my wife : )

Said my piece, hope Ten-Tec and potential kit builders read this.

73, Paul VK3TPM.

N8DDW Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2007 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Compliment to a Ten Tec HF Station  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, this is certainly not a 5 worthy radio but like all others here, it's no 3 either! I have an Orion II and I wanted a Ten Tec 1220 with amp to complete my "home" station. It looks really nice by the way sitting on top of an extra Ten Tec Speaker that matches the Orion. I can buy any radio I want, I choose to want Ten Tec! Call me an old timer, I'm only 43 but have been hamming for 28 of those years. As an Engineer, I like how Ten Tec thinks!

Anyways, its nice to have this radio around, it was easy to assemble, it was fun to build a radio (oh how I miss Heathkit). This transceiver is "adequate" that is to say it works fairly well. If you consider the cost of the radio as a kit plus amplifier you of course could have a heck of a 2m from one of the major manufacturers but like I said... I WANTED a Ten Tec.

So lads, if you want features and care about cost, go buy a Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood or Alinco. If you want something to go with your Ten Tec station, this is the trick right here!

No longer available as a kit (can you say parts procurement problem?) but still to be found at swaps and on Ebay.

OK Ten Tec, bring me a new version in a dual bander!

MM5DOG Rating: 4/5 Feb 4, 2002 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Ten Tec 1220  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built this little rig over a year ago now and its been reliable and gives good performance,its reciever is way better than my icom 207,and seems to access the local reapeater better ,with lower power?.The rig has the high power amp option which is lower powered than specified but works well.This set has memory scanning option as well.The only drawback is the "sproggies" around 145.400 which is apparently a design problem.All in all its a great little simple rig which is usually my first choice for a ragchew on 2m.P.S its also great FUN building your own radio!!!!!!!!!!.

KC0KYV Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2001 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Good 2 meter kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found the Tentec 2 meter xceiver to be a very good
kit. I have had good reports on the transmit audio
and signal. Receive capabilites are also good,
though I have found a need to set the squelch higher
than I would have expected to filter noise in scan
mode.
There were a couple of minor issues with this
xceiver: 1) fit of outer case was okay, but could
have been better, requiring a lot of fiddling to get
it right, 2) with 1222 power amp add on, I found slightly
lower power output than specs, but still good, 3) the
squelch issue noted above, which might just have to
do with the unit's sensitivity ... so may or may not really
be an issue -- I found scan mode to be okay with a
high squelch.
One thing to be aware of is that the microprocessor with
the kit has a "bug" in it which Tentec knows about.
This causes the xceiver to do unexpected things at
times when using the "shift" button to program frequency
offsets. In use, it is not a big deal, but it would have
been nice if Tentec had provided an addendum noting
this. I had to call Tentec to verify it was a problem with
its custom chip.
Tentec support was excellent. I had one defective diode
in the 1222 which they promptly replaced.
For kit builders, I strongly recommend the 1220/1222.
Had it not been for the minor things noted above, I would
have given it a 5.0 rating.
Documentation was excellent. Compliments and kudos
to Tentec for a very good xceiver kit.

WB6MMV Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2001 14:56 Send this review to a friend
good basic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my kit about 5 years ago and use it as my home 2 meter radio. I found the kit easy to assemble including the 30 watt power module. It has been on continuously during the past 5 years and has never been turned off, even when changing the 9 volt memory backup battery. As 2 meter radios go, this is a pretty basic radio, but still has enough functionality to be practical. One never has to read the manual or go through layers of menus to program this radio.

There are a few features that would be nice to add, such as increased memory (currently only 15) and the ability to scan those 15 frequencies. however its a pretty nice basic rig. Like others, I have noticed some minor intermod, but then I would expect it in a radio in this basic category. Its fun to build and operate.

K3SUI Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2001 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good Radio for the Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built the Ten-Tec 2 meter FM tranceiver about 5 years ago to use for packet. The kit was of very high quality and went together easly. It worked the first time, for me. I also built the 30 watt amp and installed it at this time. It took about a week of evenings to build it and it worked the first time. The power was a little low at first so I called Ten-Tec. They sent me a new set of PIN diodes which did the trick.

This unit has all the necessary features. Onboard subaudible tone generator. Synthesized tuning and offset. A separate jack for data connections. The receiver is quite sensitive ... but is subject to xmod. I live near the highest hills in the area and there is a lot of paging devices overlooking me. I can hear the xmod on a few frequencies. Both my Kenwood HT and my Icom HT also have this problem, so I don't belive that the Ten-Tec is too bad.

I've used the unit all this time, trouble free. I've have loaned the unit out on several occassions and the users have brought it back intact. This speaks well of it's construction.

In summerization, a pretty darn good 2 meter FM radio, with all the really necessary features in a beautiful and easy to build kit form. In all a good buy.