Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2800H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2800H
ICOM IC-2800H Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $500.00
Description: VHF/UHF Mobile w/ 3" LCD Screen.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2800H.

N6JSX Rating: 2/5 Apr 16, 2011 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Good but problems!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two IC-2800's for ~10yrs (his and her vehicles now just my SUV radio). It is an easy radio to operate. The RX has very good sensitivity. The TX is solid even with flaky VSWR (loose antenna/crushed coax).

The BIG problem with the 2800 is the Control head FAILURES that makes the radio a piece of junk!!!

There are two common failures to the control head:
1. Intermittent turn-on to finally NO turn-on.
2. LCD back-light intermittently slow light to NO back-lighting. Cold temps make it worse!

Since I have two 2800's I've been able to swap the control heads to determine where the problem lies and keep one operational. With two I've been able to keep one operational!

I've had these radios in for repair FIVE times each for the same problems! The last time ICOM repair had my radio 9months!!! And then they told me they could not find any problems, but as soon as I put that control head in my SUV and the temp was below 32F I had super slow LCD back-lighting as well as slow intermittent turn-on. (Swapped heads and now I just have intermittent turn-on)

ICOM Repair has told me there is a design issue with the 2800 control head that can take out a data chip. Some capacitors do not hold up to temperature extremes, hence the back-light inverter slow start. But ICOM will not modify or fix these known circuit flaws just keep raking in the repair profits.

When the radios works - it's great, but if you need a repair ---> ICOM is lame, lengthy, and costly. The 2800 is no longer sold - wonder why?

W3RXO Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2010 19:17 Send this review to a friend
One of my Favorites  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wish we were able to vote a bit in between. I would have rated it a 4.9. For 2 reasons. 1-it is not the best radio in the world for cross band repeating. 2-it does not do V-V OR U-U. Otherwise, it is a fantastic radio. I live in metro L.A. and have never had a problem with intermod. the radio is easy to use, and very intuitive. A year or so ago, I decided I wanted a 2820H, for D-Star operation, and put it up for sale. The first fellow who contacted me, couldn't understand why I wanted to sell it. After talking to him for an hour, or so, I cancelled the ad, and decided to keep the radio. He was willing to buy it, but wanted to talk me out of selling it. He did that. I still use it, and even though I eventually bought the 2820H, for D-Star, the 2800H is one of my favorite radios. I sure wish Icom would come up with a radio, which has a similar display, for the modern market. It is, simply put, the best display, EVER put on a mobile radio, and the radio itself is darned good too. If you find one for $300, buy it, you won't regret it.

KE1O Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2009 19:05 Send this review to a friend
The Best Dualbander Ever Made  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't remember how long I have had this radio. I bought it from AES the second week it was on the market. I used the video in to monitor a 2.4Ghz wireless camera watching a field strength meter about 100' in front of my truck as I tried different antennas. what a cool thing to be able to see. rock solid performance. easy to use, and multi color display rocks. I like this radio so much I bought a backup one NIB off ebay to keep on the shelf. I have bought and sold many different radios, and I will NEVER give this one up. Icom, why did you stop making this??? KE1O out...

KB7GJY Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2009 07:42 Send this review to a friend
I cant say this radio is just good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Granted mine has died, it is a great radio, so I am getting it repaired. This thing has been a trooper. It has been in 3 cars and two over the road trucks. I moved it in the the shack, and it still worked great. One day I walked into the shack, and it was off and tried to turn it on, no go. After several tries, still no go. So I bought two radios (minus control heads, due to theft) and powered up no problem.

Now the control head, I think, has gone down hill. I found a service that thinks they can repair it. I am sending in the other radios in to be repaired too, so I have them as spares.

I love the radio and all it does. I have owned this radio for close to 7 years.

ICOM!!!! Bring back the 2800H make it a Mk2 or something.

WA3UOO Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2008 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Best dual band I've owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
As of this writing, I still own this rig. I just installed it in its 3rd vehicle after sitting in a box for 8 months. Bolted everything in, connected cables and power and it plays perfectly. Hands down the best dual band mobile I've owned. I'll be hanging on to it for another 10 years.

KD5SPJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2007 12:01 Send this review to a friend
All around the best dual bander I have seen  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an IC-2800H and love it. I have had it for about 5 years with absolutely no problems. I Have used it as both a mobile, in three different vehicles, all off roaders, and at home on the bench as a base. In all conditions save for very very cold temps under freezing, to the desert heat here in New Mexico, it always came on immediately and ran great. The very few times it had a slight delay of about 5 seconds to pop the display on was either because the cable was not plugged all the way in on it ir it was very very cold, probably about 0 degrees.

I love the audio, ease of programming, display, and the power. I can't think of anything I don;t like about the radio. I usually use it on mid high power because even on that setting I can hit all the repeaters I ever try to hit. Only once in a while to I turn it up to high to get full quieting on out at the fringe areas.

N1FCJ Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2006 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Great radio but a bit bright at night.  Time owned: more than 12 months
First, for all those who have display problems (slow to come on or doesn't come on), there is a fix. Replace C38 (47uF) on the controller board and your problems will dissappear. It is at the bottom right hand corner of the board. I am betting a larger value cap would be a better fix but I haven't tried it. I am thinking maybe 100uF will do nicely. I've had my radio for about 6 years with no problems other than the display being slow to come on in cold weather (see above). I have not had the intermod that others complain of. This radio has one of the better receivers of the radios I've used, although the Icom 2400 with its varacter tuned front end is the best ever. If you want an intermod-free radio, try to find one of those (sorry, I'll never sell mine). My only complaints are that the display is too bright at night and the mic cord is too short considering it plugs into the chassis, not the head. The latter can be easily remedied with an extender made from a CAT5 cable and a double female RJ-45 adapter. If you could dim the display more it would have gotten a 5.

K8APS Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2006 15:16 Send this review to a friend
5 years and still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must say that I've had this Icom for at least five years now and I use it regularly and I've had no problems. Yes, in the winter here in Michigan it gets cold and the display does take a few moments to come on... not a problem if you let everything warm up a tad first. The display is a bit bright for driving at night though (now my display is mounted lower, but this was a problem when it was high on the dash). I really like the rig and it has been working well. Lots of great features. I did change the original mic out for the wireless one (although it is being used as wired).

VA3MKS Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2005 04:37 Send this review to a friend
Awesome.. Awesome.. I want another one  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Alright.. here goes...

You get what you pay for.. this radio is awesome. Audio is amazing. Features are great. I bought the programming cable for it off ebay and it's pretty easy to program..

100 channels + on both VFO's for programming! I couldnt fill them all.. over 200 channels total memory.

The only thing that scares me... I live in Toronto, canada... Weather goes down to -20C and more.... Ive been reading posts about the remote head acting up in cold weather... Im thinking I'll take my radio out of the car from NOV to End of march. this baby doesnt deserve to suffer in -20 or -30 deg. weather.. (not only that, the manual says you should keep out of -10C weather.

MANUAL

*** AVIOD using or placing the transeiver in direct sunlight or areas with temperatures below -10C (+14F) or above +60C (140F)****

I use to put a baseball cap over my remote head in the summer.. it makes a great ball cap hanger too!!! (not only that, it prevents people from getting sticky fingers.. I was always worried about people breaking into my car...(but maybe thats just me)-- the remote head is awesome.

Otherwise.. I've been using it with a SB-15 comet and a diamond SG7900 (two of the best high gain mobile antennas) and let me tell you.. This thing gets out.... I can hit repeaters that I never thought I was able to hit... and I'm planning on adding a UHF/VHF amplifier for the 2800h too.. anyway.. It's a great radio..
I would buy again in a second...
Read the manaul.. it makes the radio that much better to use.

73's and dont think twide about the 2800h.. .. just buy it! :P

AD8BC Rating: 2/5 Jul 15, 2005 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Liked it very much until display died.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used about 3 years ago and liked it very much. There was one downside -- the display. The most exciting feature of this radio was also it's Achilles heel. In the winter, the backlight would take up to a minute to come on. In the summer, the backlight (and possibly the inverter) makes the radio very hot.

Yesterday I used it on my lunch hour and left it on all afternoon. It overheated. No more backlight.

I took the control head apart and found the LCD still worked if there was a light source behind it. But there was no voltage going to the cold cathode. Plus, the guides that guide the buttons to their switches on the PCB (that surround the display) warped in the heat so the buttons became very sticky.

I intend to replace it with probably a Kenwood V708A, since it uses modular connectors as well and I have already got my car wired with two runs of Cat-5 cable for the Icom's mic and control head... plus Kenwood seems to be the only manufacturer making displays that show more than frequency, memory number, and idiot indicators :-)

All is not lost, I intend on converting my IC-2800 to a base unit, putting in my own cold cathode lamp and a cooling fan.

If you run across one of these radios for sale, I recommend not buying one no matter how cool it looks and functions. You would definitely enjoy using it, for sure, but sooner or later that display is going to crap out on you.