Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2800H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2800H
ICOM IC-2800H Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $500.00
Description: VHF/UHF Mobile w/ 3" LCD Screen.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2800H.

IZ8FMW Rating: 4/5 Jun 6, 2005 00:11 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Transceiver,design optimum innovative,very functional thanks to the wide Display to Colori.Unico problem according to me the noisy cooling fan!

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2005 08:33 Send this review to a friend
wished i didnt sell mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
i had one and like an idiot i sold it for something else that i thought was better,,, that was not the case (well new one is better but not by much).
So if you have them keep them and if you plan on selling them make darn sure the one that will replace it is by far a much better radio.
just me .02 cents

M0MRR Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2005 02:49 Send this review to a friend
Recently bought one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking for a dual band radio without breaking the bank, I came across an IC-2800. I have been really pleased with this radio and love the display. I am getting reports that my audio is good. What dissapoints me is that my multimode FT-897 is proved now not to be so good. I can hear vhf/uhf stations with the Icom but not the Yaesu - I do wonder why Icom discontinued this model?

K6BLA Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2004 23:38 Send this review to a friend
NICE RIG... cool display!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like this radio. The learning curve is a bit rough if you're used to Yaesu and Alinco. It's like learning a new language.

I installed the control head in a blanked out compartment in the ceiling console of my '99 Tahoe, just above the mirror, using lots of velcro and no hardware. It went where the rear a/c controls would go if my car had that option. Some folks used that space for satellite radio.

Anyway, it's a true heads-up display in this installation and does not get direct sunlight to wash out the display. It is visible from the outside at night, almost looking like I have a DVD setup, only no tiny Shrek or Donkey or perhaps Tully will be displayed like I see on most screens inside giant SUVs at night. :)

I installed the xcvr box under the driver's seat with velcro, as recommended here by an earlier poster, and thus the mic cord was perfect for hooking the mic clip to the center console. The cable lengths were all perfect for this method.

I have been getting great signal reports and comments that audio quality is great with full quieting to most repeaters.

The built-in speaker works like a champ, even with the control head velroed into the little cubby-hole I used. The convex properties of this hole sometimes cause an odd imaging perception. My nephew said it sounded like the audio was coming from above the headrests, almost floating in space. Wow, what an interesting sensation. But, that's just an odd quirk of my install, and it really does sound great!

I do worry about rumours and reports of display troubles in the future, but for now, it is the best radio I've ever seen mobile.

73! de K6BLA

PY1BR Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2003 14:14 Send this review to a friend
I wonder why it was recently discontinued  Time owned: more than 12 months
Itís an excellent dual band transceiver. Excellent audio (Tx and Rx), sensitivity, selectivity and modern project conception. I wonder why it was recently discontinued. Today I use it as a base radio only. I built a homemade desktop support fot the control head. I have another excellent old Icom (IC-281H) for mobile operation. I really don't regret paying some few more bucks for a dual band a year and a half ago. The mic cord is not very long and I needed to buy the cable extension accessory. Great product.

W5GM Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2003 21:33 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this rig for a few years now and LOVE it!!! Sure, I wish it had v/v and u/u but hey, I adapted. I have my control head mounted with a rear view mirror mount over to the left of the windshield in my 98' crown vic PI. I extended all cables with CAT5, using stranded cable for the mic extension and soldid for the remote head. If you live in an urban area or commute to a downtown RF jungle, you will want to enable the squelch attenuator feature. This is COOL! It adds attenuation to the receiver the tighter you close the squelch. I use the pc programming kit to program mine which saves a lot of time. The only problem I ever had was with the mic. I think Icom has fixed that as evidenced by the new mic that comes with the IC2100 nowadays.

KC2HHY Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2002 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio! - Sorry to see it discontinued  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've always liked the 2800H, but I found it hard to justify the steep price tag it was getting. Since the announcement of it being discontinued, I was able to pick one up new for ~$425.00. It has GREAT ICOM Tx and Rx audio and I ALWAYS get great Tx audio reports. The 3" TFT display is something to be careful about protecting. It's very easy to read, except as you would expect in direct sunlight. I understand that it is expensive and difficult to replace. I love the TRUE v/u dual receive/scan feature and after reading some of the reviews for other manufacturer dual receive radio's, I'm glad that I got the 2800H. Remember this is a v/u only and not a v/v or u/u radio (if it really matters to you, but it didn't to me). If you've owned a 207H like I have, you'll immediately recognize the programming menus. It took no time at all to program 25 or so repeaters (10 min). In my mind, unless you absolutely cannot deal with ICOM's menu layout, there is no need for the programming software/cable. I don't miss it a bit.

PY1BR Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2002 09:02 Send this review to a friend
The best among its category and price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this radio for about one year and have nothing to complain. Itís an excellent rig in all aspects. The receiver and transmitter are both excellent. It runs cool, the display is very very nice. The full function microphone operates very well. I never used it as mobile. I built my own homemade desktop bracket for the front panel. This rig is probably the best among its category and price.

AF4KK Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2002 10:42 Send this review to a friend
What a great radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my Icom 2800H mobile unit in my car for about 18 months now and it never fails to impress me! I mostly use it in the car to send and recive slow-scan TV (SSTV) with a Kenwood VC-H1 and the combination is a great set-up!
The 2800H has great audio on both RX and TX and the data port on the main unit was a BIG help in getting my SSTV station set up!
Not to metion that COLOR screen! It's extra, extra, extra COOL and very easy to see both day and night!!

KB5SXH Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2002 02:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this rig about three months now, and I love it. I did have a problem with it when it was first purchased. It ran into a problem where it refused to power up. The folks at the local HAM store here in Houston bent over backwards to get a replacement for me, and the replacement has worked without a hitch. It's difficult to learn to program, but all of the quirks actually make sense to me (so I'm a geek, what can I say?) I get great audio reports, and the 20dB attenuator is great for going through intermod alley. This rig does get a lot of intermode in comparison to my old IC 2000H, but this rig has kept me a loyal Icom customer! It's a pricey rig, but it was worth it to me...