Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | SGC SG-500 Smart Power Cube Help

Reviews Summary for SGC SG-500 Smart Power Cube
SGC SG-500 Smart Power Cube Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $1395.00
Description: Amplifier: One KW - Model SG-500 SmartPowerCube
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com

You can write your own review of the SGC SG-500 Smart Power Cube.

KF5PEL Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2016 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use workhorse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have an SG-500 operational in a mobile installation with a dedicated battery for the amplifier. Like other reviewers I bought the amplifier used had it shipped directly to SGC for a health check. Thankfully no issues with the amplifier. It's been in operation for about a year and is trouble free. Feed it with a solid 14vdc 90amp source and load it with a resonate antenna then you're working the world. I cant see how one could destroy the finals with the automatic projection on the amplifier.

GW4PJQ Rating: 3/5 Aug 16, 2016 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Good but  Time owned: more than 12 months
I haven't found this amp nearly as marvellous as most have. To be honest I wonder if it is the same product. It is.
I use the amp remotely and nearly every time I use it I have to go to the room where it is to find out what it has objected to to stop it keying up. High VSWR is a common reason despite the antenna's 1.5:1 vswr. Over current, not picking up the PTT ground or when it has it locks up either in tx or rx.
Has anyone else had these issues?

WA0LSS Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2013 20:32 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Mobile Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Now in my third year of use; bought one on Ebay and sent it for testing and upgrades to SGC. They replaced a few parts and tuned it up, tested it, and returned it for exactly what the quoted. I have $1000 invested (purchase and service) and it's never missed a beat with daily use. It's the best, most flexible, most reliable amp I've ever used. I work /MM every day and it runs off the boat's batteries giving us the best reports of any boat on the east coast... I'd recommend this to anyone.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2013 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Still works GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using my SG500 on 75m for almost 3 years now and its is still working GREAT have changed my primary radio to a FT5000D and driving the CUBE with 35 watts on 75 meters most mornings when needed! Used a new bad MFJ 998 auto tuner upon installation, sent the AUTO TUNER back to MFJ for repairs and the SG 500
to SGC for repairs, received it back in about 2 weeks repaired
no charge. SGC tech called me and told me unit was as new an it it was putting out 700+ watts under test! Got the MFJ 993 back about the 2 weeks later with a new meter but not install correctly and no explanation of what was wrong with the tuner. Brought an LDG-1000Pro all has been well since.............KB6HRT

N4NOO Rating: 1/5 Oct 11, 2012 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Mixed bag  Time owned: more than 12 months
I loved the amp until a little over a year ago. It failed. I shipped it back to SGC and asked for an estimate cost for repairs. A few weeks later I received a call from them telling me it was "unrepairable". I said "What?" and after questioning her a lot more, I discovered that it wasn't that it was so damaged it couldn't be repaired, it was that they didn't have the parts any longer. To my surprise, they were changing the "final" transistor they were going to use and hadn't found the new one yet. So whenever they finish the selection process, my amp "may" be repairable. Just called and they still don't have a circuit ready! Even I'm not that slow! Not what I expected when I bought this amp. It had great reviews and a solid repair history in their reviews. This was a very expensive amp for 500 watts and now it is a very expensive lump of metal taking up space in my basement. No what I bargained for!!! Color me very disappointed!

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2012 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Still a beast!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just saw my review of 6-1/2 years ago, and thought I might give an update. She is still in line at the home station. Still running off battery power. Still cranking out over 500W on every band with 50W drive. Has NEVER given one moment's trouble in this time. I cannot recommend it highly enough, although it appears to be out of production, at least temporarily. I think the jump from 50W to 500+W is just the ticket. Easy on the rig, and enough "fire" to make a difference when the going gets rough. Hope she never dies..... as I would like someone else to use her after I am SK!!

N5QF Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2010 00:15 Send this review to a friend
Great for Mobile Operation!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered my SG-500 direct from SGC. It took 6 weeks just as they said. But it is well worth the wait, and mine had a date code the unit had just been made and was certainly factory fresh! Made in the good old USA you can bet it makes you proud that the good stuff can still be made here. My combination is an IC-7K, HiQ 4/80 antenna and SG-500 in between. I installed the unit in the back of my SUV. All wiring is 4 gauge. I added a 100Ah Suriken battery next to the amp. Pay attention to all connectors. I found some at Frye's Electronics and Mobile One. When cutting the 4 gauge I recommend tinning the end of the cable. My connectors have an allen screw that makes the fitting tight. If not tinned the screw will just dig into the cable and come loose. I did have to call Terry at SGC technical. On start up I had a small issue. He was able to quickly tell me the 13 pin connector inside was probably loose. Yep when I took off the top to do the Export mod, I left the connector unplugged. Well that did not take long and now up and running. I made at least 20 contacts today including Croatia. Not bad from Houston, Tx.and broke through several USA pile=ups.
This amp is very well built and my contact with SGC was great. They know their stuff and build a great amp. I also got the fan kit and it is worth the money> The remote control box is a nice add.
Pics available upon request.
George N5QF

K0BG Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2010 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Just the best money can buy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own three of these amps. The one currently in my mobile, has over 1,000 hours of trouble free service (there's an hour meter attached in case you're interested). Here'a a few tips for getting the most out of one.

Set the Filter to automatic, and forget about it. This way, you'll never transmit into the wrong filter.

Use PTT. The input current is about 2 ma, and can be directly keyed by any transceiverI know of. No interface needed.

Set up thusly, the first time transmit on any band, takes about 600 ms. After that, less than 100 ms.

There is an input attenuator. If the drive power gets over about 70 watts, the attenuator will kick in. You'll know if it does, and the return to full receive takes about 500 ms after key up. Just back off the drive until it doesn't. If you have a stiff supply connected (second battery, whatever), it will do an honest 550 watts out. And, if you have the fan kit, it's rated 100% duty cycle, even in CW!

You don't need the remote control they sell, and building what you need to control it, takes about an hour.

If you use one as a base amp, and have two of their AC power supplies paralleled (they're made to do this), it will do an honest 650 PEP.

If you need more information, e-mail me.

Alan, KBG
www.k0bg.com

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2010 17:24 Send this review to a friend
SGC-500 a real plus  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the SCG-500 for two weeks and it works GREAT, using it as a Base Amplifier for HF It requires 40+ amps for SSB work and I have two 35amp power supply in parallel for the job. I use an Palstar AT2K tuner ahead of the SCG-500 amplifier and with 45 watts drive from my ICOM 756PRO3 I see 500+ watts pep on the power meter of the AT2K meter, I rag chewer and like the fact the the whole bottom on the SGC-500 is a heat sink and there is no fan noise to contend with, I don't need head phones for the weak signals. There is some relay noise on transmit, but thats to be expected, I also have an ICOM PW1 which is a good amplifier, but there is some fan noise with it, it has 4 fans that come on as the temperature rises, At my station where the coaxes come into the shack it is very close to where I have my ICOM 756PRO3 and the PW1, the SGC-500 is a great addition to my little shack..............KB6HRT

K3GK Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2009 07:10 Send this review to a friend
SGC TWEAK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As an addendum to my last comment, note I was working into a dummy 50 ohm load. Working into a real load may show different results. Tweaking your 'tuner' if you use one or working into a screwdriver, or more inductive load may show more 'apparent' output.