Reviews Categories | Microphones | Electro Voice RE-20 Help

Reviews Summary for Electro Voice RE-20
Electro Voice RE-20 Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $650 to 790 (not wholesale or dis
Description: Professional quality dynamic cardiod mic made famous by broadcasters and engineers worldwide. 50, 150, and 250 ohm impedance selectable.
More info: http://www.electrovoice.com/

You can write your own review of the Electro Voice RE-20.

HB9UQX Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2013 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic US product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hi all,

Still using the RE-20 processed by the 528E, but I switched from the IC-7000 to the fabulous ANAN-100. This SDR rig's audio is from design pure, flat and crystal clear.

With my RE-20, I produce 3 types of reactions :

1. No reaction (just signal report, working condx, wx, 73 bye) 30%
2. "you've got an excellent audio" 60%
3. "You've got one of the most natural, richest and balanced audios I've ever heard" 10%

FYI, I put the SYMETRIX' audio settings on my qrz.com.

This mike is in a high price range, but take a look at the cheaper RE-320 (with a new generation neodymium magnet) which is also awesome, brighter and more sensitive than the RE-20.

I would definitely do it again.

73 HB9UQX Peter

HB9UQX Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mic for hamradio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello dear Eham readers

I'm owning a RE-20 for one month now. It's held in the original 309A shock mount and hangs on a RODE arm. Looks really professional. I preamplify and voice process it through a SYMETRIX 528E. The processor output is set on mic level towards my IC-7000 rear mic input.

On SSB, where I only use 100W, I push the parametric eq on 300 Hz and both mid and high settings on 2.5 kHz for clarity. During transmit, I always watch my ALC level and the output level on the VP (clipping) to avoid overdrive.

Useless to say that all audio reports are like "perfect modulation, broadcast audio, very nice...". And most of them unsollicitated.

On local FM, I reduce the 2.5 kHz for softer modulation.

Regarding the comments I get, I can only recommend the Electrovoice RE-20. It's quite expensive but will be a gem in your shack and in the ears of the OM's on the waves.

W4MY Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Yes, a ham mic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got a used RE20 in great shape, and have gotten good reports so far. Just going straight into the OrionII. Maybe there's room for improvement later, (EQ, etc.) but on to the purpose of this review.

This is the first mic I've owned that I can have the external speaker up at normal volume and the VOX doesn't trip! Anti-vox set to minimum level, and vox sensitivity set to the optimum for my voice. Of course the mic is pointing away from the speaker, but I'm amazed at the nearly uniform good response from the front, and seemingly complete rejection of sound from its rear!

This attribute alone makes it worth the high end price, and is truly a welcome addition to my ham shack. I only run 100W in my shack, and I have good quality XLR connectors and shielded mic cable. I guess the "hum bucking coil" is doing its job as I have no problem with RF in the audio chain.

My kids are grown and on their own, finely, so I splurged. I'm thrilled to have it!

KW6LA Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2009 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Pro Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months

The RE-20 has been a icon in the radio, voice-over markets for years. Its is by far one of the most
forgiving Mic you will ever use. It has a wonderful built in pop filter and the proximity effect is minimal.
I run this baby with sum EQ into a TS 870s with wonderful results. You may not need to equalize it
on some rigs , but I would not advise anyone to use it alone. I have other Mics in the shack to
compare it to ,but nothing comes close. I tried a Neumann TLM-103 $ 800.00 condenser in the
same radio ( equalized ) and the RE-20 was a much titer sound. There is a reason Bob pits his
famous PR-40 to this microphone. I feel that some of the other reviews do not paint the whole
picture when it comes to sound. Many if not all radios and microphones need some equalization to
bring out a full sound for each kind of voice. The 3 band EQ in some of the newer radios don’t have
what it takes to cut and carve perfection in audio . You may consider a W2ihy 8 band or some of
the others equalizers on the market. I cant understand why a reviewer would down play a Mic that
has been the most popular for voice in radio for the last 30 or more years

GM0OTS Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2009 12:47 Send this review to a friend
MY FAVOURITE  Time owned: more than 12 months
BEEN USING RE20 INTO ICOM IC775DSP+SYMETRIX 528E THROUGH BALANCED INPUT, IT NEEDS PRE-AMP, USING PRE-SONUS,ALL WAYS GET GOOD REPORTS ON QUALITY OF AUDIO.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2009 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Ragchew not DX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I aquired a PL20, same as the RE but for color. This mic has a great sound if you want to ragchew and are not working DX, maybe. Too much low end and too flat for that. You will sound like a broadcaster with this one, either on good SSB or AM. I do run the rolloff switch turned on to avoid excessive bass. Turn up the gain so you can talk back about 3 inches at least. It is supposed to negate proximity affect to some extent but you don't want to kiss it like a DJ does. Back off a little. This mic has a balanced low impedance output. I solved this by using a quality matching transformer. An added nuisance I know. But I got the mic used for 300$ in very nice condx. Can be had for less or more, like under 400 NIB. And EV still supports this mic unlike their legacy products. Big heavy mic. But can sound super when used right.

KG6AOH Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2009 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Really nice mic, worth the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having worked in radio for over 20 years, I have had an opportunity to use many different mics. Some of my stations have standardized on the ElectroVoice RE 20.

After using the RE 20 for a while, it has become one of my real favorites. Top two favorite dynamic mics are the RE 20 and the Shure SM7.

Out of curiosity, I took of the of the RE 20's into the shack and wired an XLR to 8-pin connector cable for my Kenwood transceiver. It is easy to do, just wire XLR pin 2 to the Kenwood mic audio + (pin 1) and the XLR pins 1 and 3 together to audio gnd (pin 7). To key the radio, just use the 'Send' button on the front.

Comparing the RE 20 to the Shure 450 mic, the RE 20 is way brighter, without losing low end. Signals improved as well due to the fullness pushing the transmitter a little better. Comparing the RE 20 to the Kenwood stock mic, the RE 20 is indeed bassier. The stock Kenwood hand mic has more high end to the listener. In actuality, it just has less low end than the RE 20 does. With the RE 20 bass rolloff switch in rolloff position, the RE 20 sounds WAY better than the hand mic in all respects. Although the audio level from the RE20 is a little lower than the handmic, there is still plenty of mic gain left to easily make up for it.

In closing, if you have the disposable income, buy one! Your audio reports will be positive. If you don't have the money, then don't panic, you're not missing too much. It is the mic for those with extra money who want the best. Those of you who still have to buy diapers and formula might want to put it on their wish lists.

W3JK Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2007 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Truly a Leader  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would definetly give the RE20 higher marks than whats allowed here. No knock on the Heil's or other microphones, but you have to truly listen to the difference in audio, especially the low ends to understand the true quality of this microphone. I was attracted to this microphone purely based on listening to a bunch of folks on the air. One day I was talking to Bob (HB9ASQ) and there was something very distinct about his audio and when I asked him, he went on to explain his setup. Ofcourse the RE20 was the microphone). Then I was talking to Victor (CT1AKD), once again that distinct audio was heard and when asked further, Victor mentioned that he was using an EV-RE20.
The audio that comes out of the RE20 has its own distinct audio signature which I have not heard other microphones produce. Mike WZ5Q has a nice comparison of the RE20 and the Heil. Listen to all the clips to hear the difference for yourself.
I have seen some of the other reviews where they suggest you need studio ambience to use this microphone properly, I can only say that a bad carpenter blames his tools. Fan noise etc is an issue for all good microphones, not just the RE20. My TL-922 sounds like an aircraft taking off all the time. So use a nice EQ box like W2IHY or the Behringers and cut down on those unwanted noises. Just dont try to plug in the microphone straight into your rig and say it sounds awful. If you are spending money to buy a RE20 then spend additional dollars to refine that audio and then give it to your transceiver.
You wouldnt go wrong with this microphone. I get compliments all the time on my audio and its given me a lot more encouragement to not just focus on power, antenna etc, but also on my audio.

DHJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 5, 2006 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Be careful how you use this type of microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using a studio microphone on a ham rig seems like an attractive idea but in my experience there are many factors that you need to take into consideration to achieve the kind of performance from these mics that you would expect from the price tag.

Firstly, many studio dynamics like the RE-20, the MD-421 and SM7 are only loosely directional. These mics are designed to be used in a studio where the acoustics of the room are very good. Most ham rigs are likely to be in far from acoustically ideal settings. These mics are not very good at rejecting unwanted sounds and reflections in the room. Sounds like PA fans, computer fans and the like will easily be picked up by the microphone. If there are a lot of surfaces in your room for the sounds to reflect off of, you can also expect that these reflections will also be picked up by the microphone making your audio sound live and ‘echoey’.

The point that I am trying to make is that a studio mic used in the wrong environment will not give results that befit its pricetag. If you wish to spend a lot of money on an
RE-20 or similar large diaphragm dynamic, you will need to pay some attention to the acoustics of the environment you use it in to get good results. I have nothing against the RE-20, I just think that you need to use the right mic for the right environment.

If your ham rig is in a poor acoustic environment, a microphone with a much tighter directional pattern may give better results. The Shure SM-57 is an excellent mic to use in this environment. It has a tight directional pattern, a nice presence peak and it costs much less than an RE-20.

On the other hand if you want to go to the trouble of giving your room some acoustic treatment and getting rid of the noises in your shack, you can expect that the RE-20 will sound great.

KE6PID Rating: 3/5 Jul 5, 2005 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Boss Jock Sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using a studio mic at a ham station sometimes isn't a good idea, the RE-20 is a good example of this.

The RE-20 is a studio mic, quite popular on FM stations where bass enhancement of a male announcer is desired. (Hey, Rush Limbaugh uses one) It's generally not as good on AM broadcast stations, unless you equalize it to roll off the excessive bassiness it produces. I think it was originally developed for use as a kick drum mic or something. It works better on some voices than others. I would conceder it's mid voice articulation only mediocre. A low cut switch is thoughtfully provided; this helps, but not enough. If you want to hear one, just tune the FM dial, find the station that has a mushy sounding over bassy announcer, call the station engineer (not me, we are RE-20 free here!) see what the mic is! Program directors and Jocks love these things because, well, I don't know why. They also love Corvettes and jacked up pickups with loud exhausts too, you know the type, and if you know what I am getting at, you should be laughing about now. If you are the type, then This mic IS for YOU! It has a fairly high output level; its updated sibling the RE-27 N/D is higher yet.

In the shack it works, although I never received any unsolicited audio reports, when I did ask nobody sent flowers. The common conciseness among stations I worked was it was too bassy sounding for SSB work. After rolling all the bass off it sounded only so-so. For what you need to give for this thing it should be better than just so-so. During a QSO I switched back to my Heil HC-5 hand mic, and got a high five, that sounds great! What did you just do?

On the good side it's P-pop proof. It has almost no proximity effect (it doesn't get bassier when you get close to it) It has a fairly high output level, looks "real radio" and comes with a cool trunion or add and optional shock mount and it�s just about indestructible. (Except the shock mount, that's easy to mess up)

Yeah, it's a good mic for something (like getting the PD out of your office), just not for this. And as unpopular as I may sound that's what I think!