Reviews Categories | Microphones | Electro Voice RE-20 Help

Reviews Summary for Electro Voice RE-20
Electro Voice RE-20 Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $650 to 790 (not wholesale or dis
Description: Professional quality dynamic cardiod mic made famous by broadcasters and engineers worldwide. 50, 150, and 250 ohm impedance selectable.

You can write your own review of the Electro Voice RE-20.

N5CMD Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2015 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the RE20 on Amazon for about $450 USD. I also purchased the 309 A shock mount as well (it fit on my Heil boom very well).

I found that my old Heil mic cable didn't map up to the newer 3 pin RE20 - so I purchased the Heil CC-1-XLR-YB cable that connected the RE20 to my Yaesu FT1000D - and it works like a champ!

I do not have an amplifier or equalizer on the mic and found that I actually had to turn down my mic gain and the processor level. I received good clean audio reports on many DX contacts.

For what it is worth, I was going between the Heil PR40 and the Electrovoice RE20. One of the key reasons that I went with the RE20 is because it allowed you to move around the microphone without losing voice/dynamic range as you talked vs. the Heil which (even according to their own web site) cites that you have to straight into the mic. I operate with my mic slightly to the side to prevent the "puff factor." I also tend to do a lot with the radio and amp so I didn't like that I was so restricted by the Heil PR40 (if you go even slightly off center your voice levels drop pretty quickly with the PR40).

** There are plenty of youtube videos that compare these mics - you can see and hear the difference! Check them out before you invest in either as minimally you'll be spending USD $300+

Like the other reviews, I am thrilled with this mic and it really looks professional in the ham shack.

73's and good DXing!
W1OBJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2015 10:26 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After playing with several microphones I got the RE 20, no question its the better of them all.
I am currently running the RE 20 through the IHY 8 band EQ and EQ Plus with the Icom 756 Pro 3 with amazing results.
W4ACW Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2014 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Broadcast Standard  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am pretty sure I won't have to buy another microphone again. Had many including, some Heil's mics and the Rode Procaster which is another good one and best for the money. The RE20 is just smoother by comparison.
HB9UQX Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2013 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic US product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hi all,

Still using the RE-20 processed by the 528E, but I switched from the IC-7000 to the fabulous ANAN-100. This SDR rig's audio is from design pure, flat and crystal clear.

With my RE-20, I produce 3 types of reactions :

1. No reaction (just signal report, working condx, wx, 73 bye) 30%
2. "you've got an excellent audio" 60%
3. "You've got one of the most natural, richest and balanced audios I've ever heard" 10%

FYI, I put the SYMETRIX' audio settings on my

This mike is in a high price range, but take a look at the cheaper RE-320 (with a new generation neodymium magnet) which is also awesome, brighter and more sensitive than the RE-20.

I would definitely do it again.

73 HB9UQX Peter
HB9UQX Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mic for hamradio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello dear Eham readers

I'm owning a RE-20 for one month now. It's held in the original 309A shock mount and hangs on a RODE arm. Looks really professional. I preamplify and voice process it through a SYMETRIX 528E. The processor output is set on mic level towards my IC-7000 rear mic input.

On SSB, where I only use 100W, I push the parametric eq on 300 Hz and both mid and high settings on 2.5 kHz for clarity. During transmit, I always watch my ALC level and the output level on the VP (clipping) to avoid overdrive.

Useless to say that all audio reports are like "perfect modulation, broadcast audio, very nice...". And most of them unsollicitated.

On local FM, I reduce the 2.5 kHz for softer modulation.

Regarding the comments I get, I can only recommend the Electrovoice RE-20. It's quite expensive but will be a gem in your shack and in the ears of the OM's on the waves.
W4MY Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Yes, a ham mic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got a used RE20 in great shape, and have gotten good reports so far. Just going straight into the OrionII. Maybe there's room for improvement later, (EQ, etc.) but on to the purpose of this review.

This is the first mic I've owned that I can have the external speaker up at normal volume and the VOX doesn't trip! Anti-vox set to minimum level, and vox sensitivity set to the optimum for my voice. Of course the mic is pointing away from the speaker, but I'm amazed at the nearly uniform good response from the front, and seemingly complete rejection of sound from its rear!

This attribute alone makes it worth the high end price, and is truly a welcome addition to my ham shack. I only run 100W in my shack, and I have good quality XLR connectors and shielded mic cable. I guess the "hum bucking coil" is doing its job as I have no problem with RF in the audio chain.

My kids are grown and on their own, finely, so I splurged. I'm thrilled to have it!
KW6LA Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2009 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Pro Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months

The RE-20 has been a icon in the radio, voice-over markets for years. Its is by far one of the most
forgiving Mic you will ever use. It has a wonderful built in pop filter and the proximity effect is minimal.
I run this baby with sum EQ into a TS 870s with wonderful results. You may not need to equalize it
on some rigs , but I would not advise anyone to use it alone. I have other Mics in the shack to
compare it to ,but nothing comes close. I tried a Neumann TLM-103 $ 800.00 condenser in the
same radio ( equalized ) and the RE-20 was a much titer sound. There is a reason Bob pits his
famous PR-40 to this microphone. I feel that some of the other reviews do not paint the whole
picture when it comes to sound. Many if not all radios and microphones need some equalization to
bring out a full sound for each kind of voice. The 3 band EQ in some of the newer radios donít have
what it takes to cut and carve perfection in audio . You may consider a W2ihy 8 band or some of
the others equalizers on the market. I cant understand why a reviewer would down play a Mic that
has been the most popular for voice in radio for the last 30 or more years
GM0OTS Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2009 12:47 Send this review to a friend
MY FAVOURITE  Time owned: more than 12 months
W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2009 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Ragchew not DX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I aquired a PL20, same as the RE but for color. This mic has a great sound if you want to ragchew and are not working DX, maybe. Too much low end and too flat for that. You will sound like a broadcaster with this one, either on good SSB or AM. I do run the rolloff switch turned on to avoid excessive bass. Turn up the gain so you can talk back about 3 inches at least. It is supposed to negate proximity affect to some extent but you don't want to kiss it like a DJ does. Back off a little. This mic has a balanced low impedance output. I solved this by using a quality matching transformer. An added nuisance I know. But I got the mic used for 300$ in very nice condx. Can be had for less or more, like under 400 NIB. And EV still supports this mic unlike their legacy products. Big heavy mic. But can sound super when used right.
KG6AOH Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2009 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Really nice mic, worth the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having worked in radio for over 20 years, I have had an opportunity to use many different mics. Some of my stations have standardized on the ElectroVoice RE 20.

After using the RE 20 for a while, it has become one of my real favorites. Top two favorite dynamic mics are the RE 20 and the Shure SM7.

Out of curiosity, I took of the of the RE 20's into the shack and wired an XLR to 8-pin connector cable for my Kenwood transceiver. It is easy to do, just wire XLR pin 2 to the Kenwood mic audio + (pin 1) and the XLR pins 1 and 3 together to audio gnd (pin 7). To key the radio, just use the 'Send' button on the front.

Comparing the RE 20 to the Shure 450 mic, the RE 20 is way brighter, without losing low end. Signals improved as well due to the fullness pushing the transmitter a little better. Comparing the RE 20 to the Kenwood stock mic, the RE 20 is indeed bassier. The stock Kenwood hand mic has more high end to the listener. In actuality, it just has less low end than the RE 20 does. With the RE 20 bass rolloff switch in rolloff position, the RE 20 sounds WAY better than the hand mic in all respects. Although the audio level from the RE20 is a little lower than the handmic, there is still plenty of mic gain left to easily make up for it.

In closing, if you have the disposable income, buy one! Your audio reports will be positive. If you don't have the money, then don't panic, you're not missing too much. It is the mic for those with extra money who want the best. Those of you who still have to buy diapers and formula might want to put it on their wish lists.