Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | KLM KT34A Help

Reviews Summary for KLM KT34A
KLM KT34A Reviews: 17 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,100
Description: HF DIRECTIONAL ANTENNAS

You can write your own review of the KLM KT34A.

KE5J Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2013 23:33 Send this review to a friend
28 years old and still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been 6 years since the last review so here is what I've got to say about the KLM-KT34A. I purchased the antenna new back in 1985. For 21 years the KLM was mounted on a 50ft Rohn 25G. In 2006 I moved the antenna to a 55ft US Towers crankup. I live on a hilltop in southeast Oklahoma. The antenna has handled well several wind storms and gusts in excess of 50 mph. Three years ago we had an estimated straight wind speed of 75 mph plus. Our neighbors metal roof was blown off. The antenna survived with no damage at all. It has been coated with ice several times since 1985 with no problems. Here in Oklahoma we have had many many days of 100 degree plus temps. Two weeks ago the tower was down for installation of a new VHF dual band vertical. That was the first time the KLM was examined closely since it was moved to the new tower in 2006. All the plastic was in excellent shape. The tubing was also in good shape. The only thing I did was just back off and retighten the nuts and tighten the clamps. And I did reseal the coax connection. I probably should have separated the tubing for a clean up job but didn't. I have never had a SWR problem with the antenna since it was new. Since SWR has never been a problem I just didn't want to mess with taking the antenna apart for a cleaning. It is no problem at all to lower and lay over the tower if the antenna ever needs a work over. Since it has been trouble free for 28 years I just left it as is other than the clamp and nut and bolt adjustments. Not going to mention gain or signal reports because the KLM is the only tribander Yagi I've ever had, nothing to compare it with. I work mostly PSK on the low ends of the bands and have no problem working who I can here, DX and stateside. All I can say is the antenna has performed well and is as structurally sound as the day I first installed it. Some day I may purchase the M2 overhaul kit, but now I see no need in doing that. With a crank down and lay over tower working on the antenna is no problem at all if it ever needs an overhaul.

K1ZX Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2007 04:21 Send this review to a friend
The Finest.  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 1991, my KT-34A initially went up 33' on a Universal Aluminum Tower. After it was fully-tweaked with an antenna analyzer, it produced extraordinary reciprocal results using only 100 watts of drive, EXTREMELY FLAT across the lower portion of the band (worst-case showing a steep rise to 1.3:1 at the high edge). Anything heard was worked with ease, busting pile-ups and making it the finest DX Yagi I've ever used for 10/15/20. The linear sat idle for those occasional instances when the band started to fade on a rare one, with a lot of noisy State-Side competition!

Although I later raised the tower to 42' and added the 6-element kit (KT-36XA), I would recommend sticking with the basic 4-element configuration with the 16' boom. Unless you are trying for DXCC Honor Roll, the extra gain improvement of extra elements & lower take-off pattern of raising it higher really isn't worth the additional effort and expense. Stacking a 2nd KT-34A would be a better investment if you really feel the need for a 3dB improvement.

You won't be disappointed with its outstanding 4-element performance if you dab all the mechanical junctions with RF grease, and keep it shiney with an extra spray coating of clear-coat polyurethane (Surface oxidation & corrosion are killers!). Enjoy, and happy DX hunting!

Lorraine, K1ZX

ON5ZO Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2005 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Signs of old age but still FB  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The KT34XA (6el) is the first triband yagi I own. It is on a crank up tower and I have very good results with this antenna when it's between 15m and 18m above the ground. 2:1 SWR bandwith covers all bands, with SWR lower than 1.5 in the CW subbands.
It works great on 20m and when conDX on 10m allow it plays very well there too. 15m performance is also good but it "feels" slightly less than the other two bands (feeling, no measurements).

I bought it second hand for a good price. I put in a lot of hours refurbishing it: cleaning contacts, rivetting where allowed for extra connections, made new straps to connect linear loading elements etc.

I did a small survey, and the new antennas that come close or have better specs carry a price tag that is two or three times the price I paid for this antenna. Now that I'm playing with it, I think it is a good deal. The design might be a little outdated (full size elements are hip these days) and troublesome when it comes to maintenance, but for me the KT34XA works great and this beam will serve its time.

If you can get hold of one and it isn't too worn out, get it!

- ON5ZO

K6YE Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2005 03:25 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna and think it is AWESOME! I had it up 20 meters and it was flat over the three designed bands. With it and a KT-34XA, I worked 200+ countries with relative ease. I am replacing with a Force-12 C4XLD because I want 40 meters on a single boom (I would love to have the Fluidmotion MONSTIR but will not shell out the required $4K pricetag). We moved from California to Colorado in 2004 and I desire to the keep aluminum to a minimum. So with the C4XLD and a 160-80-40 Sloper, I will have all of the HF bands in a small area. If you can find a KT-34A at a modest price and in great condition, buy it! In addition, M-Square (M2) offers upgrade kits for it that will make it virtually maintenance free. You will not regret the decision!
Tommy - K6YE

VA3UT Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2003 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Real pile-up buster  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put up this antenna about a month ago and it is fantastic. I cannot measure the gain or FB but it simply works great to my ears. With only 100W, it doesn't take much work to beat the pile up. I haven't fired up my TL-922 yet, but it is obvious how it is going to work with this antenna.
I initially had a plan with small antenna but came across with this big gun, and now I know that I made a right decision. It took a little more work due to its size and weight, but it pays off every bit of it.
Mine actually was KT-34XA when I bought, but I had to cut it to KT-34A because of the small backyard, even though it is a decent size in a city. KT-34M2 upgrade must be nice but I don't think I need it yet while I don't have any problem.
SWR is less than 1.5 for the entire bandwidth on 20 and 15m, and 28.0~29.0 portion of 10m. My life-long dream finally came true. I have been a ham since 1981 but now I have a real antenna.

VE3YF Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2002 10:04 Send this review to a friend
KT34A To KT34M2 Upgrade Completed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just finished completing the KLM KT34A - KT34M2 Upgrade. I did have have some problems with tubing lengths at first, but Mike (K6MYC) solved that problem by coming out with some revised dimensions for me. The upgrade has made this antenna much more robust and
by all accounts it should perform likewise. I have the antenna resting on a 23' temp tower and
the SWR on 10m is 1.2 or better from 28.000 - 29.000 and then rises slowly to 1.5 at 28.500. On 15 the SWR is 1.2 or better across the entire band. On 20m the SWR is 1.35 or better across the entire band with some dips to 1.2. I am sure the dips will change in freq once the beam is away from current surroundins ie house and 55' tower and up to its final resting place of 55'. So Far So Good and the upgrade from M2 is well worth the $$$ and the time and should last me for years to come.

73 De Mike
VE3YF

WB6MYL Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2002 01:48 Send this review to a friend
You Forget About It!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just like my old Astron PS and my 1000D,the KT34A gives consistent outstanding performance day in and day out that you forget about it; this is my first and only beam that I have had (may be my last) so I have little to compare it with, but the reports have been good; IK4JPR's comments have spurred this review as the SWR is higher (not a lot) on 15 as opposed to almost flat on 10 and 20; this higher SWR is present all thru the 15m band and does not go away. Still get good reports but SWR seems to be about 1.8 on 15M thanx for reading.

IK4JPR Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2002 06:40 Send this review to a friend
klm kt34a from 10 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a problem on 15 mtr. The capacitors caps are good, and sametime the swr is ok, samtime is high. Only on 15, because in 14 or 28 are ok.
Anyone have same similar experiences??
Please contact me at s.ascari@tin.it

KK5DR Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2002 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had my KT-34A up for 12 years, and it never failed.
Went through some really horrible storms, but stayed up.
SWR never changed in the entire time.
If it had the WARC bands on it, I would still have it today.
Replacing it with a Tennadyne T-12
Keep an eye on my web site for my review with pictures there, soon.

K1KP Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2002 18:23 Send this review to a friend
M2 Has Parts!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
M2 has a complete replacement for the KT34A, which they call the KT34. They also have upgrade kits and sell replacement parts. All parts are now tubing or machined aluminum, including element-boom clamps, except for fiberglass insulators for driven elements. I built a KT36XA and it is a terrific mechanical improvement on the previous excellent electrical design, with some measurement tweaks from modern modelling techniques that improve gain and F/B.

Go M2!!