Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | KLM KT34A Help

Reviews Summary for KLM KT34A
KLM KT34A Reviews: 17 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,100
Description: HF DIRECTIONAL ANTENNAS

You can write your own review of the KLM KT34A.

WB2IHM Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2002 16:04 Send this review to a friend
72 MPH  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently lost my 30 year old KT34A to extreme
72MPH wind gusts. Its probably repairable but the plastic insulators are cracked and need replacing as well. If parts were available I would probably try to resurrect. Best antenna I ever tried. A great antenna. If M2 ever makes a replicate sign me up!

ON4CCP Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2002 14:08 Send this review to a friend
The best 3-bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a KT34-X-A but detected quickly that the motor was too poor to survive heavy winds on the almost 10m boom. Decided to transform the antenna to a KT34A, and I couldn't detect much difference in gain. Never missed a pile-up, and good swr performance (no need for a tuner). I contest winning antenna for all hams who cannot place monoband yagi's.

OE3ZK Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2001 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna but small in size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use a KT34A since 1985 with great success in chasing DX and contesting and without any problems. Even through many storms and heavy icing this antenna stood up on my 56 feet crank up tower. This summer I had a first service check on it. The only thing I noted was the some of the trap insulating materials got cracked from too much UV exposure during the last 16 years. It is a pity that this antenna is not built anymore. A 2 element version with the same great design just for the WARC bands would be a wonderful addition.

VE3HI Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2001 00:15 Send this review to a friend
The brightest stars burn out first!  Time owned: more than 12 months
During the five years that I had my KT-34XA up I was constantly astounded by its performance. Not just above average performance but outstanding performance. Nothing that I have used before or since has come close. Regretably, I sold the KT-34XA when we moved to this new house. The tower's up (75 ft.), the rotor's ready to go (Hygain HDR300) and I even have a HyGain TH7 ready to go up.... but what I really want is another KLM KT-34XA!!!!!!!!!!! (Anyone know where I can find one?)

WA2CCN Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2001 12:53 Send this review to a friend
I want another one but can't find one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the years I've owned two KLM KT-34A's (2 different QTH's). They were mounted at ~ 55' and just performed spectacularly! Excellent forward gain, F/S ration, and veyr acceptable F/B ratio. Two of the major reasons I went the '34A route were relatively small size and extremely wide bandwidth. I wasn't disappointed. Although (as a ham) I happen to think that a lot of aluminum tubing hanging in the air is a thing of beauty, I realize that neither my wife nor my neighbors share my sense of art in this matter. The '34A wasn't a giant insect hanging in the air, ready to pounde on some unsuspecting victim! It looks OK! Bandwidth was below 1.3:1 across all three bands! Signal reports from DX compared to other local hams with all kinds of antennas (including much bigger tri-banders and even a couple single-banders were always stronger with the '34... even as much as 2-3 S-units (!), and a solid 3+ S-units over a dipole or vertical.

It's a big job to assemble - really gotta pay attention - but that's a one time task.

It's VERY robust - 3" dia boom - really strong!

My problem now is that I can't find a new or used one, and M2 (who is "kinda" taking KLM's place) hasn't release their KT-34M yet. They tell me it won't be available until the fall or next year. DRAT! Anybody out there got one they wanna sell?

KS9Y Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2001 17:23 Send this review to a friend
This is a super antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up at 50 feet for 18 years and it is still working very well. The swr re-
mains very good across the bands. During the time that I've owned it I've managed to work over
330 countries. It has been exposed to winds in access of 75 mph and has gone through several
ice storms. It has been an exceptional antenna. If I had a gripe at all it would be that it doesn't cover the WARC bands.

EA4AZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2001 17:12 Send this review to a friend
PILE UP BREAKER  Time owned: more than 12 months
I THINK THAT THE KT34A IS ONE OF THE BEST 5,5 METERS BOOM TRIBANDERS IN THE WORLD.
I HAVE INCREDIBLE VERY STRONG SIGNALS AROUND THE WORLD.
MY FRIENDS VERY CLOSE TO MY QTH HAVE A FORCE 12 C4 , C3S, C3 , C19XR.....AND MY KLM WINS.
I HAVE MORE STRONGER SIGNALS THAN THE FORCE USERS.
THE BEST BAND FOR ME 2OM.
NO PROBLEMS IN A 1,8 KW CONTINOUS OUTPUT POWER AND 59++++ IN ALL PACIFIC AREA LONG PATH.