Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ten Tec Model 229 / 229B Help

Reviews Summary for Ten Tec Model 229 / 229B
Ten Tec Model 229 / 229B Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $175 - 225 used as of 2/2002
Description: Antenna Tuner

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec Model 229 / 229B.

WK9L Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2006 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Awesome !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The best tuner I have ever used. Takes 1500 watts and dont even break a sweat. Tunes everything I have to tune very easily. Built like a tank. A oldie but goody.

W0SWR Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2005 18:57 Send this review to a friend
If you can find one...GET IT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 229B four years ago on ebay for under two bills and it arrived in the original box with book. After a good read of the manual I hooked it up and its been in service since. These are built well, with good quality parts and can take legal limit with ease. It is easy to use and can match anything I have connected to it. I read in others reviews about the bulb behind the swr meter, I am still using the one it came with and can't say anything about them. The only comparison I have is a mfj I used for several years which was harder to adjust with high swr at legal limit and a BW-1500 which was also good, but not as easy to use as the 229B. I have matched trapped dipoles, long wires, several vee wires even matched my tower for 40 mtrs. These are getting a little hard to find now, but if you want a well made tuner, one that's easy to use, and will match just about anything you can connect it to, then this is a good choice. Since the case is aluminum, well built, and light, it could be used for field work, if you don't mind the size. I think I have found a tuner that's a 'keeper'.

K9PX Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2004 23:39 Send this review to a friend
Stands the test of time.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 229-B since 1988 and haven't found anything it can't match. Other than the normal bulb replacement it's been trouble free. Even the dial string is still going strong.

K4TOR Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2004 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this tuner (229B) for a little over a year. No problems whatsoever. Only complain is that the bulbs in the dial burns out pretty fast, by putting 13.8 volts on them. When tuning to a specific frequency, the tuner stays tuned over a very broad frequency band, compared to many other tuners, due to the low loss L-section.
No arcs, coughs or anything else while giving it full legal limit.

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2004 03:11 Send this review to a friend
$ 4 $ # 4 # :>)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked up this little jewel in North Carolina at a hamfest and have never been sorry.
I ordered a box for Ten Tec. I changed the lights to Blue, I LOVE IT....
de ke4ex

K9YC Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2003 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up this vintage KW tuner at a hamfest for $160, and I'm awfully glad that I did. It's an L-section tuner, which, as the manual explains, provides the match with the lowest possible Q for any given antenna/feedline combination.

A major advantage of the L-section configuration is that compared to another very nice tuner, the Drake MN7, the Ten Tec 229 provides a match over a much broader frequency range. As a result, I can operate the entire width of most ham bands without retuning, or with only slight retuning, even with antennas that aren't cut for the bands in question. This is quite convenient for a contest, or when switching from CW to phone.

Electrically, this tuner is quite similar (identical) to the later model 238 reviewed in QST several years ago, and my assessment is the same as theirs. A terminal is provided on the rear panel so that an external capacitor can be added to match very low impedances on 160. Like the QST reviewer, I needed to add 2200 pf to match my 80/40 trap dipole on 160 meters, but when I did, the match was quite good.

I don't have the instrumentation to confirm the ARRL reviewer's efficiency numbers, which were quite good. And although the tuner I bought includes a balun, I don't currently have an antenna that needs it. It does look like a very nice balun.

The tuner is rated for 1 KW, and I'm using it with 100 watt rigs. A nice side benefit of the power rating is slightly better efficiencey. The tuner has four coaxial inputs switched to a single transceiver. The fourth input also connects to balanced feeders via the balun (of course, you can't use the #4 coax input at the same time).

This tuner is well built, and is a real winner.

Jim Brown K9YC (ex-W9NEC)

KA5N Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2002 19:04 Send this review to a friend
TOP NOTCH TUNER!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Ten Tec 229 at a swapfest for $100. It had broken SWR pushbutton switches. Ten Tec supplied these for less than $5! This tuner will load anything to any band and give a low SWR. Of course it won't magically improve the effiency of short antennas. Great repeatability. I plan to keep mine forever.
Allen KA5N

KA7GLI Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2002 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Ant Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very well built, 2KW rated, heavy duty antenna tuner, with silver-plated roller inductor, and wide range capacitor set-up that allows tuning from 10-160 meters.
Includes a balun for balanced feedline connections, 4-position antenna switch, 4 coax connectors, 1 random wire antenna connection.
Lighted dial for power and SWR measurements; 12v dc required, and can usually be connected to terminal at back of most modern xcvrs.
Ten-Tec support may be the best in the industry, and so far this unit has not been a problem.
Equal or better than the the Drake MN series for tuning range, bacause Drake selector switches do not include the WARC bands.
Grab one if you can find it on the used market, or buy the new model from Ten-Tec.