Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles Help

Reviews Summary for Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles
Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $19.95 - 112.75
Description: HF Wire Antennas

You can write your own review of the Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles.

N0AVR Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2018 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Great quality, service, and price.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently installed a Hy Power 80M/40M fan dipole and couldn't be happier. The 40M section is installed as an Inverted V. Installation isn't idea. It's not high enough and the Inverted V isn't at a great angle. Nevertheless, the antenna is working great on both bands. Quality of construction is fantastic. Service is even better. Price was also very reasonable. I originally called Dean, the owner, for some guidance on which antenna would fit my needs. He was extremely helpful and went above and beyond what I would have expected. I also received the antenna very quickly. I am extremely pleased with the entire experience and highly recommend Hy Power.
WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2018 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple, incredibly rugged.

I have one for 40 and a pair of phased dipoles for 80. Fairly stealthy also.
N4YX Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2017 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered two sets of the 160m loading coils. Top notch manufacturing quality. EZ install; twist & crimp. Added one set to an existing all-band, balance fed inverted vee dipole to enhance the performance on 160. Tunes beautifully! Other set went to local ham friend for same purpose.
K9CRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2017 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Solid construction   Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed a 160 m dipole several years ago and it has stood the test of time. Up over 60ft in snow & ice it just plays. Also I ordered a set of coils for 160 m to make my own shorty 160 in a different qth. These coils are wonderful and includes instruction where to place them in the antenna. Again this antenna just plays and plays.

To sum it up his webpage isn't fancy but his product is solid and shipping is fast. Install these products and forget them they are dependable
KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2017 13:41 Send this review to a friend
No Complaints  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered this antennas about 6 months, replaced a Very Good G5RV
that worked very well, Found a way to get this 135' antenna up in the place of the G5RV putting a kick in the 85' end. This antenna is very close to a G5RV in being a quite antenna with a good signal to noise ratio. It get all bands that the antenna is rated for plus Broadcast and SW bands well, installed 40' at the apex 15' at the ends, another winner from HY Power Antenna company, Thank You Barry.....................kb6hrt
KG6AOH Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2016 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely butt-kicking antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for OCF40 (5KW version).

Compared to another OCF Windom type antenna, the Hy Power antenna gives consistently better signals when switching between the two, and better SWR most of the time.

I erected the OCF40 as a flat top, strung between two towers with insulators every 5 feet on each end to make up the extra space between the towers.

The only issue I had was the antenna wire stretched a little during the first couple of weeks it was up, and then the stretching stopped. When it stretched, it did lower the resonant frequencies a bit on each band, but not so bad that it wasn't usable. One of these days, I do plan to drop the antenna and shorten it a little.

Barry gives EXCELLENT support. Very good email communications. He said that when you do shorten it, make sure to take about twice the length off the long side as you do the short side. Good to know.

Compared to longwires or monoband dipoles or G5RV antennas, the Hy Power OCF absolutely kicks their butt. Unbelievable improvement! Also, it works excellent for SWLing. Not so good for AM BCB DX.

As for power handling, I don't know (yet). It claims to be able to handle 5KW, so my full legal limit amp should be no problem. So far, I have only used 100 watts, and have never had to repeat my callsign when calling a station. They always hear me FB!
KF4WSN Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2016 23:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great Antenna with Great Support. Barry will take the time to make sure that you are good to go.
I started out with an OCF80 and loved it so much I added another OCF40 And another OCF40 to travel with. Out of the box it is ready to go. I have tried others that did not give the same results. you can spend more but wont find a better performer.
WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2016 07:15 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PRODUCT/EXCELLENT SUPPORT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These antennas are built well and perform EXCELLENT! I am very pleased with the support that Barry gives you after you buy one of his antennas. He backs up his antennas with being there to help you with any of your questions. Thanks and keep up the great job Barry of providing EXCELLENT antennas to amateurs world-wide!!!
W1EBI Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2016 14:01 Send this review to a friend
The gold standard for wire antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
My original eHam review of Hy Power antennas was shortly after my initial purchase more than eight years ago. Since then I have created a "farm" of eleven Hy Power dipoles erected among the trees in my heavily wooded suburban lot. I am currently using a tri-band array for 20-15-10, another tri-band array for 30-17-12, a dual array for 40-20, another custom dual array for 80-20, and a loaded dipole as an inverted V for 160 and 40, all center-fed with 400-type coax. While I admire ops who prefer to cut and tune their own wire antennas, I happen to appreciate the excellent materials and build quality of Hy Power products, and Hy Power probably gets the gold medal for price-performance. I just worked VP8SGI for my DXCC entity number 331, so that puts me on the Honor Roll--along with Hy Power. Never underestimate the simple dipole!

NU4X Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2015 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent PRODUCT AND SUPPORT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using one of Barry's short 160M Dipoles, I have been testing it at QRP (5 watt) level in the ARRL 160 Contest this weekend, and it is performing very well, right out of the package, with 120 feet of feed line. 33 ARRL Sections- up into central Canada, and down into Mexico.

If this antenna can do this well at 5 watts, imagine how it will play at 100 watts or more! Another excellent antenna from Barry at Hy Power Antenna Co. !