Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles Help

Reviews Summary for Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles
Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $19.95 - 112.75
Description: HF Wire Antennas
More info: http://www.freewebs.com/hypower

You can write your own review of the Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles.

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2016 07:15 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PRODUCT/EXCELLENT SUPPORT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These antennas are built well and perform EXCELLENT! I am very pleased with the support that Barry gives you after you buy one of his antennas. He backs up his antennas with being there to help you with any of your questions. Thanks and keep up the great job Barry of providing EXCELLENT antennas to amateurs world-wide!!!

W1EBI Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2016 14:01 Send this review to a friend
The gold standard for wire antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
My original eHam review of Hy Power antennas was shortly after my initial purchase more than eight years ago. Since then I have created a "farm" of eleven Hy Power dipoles erected among the trees in my heavily wooded suburban lot. I am currently using a tri-band array for 20-15-10, another tri-band array for 30-17-12, a dual array for 40-20, another custom dual array for 80-20, and a loaded dipole as an inverted V for 160 and 40, all center-fed with 400-type coax. While I admire ops who prefer to cut and tune their own wire antennas, I happen to appreciate the excellent materials and build quality of Hy Power products, and Hy Power probably gets the gold medal for price-performance. I just worked VP8SGI for my DXCC entity number 331, so that puts me on the Honor Roll--along with Hy Power. Never underestimate the simple dipole!

NU4X Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2015 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent PRODUCT AND SUPPORT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using one of Barry's short 160M Dipoles, I have been testing it at QRP (5 watt) level in the ARRL 160 Contest this weekend, and it is performing very well, right out of the package, with 120 feet of feed line. 33 ARRL Sections- up into central Canada, and down into Mexico.

If this antenna can do this well at 5 watts, imagine how it will play at 100 watts or more! Another excellent antenna from Barry at Hy Power Antenna Co. !

KU3S Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2015 13:03 Send this review to a friend
40 Meter OCF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OCF 40 meter dipole at height of 25 feet at center and in inverted Vee configuration is working extremely well. Been up for two weeks and I couldn't be happier. Nice quality product. Barry is very helpful and eager to help. Highly recommend.

WA3HVR Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2015 19:13 Send this review to a friend
80 meter OCF a winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Barry has been telling me to get one of these to replace my G5RV for quite some time. Finally, I have tall trees to support that antenna, so I just put it up and took the old one down. Since I have a great 15 meter antenna, the 80 OCF was a good choice and is the biggest wire that will fit my lot. I really like the change. This is a very well built heavy duty antenna and it works very well. I just hope that Barry doesn't say " I told you so" when I talk to him next. Great product. Go get one!

N2FRH Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2015 19:26 Send this review to a friend
A Great Antenna -The OCF 80 meter dipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The OCF multi-band dipole is a super antenna! The price was right while still utilizing top quality materials. I put this dipole up in sub-zero weather and only got the feedpoint up about 20ft with the legs at 10ft.
I am getting all kinds of DX on 10, 12, 17 and 20 meters, and good contacts on 80 and 40 also. I'm hitting South America, the Ukraine, Italy, Croatia, and all kinds of great stuff with this dipole out my second story window. Thanks so much to Barry for the recommendation.

KK4BSM Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Workhorse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a 40m Dipole from HyPower at about 40' AGL. Instead of using coax, I use 450 ohm Ladderline. After 9 months of barefoot use, I already have WAS on 40m and Triple Play all thanks to this antenna. Seems to be holding up well.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2014 14:44 Send this review to a friend
LD 1682 160m Ant  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hy Power Ant Company makes fine products that work well, Called Barry on friday and ordered the LD 1682 shortened 160m dipole, with little of a twist, wanted it set up for 450LL, no problem and no extra cost, sent him my check about an hour after I ordered the antenna, yesterday was digging out the ladder line from storage an found a LD1682 antenna that I had ordered from him in 2009, I converted this antenna to be feed with 450LL , called Barry back he is going to build me a 40-75m shortened dipole to use with ladder line for the same price. Installed the LD1682 this morning an when I checked it out the SWR on 160m at 1850 was 1 to 1 what can I say but, THANK YOU BARRY that is why I use HY POWER ANTENNAS! With LL on a LD1682S
a good antenna tuner this antenna works 10-160m comfirmed. . (BARRY KNOWS ANTENNAS THANK YOU,)..........kb6hrt

KB9DFE Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2013 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Effective Shortened QRP Antennas Works Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have installed the 30m, QRP dipole antenna with shortened coils to get on the air. It's only 17' long, but gets me on 30m and I have coverage at least from East Coast to West Coast. May not be the strongest signal, but it lets you get on the air. It was resonant at about 9.8Mhz when I got it. I trimmed about 2.75" off of it and and get about 1.3:1 or better at 10.150 Mhz.

I installed my own Balun from a different company to replace the center conductor it came with and that works fine. The configuration is as a true horizontal dipole...no center support.

Not the strongest signal on the band, but that is probably due partly to only having it 25' off the air in addition to its physical shortness and use of coils, but if you are limited for space, I would recommend one.

Their 40m antenna is just over 30' long and I have enough space for that, too, so I might try one to get on 40m and report back.

W1ROM Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2013 02:49 Send this review to a friend
My new "forever" antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't know how I have been a ham for 37 years and not ever before tried an Off Center Fed antenna before! I've been using G5RV's and lately a Cobra Ultralight Senior, and always needed an external tuner to get them to work. Also, the Cobra caused massive RF in my house, getting into just about every device with a speaker attached. Anyway, while cruising on 75m one evening I heard a station who was being complemented on his gain in signal strength by his friends, and he was telling them about a new antenna that he's put up that day and how great it was. It was a HyPower OCF80. The next day I ordered one and it came a week later. It was very impressively constructed! All stainless, a NEMA weather sealed 4kw current balun, and really heavy-duty plastic sheathed wire. Adding up the components individually I came up with $80 for the balun and $40 for the wire. HyPower sells this antenna fully assembled and ready to hang for $125! It's a real deal... other places are selling inferior OCF antennas for over $200. Anyway, this baby tunes on all the bands with my built in tuners on my Yaesu FT-920 and FT-450D (the one with the classic knobs). The antenna is giving me at least one to 2 "S" units stronger signals on receive and I suspect my transmitted signal signal will be equally improved... once I've got some experience with it I'll post another supplemental review. But I have a strong feeling that this is my new wire antenna of choice!