Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles Help

Reviews Summary for Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles
Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $19.95 - 112.75
Description: HF Wire Antennas
More info: http://www.freewebs.com/hypower

You can write your own review of the Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2014 14:44 Send this review to a friend
LD 1682 160m Ant  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hy Power Ant Company makes fine products that work well, Called Barry on friday and ordered the LD 1682 shortened 160m dipole, with little of a twist, wanted it set up for 450LL, no problem and no extra cost, sent him my check about an hour after I ordered the antenna, yesterday was digging out the ladder line from storage an found a LD1682 antenna that I had ordered from him in 2009, I converted this antenna to be feed with 450LL , called Barry back he is going to build me a 40-75m shortened dipole to use with ladder line for the same price. Installed the LD1682 this morning an when I checked it out the SWR on 160m at 1850 was 1 to 1 what can I say but, THANK YOU BARRY that is why I use HY POWER ANTENNAS! With LL on a LD1682S
a good antenna tuner this antenna works 10-160m comfirmed. . (BARRY KNOWS ANTENNAS THANK YOU,)..........kb6hrt

KB9DFE Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2013 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Effective Shortened QRP Antennas Works Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have installed the 30m, QRP dipole antenna with shortened coils to get on the air. It's only 17' long, but gets me on 30m and I have coverage at least from East Coast to West Coast. May not be the strongest signal, but it lets you get on the air. It was resonant at about 9.8Mhz when I got it. I trimmed about 2.75" off of it and and get about 1.3:1 or better at 10.150 Mhz.

I installed my own Balun from a different company to replace the center conductor it came with and that works fine. The configuration is as a true horizontal dipole...no center support.

Not the strongest signal on the band, but that is probably due partly to only having it 25' off the air in addition to its physical shortness and use of coils, but if you are limited for space, I would recommend one.

Their 40m antenna is just over 30' long and I have enough space for that, too, so I might try one to get on 40m and report back.

W1ROM Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2013 02:49 Send this review to a friend
My new "forever" antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't know how I have been a ham for 37 years and not ever before tried an Off Center Fed antenna before! I've been using G5RV's and lately a Cobra Ultralight Senior, and always needed an external tuner to get them to work. Also, the Cobra caused massive RF in my house, getting into just about every device with a speaker attached. Anyway, while cruising on 75m one evening I heard a station who was being complemented on his gain in signal strength by his friends, and he was telling them about a new antenna that he's put up that day and how great it was. It was a HyPower OCF80. The next day I ordered one and it came a week later. It was very impressively constructed! All stainless, a NEMA weather sealed 4kw current balun, and really heavy-duty plastic sheathed wire. Adding up the components individually I came up with $80 for the balun and $40 for the wire. HyPower sells this antenna fully assembled and ready to hang for $125! It's a real deal... other places are selling inferior OCF antennas for over $200. Anyway, this baby tunes on all the bands with my built in tuners on my Yaesu FT-920 and FT-450D (the one with the classic knobs). The antenna is giving me at least one to 2 "S" units stronger signals on receive and I suspect my transmitted signal signal will be equally improved... once I've got some experience with it I'll post another supplemental review. But I have a strong feeling that this is my new wire antenna of choice!

W8DEP Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2013 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the full size 40 and 80 meter fan dipole. The SWR is 1.1 to 1.3 across the entire 40 meter band and 1.2 across the CW portion of the 80 meter band. I use a Kenwood TS-570D and the tuner will tune the antenna for the high end of 75 meters however I prefer to use a desk top tuner. I work mainly CW and I enjoy being able switch between the bands and not have to use a tuner. I also have the Hy Power Tri-WARC
antenna which allows me to work the WARC bands and the SWR is flat across all three bands. The customer support is as good as the product they sell EXCELLENT.

NB3R Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2013 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Good quality and service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have purchased many antennas from Hy Power.

At the time of Hurricane Sandy I had two antennas supported by trees. A Tri-WARC (30,17,12) and an OCF 80. Sustained winds in our area, during the storm, were 65mph for several hours with gusts of 90mph. The antennas (and trees) survived with no damage. That should give you an idea about the build quality of these antennas.

I am currently using a Fan Dipole (160 to 10), the OCF 80, and a dipole for 160 & 40. All play great. Can't beat resonant antennas.

Barry, the owner, is very knowledgeable and is eager to answer questions. The customer service is great too.

I was first licensed in the fall of 2008. I have 19,000 Qs in my log with 9,300 confirmed in LoTW. I have DXCC on 40, 20, 15, 10, CW, Digital, and SSB. All using Hy Power antennas.

Sure a stack of Yagis on a tower would be better but that is not an option for me.

N9ZI Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2013 08:48 Send this review to a friend
DL-12DX Delta Loop  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very Happy with the DL12DX Delta Loop - Nice sturdy made all parts, comes complete with the insulators placed and ready to go.

Have worked a lot of DX with this antenna, which is what I was looking for, have received many excellent signal reports.

Very reasonable price along with fast & good customer service.

Highly recommend Hy Power Antenna Company

WR2M Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2013 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Hy-Power OCF160 Antenna & Icom PW-1 AMP, A Perfect Match   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I I recently purchased an Icom PW-1 amp to pair up with my Icom PRO3. My goal was to get an antenna that was close to being resonant to take advantage of my PW-1's fully automatic capabilities. I’ve used all the G5RV's both (104'& 208’) and always needed an outboard "wide range" tuner to operate either barefoot or ORO, thus defeating the luxury of an amp like the PW-1. Thanks to Barry at Hy-Power antennas that's all in the past now. About a month ago I reached out to Barry at Hy-Power and I described to him my operating conditions, then I also explained to him what I was trying to accomplish. We both felt I was a good candidate to hang the OCF160. His PA location is less than a one hour drive from my QTH in NW NJ so one hour later I show up at his doorstep and he was waiting for me with my antenna in hand, talk about fast service!!

A few days later I installed the antenna. Initial impression ? I was ecstatic !! The OCF 160 seemed to give me everything I was looking for. Finally I have an antenna that my ICOM PW-1 could operate with. The SWR is so good I never have the need to run my station through the Palstar AT2K outboard tuner anymore.

The antenna is set up as a flat-top with the feed-point at approximately 40 feet. One of the legs runs through the tree tops (not by choice) it then it droops down running parallel with the tree for about 20 feet ( UGH !!) . Even with those “not so good” operating conditions the swr is flat on 1.870, 3.600, 7.200, 18.130, 12 and 10 meters. Sure I need to "tweak the swr on “some” the band edges ( but not many) but again nothing that my auto-tuner in my PRO3 or PW-1 tuner can’t handle. UPDATE !! It works so well, this weekend I removed my outboard Palstar AT2K tuner and put it in the closet. Performance wise seems it seems to be great, I get unsolicited compliments on my signal (both barefoot and QRO) from people I have worked from my QTH for years. I have to say I’m a happy camper and for the first time in my 26 years of being a ham I’m “living the dream” being able to band hop from band to band instantly. Thanks Barry at HY-Power Antennas, thanks to you I can really enjoy my hobby again with a “more than” reasonably priced antenna.

W2NJU Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2012 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Well Made Tunes Like A Dream  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed Barry's 40M OCF at my QTH. Super easy install. Impressed with the ceramic insulators..not plastic. Using 125 feet of RGB-X. Antenna slopes from 35 feet down to about 15 feet. Tunes 1.2 SWR across 40M and almost no measurable SWR on 20 and 10. Barry says you can even do 2 meters on it, which I haven't tried yet.
Running 100 watts and hit Puerto Rico from Essex County NJ with a 10 over. Ran some 5 watt QRP for fun and logged several QSOs. Barry is great with support. I must have asked him a ton of questions and he graciously replied to each one. Our club president was here for the antenna party and said, "I've got to get one of these!"

K0WFS Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2012 16:37 Send this review to a friend
OCF-40 Windom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was really impressed with the construction when I received the OCF-40 antenna - very well made. I had to string it between 2 poles and used some 750 lb breaking strength rope from DX Engineering to help support the balun by taking some of the tension off of the radials - this seemed to work-out very well with the ceramic insulators used on this antenna. Additionally, I used some surplus springs on each end, i.e. insulator, rope, spring, rope. to allow for movement. I am working 1300 - 1500 mile contacts easily on 20m/40m, receiving 599 reports usually with just 100W. The OCF is quieter than my End-Fed Zepp, which itself is a quiet antenna. I cannot wait until 10m opens up next time.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2012 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Very well made, high quality..The performance is outstanding..The model I purchased is DL17DX

Even the insulators are pre place and caluclated were to be in the wire..

VSWR 1:1 / Handles 1500 watts...easily..I worked DX with ease..

In summary Cost effective, high quality, easy to install, and very high performance.