Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles Help

Reviews Summary for Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles
Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $19.95 - 112.75
Description: HF Wire Antennas
More info: http://www.freewebs.com/hypower

You can write your own review of the Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles.

W7OXB Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2011 09:30 Send this review to a friend
3 years and 139 entities later  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these antennas. A 20/40 combo and one for 75 meters. Because I live in a neighborhood covered by covenants and limited access to trees these are only up about 20 feet. They work great, now up to 139 entities and only on the radio occassionally. These are quality built antennas and the price can't be beat.

K1NLY Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2011 16:06 Send this review to a friend
160/OCF works great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a really nice OCF antenna at about half the price of the other guys. SWR looks good on most bands w/o a tuner. Had a question and they emailed me right away. Not sure if I could have made one for what it cost me.
73, Harry K1NLY

N8TA Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2011 21:03 Send this review to a friend
A higher rating is deserved  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wrote a review of the 40/20 fan dipole in late August and was grousing that the antenna was cut too long which made extra work on raising and lowering the antenna to get to resonance. Had I a better location (and been 20 years younger) I would have had an easier time in trimming, there would have been no grousing.

Ok- I am past the fatigue now and must say that I am impressed with the quality of the materials. I have worked a bunch of DX with this system in the last couple of months. It has a maximum height of 33 feet in an inverted vee configuration.

To be fair, it deserves a 5 rating for quality and performance.

K0MCM Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2011 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Best Antenna for the $$$  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased an OCF-80 to be installed at the National Weather Service Office. Antenna was easy to install and the performance is top notch. Has withstood winter and winds with no problems. Highly recommend this antenna.

Another federal agency in town purchased this antenna on my recommendation. I look forward to helping them install it.

High quality components. Awesome customer service. Great Prices.

W9KDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2011 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Very good OCF40.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, my location is doomed to failure. I am barely 18 feet off the ground and I am way too close to my 2 story metal sided home. Nonetheless, this 40 meter OCF antenna was just about the only thing that would fit in my yard so up it went. It is good solid 12 gauge wire and the balun box and end insulators are top notch. With no trimming, it had a decent SWR on all its bands. It is rated at 5KW and limited to 6,10,20, and 40 meters.

After three months I have had amazing results with 20 and 10 meters and connected most of the US on 40. This weekend I talked to Japan, the Cook Islands, on through S. America, Cuba, continuing through most of Europe and with a stop in N. Africa I finished up in Moscow, reaching over 35 different countries.

Obviously, a directional antenna at a decent height would beat the pants off this, however, if you are limited and this looks like a fit, you should not be disappointing, especially if mount it at a decent height where it belongs.

As important as the antenna is to the system, I was amazed by what this thing has allowed me to do. I know propagation is the magic that make things work, but this antenna is not holding me back at all.

N8TA Rating: 3/5 Aug 28, 2011 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Cut wrong  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a 40/20 fan dipole configuration. The quality of the wire and the balun appears to be satisfactory. No complaints there.

My rating is due to the fact that while the manufacturer states that the antenna is cut for the bottom of the band, this is just not true.

My 40 meter dipole was 24 inches too long while the 20 meter was over 12 inches too long. My antenna analyzer showed the resonance point for each was significantly below the bottom edge of the band.

It is interesting that the manufacturer states that for inverted vee antennas the formula to use is 480/freq. He insists that inverted vee antennas require a longer length that the standard dipole formula.

Yet the ARRL Antenna Handbook and two other web based antenna calculators allow you to factor a percentage to SHORTEN the standard formula. Oddly enough, only the eham calculator suggests adding to the standard formula length.

In my case I had a very difficult job to lower the antenna (very difficult home location) and begin shortening the antenna.

If you decide on a hy power antenna be sure to run your own calculations. And don't forget to add the length of wire from the balun eye to the balun connection if you use a balun.

I have built antennas for over 50 years and have always prided myself on achieving resonance in the part of the band I wanted to work. Given the difficulty I had in raising and lowering the antenna I will just make the next one myself, which gets me to asking why did I purchase this in the first place? If the antenna was truly cut for the bottom of the band then my job would have been a lot simpler.

VE3CGU Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2011 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Recommended  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own a LD4030Q 40M loaded dipole @ 30ft long. I also purchased the BL-HF-250 1:1 250W current balun which was installed at no extra charge. Barry was very helpful & answered my email questions about shipping to Canada promptly. The tuning/trimming instructions were accurate. I am impressed by the sturdy strain relief construction & stainless steel hardware. I knew that the resonance would be sharp & narrow, considering that this dipole is less than half the normal length, but at least I can work 40 in my favourite 150 kHZ of the band fairly efficiently. I have used loaded dipoles since 1975 & can say that I'd buy another of these any time. Thus far I have made a dozen contacts using 100W PEP - coast to coast in USA and 2 to Europe. Considering that the band conditions are less than optimal this summer & that I can only get the dipole's (inverted V configuration) centre up 25 feet I am quite content with results. Hy Power provides quality products at good value.

N4UFO Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2010 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Loading coil sets - a bargain!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first purchased the LC8073 coils to make a shortened 80m dipole/vee as a part of my multi dipole arrangement. My previous 80m antennas have been Hustler verticals with the resonator coils, so most anything would fair better, but I am happy with the antenna. I have added a number of formerly elusive EU countries to the log. The trade off for having shortened dipoles is the smaller bandwidth, but since I stay on the lower end of 80m, it's not a problem for me. If I need to go higher, my small tuner is adequate. I used 14 gauge insulated stranded copper wire from Home Depot, I got a discount on since the spool was busted. =^D

I was happy enough with the 80m coils to try adding a 160m antenna, so I purchased the LC1682 coils. I have never been on 160m before in 33 years of hamming, so I am not sure what to expect, but I have made a few domestic contacts and HEARD a couple DX stations, but not been able to work any. Not sure the antenna can be faulted for that! The center point is only up 25 feet.

Barry is knowledgeable, helpful and responsive. I found him readily available to give advice and answer questions. The only inconvenience I find is that the company accepts orders by mail only... BUT, if that keeps the prices down, it's a worthy tradeoff.

Overall, good company, good product. Well worth it to me to buy the coils rather than build them.

VK2AAA Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2010 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have three different models of Hy-Power dipoles. These are very well built antennas, and Barry, the owner is responsive to questions, and quick to offer quality advice. Great products and customer service, what more could you ask for?

W8VFM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Great construction  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used many dipoles, both home brew and commercially made over the 55 years as a ham and this is one of the best. I have the 160-80-40 meter version in a inverted vee configuration and it tunes well on 160,80 and 40. I am strictly a cw operator and find it performs better than expected on the three bands. I recommend this product to anyone who wants good construction, good performance and good value. 73 Ned, W8VFM