Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles Help

Reviews Summary for Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles
Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $19.95 - 112.75
Description: HF Wire Antennas
More info: http://www.freewebs.com/hypower

You can write your own review of the Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles.

W8VFM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Great construction  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used many dipoles, both home brew and commercially made over the 55 years as a ham and this is one of the best. I have the 160-80-40 meter version in a inverted vee configuration and it tunes well on 160,80 and 40. I am strictly a cw operator and find it performs better than expected on the three bands. I recommend this product to anyone who wants good construction, good performance and good value. 73 Ned, W8VFM

N2PLI Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2010 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi I have the 20 meter 12 foot dipole the 2012q.The antenna works great even indoors got good signal reports I can imagine how good it will work when I mount it outdoors!! Its a little tough to tune up I know I should have gave it a 5++ but My finger hurt from twist the wires back and forth from tuning it I higly reccomend it just make sure u have time and patience to tune up this model..

WV1K Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2009 16:06 Send this review to a friend
"Electrician's Delight"  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 80 and 40 dipoles have been up as inverted vees for a year with no issue. I just bought two more for another place. I'm used to other material like Flexweave and ANsulators or baluns, but these have worked as finely as other antennas. I can't say the same for the previous batch of STI rope I bought in 2008 which frayed holding these up. It's still up but the black casing slid all the way toward the insulators at all knots on all antennas (I singed them as always).

KE1B Rating: 3/5 May 5, 2009 15:32 Send this review to a friend
OK, but hard to trim perfectly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 2B4016S to replace a 40 meter dipole (adding 160 meter capability). The literature said that they cut the antenna for the low portion of the band(s), so that trimming only requires cutting. The 40m section was initially tuned to 7.456 MHz, more than 150 KHz *above* the top of the band! I had to add nearly 3' of wire to bring it down to the CW portion.

There is a lot of interaction between trimming the 40m and 160m sections. After a few days and around 10 iterations (and pulling the antenna up and down each time), I was finally able to set it *perfectly* where I wanted it, resonant at 7.070 and 1.825 MHz (CW). On 160, it has a useful bandwidth of about 50 KHz (1800-1850). On 40, it is useful for about 200 KHz, and perhaps a bit more if you can tolerate SWR in the 3-4:1 range.

Construction is OK, but I am concerned that the plain, solid copper wire used will stretch over time, changing the resonant frequency. Copperweld would have been a better choice. I wish HyPower would have just sold me the 40 m trap/160 m loading coil without the wire and insulators. I threw away their center insulator and connected it to a 1:1 balun, as you should. End insulators should be egg types (not the cylindrical ones they provide), so that the antenna does not come down if the insulator cracks. (I replaced those, too.)

In all, I am satisfied with the end result (but was ready to give up at one point), but it's a bit pricey just to get the coil/trap, which is the only part of the antenna that was really useful.

N4NSP Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2009 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Antenna Construction  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hy Power antennas are made from heavy duty solid 12 gauge wire with a sturdy center insulator and robust QRO coils that easily handle the legal limit.

For camping trips and other QRP applications, Hy Power will also custom make antennas using lighter weight wire (14 and 16 gauge) and with the smaller center insulator and QRP coils.

I've used both types of antennas (QRO and QRP) and found them to work equally well at home or when operating portable. I use the 2B4080L as an NVIS antenna in the back yard. It gets 5x9 reports on ECARS on 7255 KHz and the Virginia Fone Net on 3947 KHz.

Tom Goyne, N4NSP

N4NSP Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2009 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Dipole Antennas  Time owned: months
I've had continued success with these sturdy-built dipole antennas. Most of them are custom-built by Barry using 14 gauge black-insulated wire with QRP coils. As advertised, these antennas perform well on all bands. They are the only HF antennas used here at the home QTH and for camping and do an outstanding job on the 4 main bands that I operate on: 20, 40, 75, and 160 meters. They also do a great job for listening on shortwave on 9 and 6 MHz. The workmanship and customer service are 5 Plus.

W7OXB Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2009 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Antennas Great Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a 150W 20/40 version about a year ago and it has worked very well through rain sleet and snow at 30 feet!!! I recently added an amp so needed the 1500W version. Barry at Hy Power was great, I ordered my antenna and had it in a couple of days. The antennas are well built, look great, and work great. The fact that you get great customer service in addition is a plus. A great value for the money.

Tom
W7OXB

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2009 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my 4 band antenna today and installed it on the roof very quickly, This 20-40-75-160m antenna work wonderful and only 107' long, just fits on my lot and works great, Very fast service from Hy-Power, instructions very clear for instalation, antenna made very well, its a winner in my book, Its nice dealing with a company that cares about there products and people...KB6HRT

K6WSC Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2008 12:44 Send this review to a friend
The HY-POWER LD1682 (160 meter dipole) is outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed an antenna for the ARRL 160 Meter Contest. Barry’s customer service is excellent. I received my HY-POWER LD1682 (160 Meter loaded dipole, 82 feet long) the week before the contest. The look and construction of the antenna is also excellent. I installed the antenna in the dark just after the start of the contest. The center of the dipole is only thirteen (13) feet above the ground. The dipole is fully assembled, cut for the bottom of the band (just where I wanted it), and worked perfectly without any tuning on my part. I was on the air minutes after pulling the dipole up in the air (all 13 feet of it). I worked 63 stations in 18 different ARRL sections in the contest. This was my first160 meter experience, and it was a good one. I give my highest recommendation to Barry and the HY-POWER Antenna Company.

N9ZI Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2008 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antennas  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the full size 40 meter qrp (150 watt) version because live in a villa & wanted the slightly smaller wire & am very pleased with the results - can only get the center up about 28 ft & drop the ends down to about 13 ft & only run 50 watts max but immediately noticed much improvement from the shortened 40 meter ant that I previously had in place (44 ft lg w/coils). Have worked a hand full of stations in Europe on CW. I also purchased the very short 17 ft lg 30 meter one to use portable out on the Patio & just ran it up 16 ft in an inverted vee & tried it out with only 20 watts & worked ME & CT from IN both were nice solid Qso,s - so was also pleased with that for what I am going to use it for. Barry answers any questions quickly & does a very good job at customer service, would highly recommend his products. Terry N9ZI