Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles Help

Reviews Summary for Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles
Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $19.95 - 112.75
Description: HF Wire Antennas
More info: http://www.freewebs.com/hypower

You can write your own review of the Hy Power Antenna Company - Dipoles.

N8TA Rating: 3/5 Aug 28, 2011 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Cut wrong  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a 40/20 fan dipole configuration. The quality of the wire and the balun appears to be satisfactory. No complaints there.

My rating is due to the fact that while the manufacturer states that the antenna is cut for the bottom of the band, this is just not true.

My 40 meter dipole was 24 inches too long while the 20 meter was over 12 inches too long. My antenna analyzer showed the resonance point for each was significantly below the bottom edge of the band.

It is interesting that the manufacturer states that for inverted vee antennas the formula to use is 480/freq. He insists that inverted vee antennas require a longer length that the standard dipole formula.

Yet the ARRL Antenna Handbook and two other web based antenna calculators allow you to factor a percentage to SHORTEN the standard formula. Oddly enough, only the eham calculator suggests adding to the standard formula length.

In my case I had a very difficult job to lower the antenna (very difficult home location) and begin shortening the antenna.

If you decide on a hy power antenna be sure to run your own calculations. And don't forget to add the length of wire from the balun eye to the balun connection if you use a balun.

I have built antennas for over 50 years and have always prided myself on achieving resonance in the part of the band I wanted to work. Given the difficulty I had in raising and lowering the antenna I will just make the next one myself, which gets me to asking why did I purchase this in the first place? If the antenna was truly cut for the bottom of the band then my job would have been a lot simpler.

VE3CGU Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2011 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Recommended  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own a LD4030Q 40M loaded dipole @ 30ft long. I also purchased the BL-HF-250 1:1 250W current balun which was installed at no extra charge. Barry was very helpful & answered my email questions about shipping to Canada promptly. The tuning/trimming instructions were accurate. I am impressed by the sturdy strain relief construction & stainless steel hardware. I knew that the resonance would be sharp & narrow, considering that this dipole is less than half the normal length, but at least I can work 40 in my favourite 150 kHZ of the band fairly efficiently. I have used loaded dipoles since 1975 & can say that I'd buy another of these any time. Thus far I have made a dozen contacts using 100W PEP - coast to coast in USA and 2 to Europe. Considering that the band conditions are less than optimal this summer & that I can only get the dipole's (inverted V configuration) centre up 25 feet I am quite content with results. Hy Power provides quality products at good value.

N4UFO Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2010 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Loading coil sets - a bargain!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first purchased the LC8073 coils to make a shortened 80m dipole/vee as a part of my multi dipole arrangement. My previous 80m antennas have been Hustler verticals with the resonator coils, so most anything would fair better, but I am happy with the antenna. I have added a number of formerly elusive EU countries to the log. The trade off for having shortened dipoles is the smaller bandwidth, but since I stay on the lower end of 80m, it's not a problem for me. If I need to go higher, my small tuner is adequate. I used 14 gauge insulated stranded copper wire from Home Depot, I got a discount on since the spool was busted. =^D

I was happy enough with the 80m coils to try adding a 160m antenna, so I purchased the LC1682 coils. I have never been on 160m before in 33 years of hamming, so I am not sure what to expect, but I have made a few domestic contacts and HEARD a couple DX stations, but not been able to work any. Not sure the antenna can be faulted for that! The center point is only up 25 feet.

Barry is knowledgeable, helpful and responsive. I found him readily available to give advice and answer questions. The only inconvenience I find is that the company accepts orders by mail only... BUT, if that keeps the prices down, it's a worthy tradeoff.

Overall, good company, good product. Well worth it to me to buy the coils rather than build them.

VK2AAA Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2010 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have three different models of Hy-Power dipoles. These are very well built antennas, and Barry, the owner is responsive to questions, and quick to offer quality advice. Great products and customer service, what more could you ask for?

W8VFM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Great construction  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used many dipoles, both home brew and commercially made over the 55 years as a ham and this is one of the best. I have the 160-80-40 meter version in a inverted vee configuration and it tunes well on 160,80 and 40. I am strictly a cw operator and find it performs better than expected on the three bands. I recommend this product to anyone who wants good construction, good performance and good value. 73 Ned, W8VFM

N2PLI Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2010 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi I have the 20 meter 12 foot dipole the 2012q.The antenna works great even indoors got good signal reports I can imagine how good it will work when I mount it outdoors!! Its a little tough to tune up I know I should have gave it a 5++ but My finger hurt from twist the wires back and forth from tuning it I higly reccomend it just make sure u have time and patience to tune up this model..

WV1K Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2009 16:06 Send this review to a friend
"Electrician's Delight"  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 80 and 40 dipoles have been up as inverted vees for a year with no issue. I just bought two more for another place. I'm used to other material like Flexweave and ANsulators or baluns, but these have worked as finely as other antennas. I can't say the same for the previous batch of STI rope I bought in 2008 which frayed holding these up. It's still up but the black casing slid all the way toward the insulators at all knots on all antennas (I singed them as always).

KE1B Rating: 3/5 May 5, 2009 15:32 Send this review to a friend
OK, but hard to trim perfectly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 2B4016S to replace a 40 meter dipole (adding 160 meter capability). The literature said that they cut the antenna for the low portion of the band(s), so that trimming only requires cutting. The 40m section was initially tuned to 7.456 MHz, more than 150 KHz *above* the top of the band! I had to add nearly 3' of wire to bring it down to the CW portion.

There is a lot of interaction between trimming the 40m and 160m sections. After a few days and around 10 iterations (and pulling the antenna up and down each time), I was finally able to set it *perfectly* where I wanted it, resonant at 7.070 and 1.825 MHz (CW). On 160, it has a useful bandwidth of about 50 KHz (1800-1850). On 40, it is useful for about 200 KHz, and perhaps a bit more if you can tolerate SWR in the 3-4:1 range.

Construction is OK, but I am concerned that the plain, solid copper wire used will stretch over time, changing the resonant frequency. Copperweld would have been a better choice. I wish HyPower would have just sold me the 40 m trap/160 m loading coil without the wire and insulators. I threw away their center insulator and connected it to a 1:1 balun, as you should. End insulators should be egg types (not the cylindrical ones they provide), so that the antenna does not come down if the insulator cracks. (I replaced those, too.)

In all, I am satisfied with the end result (but was ready to give up at one point), but it's a bit pricey just to get the coil/trap, which is the only part of the antenna that was really useful.

N4NSP Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2009 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Antenna Construction  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hy Power antennas are made from heavy duty solid 12 gauge wire with a sturdy center insulator and robust QRO coils that easily handle the legal limit.

For camping trips and other QRP applications, Hy Power will also custom make antennas using lighter weight wire (14 and 16 gauge) and with the smaller center insulator and QRP coils.

I've used both types of antennas (QRO and QRP) and found them to work equally well at home or when operating portable. I use the 2B4080L as an NVIS antenna in the back yard. It gets 5x9 reports on ECARS on 7255 KHz and the Virginia Fone Net on 3947 KHz.

Tom Goyne, N4NSP

N4NSP Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2009 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Dipole Antennas  Time owned: months
I've had continued success with these sturdy-built dipole antennas. Most of them are custom-built by Barry using 14 gauge black-insulated wire with QRP coils. As advertised, these antennas perform well on all bands. They are the only HF antennas used here at the home QTH and for camping and do an outstanding job on the 4 main bands that I operate on: 20, 40, 75, and 160 meters. They also do a great job for listening on shortwave on 9 and 6 MHz. The workmanship and customer service are 5 Plus.