Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG RT-11 Help

Reviews Summary for LDG RT-11
LDG RT-11 Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $209.00
Description: hf/6 meter antenna tunner
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the LDG RT-11.

K1TWH Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2010 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Good L-based Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have three in remote service on Inv-L, and doublet antennas. I feed their power to them through the coax via bias Tee's. They have 20uH of inductance and about 2700pF of capacitance. The caps can be at the input for Hi-Z or on the transmitter side (Lo-Z). Turn on RF, enable DC and let them tune. Once you have a match, turn off the DC power and you're all set. They're outdoors in the weather, 12 months a year. I like them as much as any remote tuner I've used. The circuit capabilities are somewhat less than other tuners (like the SGC-230) but if the antenna is within matching range, these are good 100 watt 160<>10M tuners. On 6M, your milage may vary...

HB9SLM Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2009 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Good thing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got an RT-11 a few years agow.
worked ok, except troubling from HF radiation.
to rid off that problem i included a small board which isolates the control lead to the tuner with optocoupler, an dc/dc converter isolates the power as well. it worked perfectly, even the noiselevel decreased a bit.
I used a free wire on the cable to controll an antenna relay which i installed in the box.
but all good things have an end, as the CPU is since 3 weeks sensitive to temperature. i wonder where i could get an replacement :( i living in the north of brazil actually

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2008 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased with it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these automatic tuners a couple years ago to use with my IC-706MkIIg while on vacation at a summer home in the north woods. I use it with a multi-band trap dipole fed with RG-58 coax. It has worked flawlessly, not only on the bands for which the antenna was designed, but also on some bands it wasn't. As others have mentioned, it is plug-and-play with the included Icom control cable. One push of the "Tune" button when I change bands and I am ready to go in just a couple of seconds. I am very pleased with it.

IW1DFU Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2007 03:59 Send this review to a friend
GOOD!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm really satisfied with this tuner... I've bought one more than 3 yrs ago and it's still working in a perfect way. I've putted a 4:1 balun with a random wire (abt 30mt long) and it's able to tune it everywere... I've made also a lot of dx in CW with 100W and this small tuner. I've made the control box (really easy to build).
It hasn't memory but for me it's better because each time that you need to tune a wire, it's always different, also if the wire it's always the same... So save some money and buy this one!

Some SGC comarable model, is not able to handle the same pwr... I've tried to tx with 150W in CW for long QSO and nothing has appened... Good choice!!!

AG7K Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2007 16:59 Send this review to a friend
oldy but goody  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used an RT-11 with my Icom 706 for around 4 years. I bought it used from a friend who had used it for a couple of years. It is noisy and slow compared to the newest LDG tuners but it still works great. I use it in my work location on a Ultralite JR. It will tune everywhere, even 160, but acts like a dummy load at that freq:)I see some people have had problems, but not me.

N4PY Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2005 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Great remote tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using one of these tuners to tune all my antennas 200 feet from the house. By getting the antennas away from the house, things are much quieter. It is amazing how much band noise seems to come right from your own house. This tuner does a great job matching all the antennas to the 200 feet of coax going away from the house. I highly recommend using one of these tuners for this application. Also, if you have any questions about how to set things up, Dwayne is great and always gives a good answer in a short time. It is so nice to deal with people who make you feel like a friend right away.

AH6FC Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2004 08:57 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this at my KH6 qth with an Icom 706. With the interface cable it was plug and play. Makes a little noise, but I'm using it in the shack. For $200 it is a great investment.

73's & Aloha,
Bill
AH6FC/7

PHINEAS Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2003 01:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner----Read this before you return it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this tuner for about a month now. When you read the advertising on this unit, you will easily get the impression that this is a plug and play kind of device. This is not quite true in all cases. When I first plugged this tuner in, it would not work at all. Then I had problems with my radio cutting out. Then it would not tune on 15 and 17 meters. After a few days on the phone with Dwayne, and a replacement later, I could get it to tune only if I had the cable jumpers just right. In short, this tuner exposed a flaw in my antenna system called common mode interference. This is when RF travels on the shield of the coax feedline. Here are the steps I took to solve my RF problems.

1. Put a teroid wrap around on the power supply to the radio.

2. Put wrap-arounds on the cable to the remote head. One near the radio, and one near the remote head.

3. Put wrap-arounds on the remote cable between the radio and the tuner.(Same as above)

4. Wound an RF choke out of 18' of RG8x coax made by wrapping it around a 4" PVC pipe, running tape around it to hold the mold. Note, I tried just bunching up the cable, and that just did not work! It has to be coiled single layer.

Not only did this allow me to use the tuner on all bands, and correct my radio issue, it also cleaned up my receive, and all but canceled out my ignition noise. Not only that, but I was able to run a VERY short Coax from the tuner to the feed point. This drasticly improved my signal strength!!!!!!

I would highly recommend this product. Even thought it took some work, I learned alot about dealing with RF, and antenna system design.

I have read articles where people have returned this device. I say before you return it, take a closer look at your antenna and grounding system. you wont regret it.

Phineas
K0KMA

N4LI Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2003 15:25 Send this review to a friend
It'll Tune a Fish...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The RT-11 works. Itll tune darn near anything.

I have used this in my attic, located at the feedpoint of a dipole. I found it can load even a 15m dipole flat on 160m. But, this comes to illustrate a point just because you CAN tune an antenna, doesnt mean you should. The RT-11, and other wide-range autotuners, will allow you to use antennas you really have no business using. A 15m dipole on 160 is just one step above a dummy load, and not even a big step. A dummy load, after all, will get you a 1:1 match.

I work a lot of QRP, and have really gotten to appreciate resonant antennas. But, when it is impossible to get a proper sized antenna, this tuner gets you on the air easily. It tunes in a matter of seconds with just the push of a button. And, I kinda like the coins-in-a-blender sound in makes.

It might be nice to have more instrumentation, but, since this is intended to be a remote tuner, that is a bit tough.

Nice tuner.

Peter, N4LI

SV1FXO Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2003 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Good investment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own LDG RT-11 auto tuner for about 24 months.
I bought it as a kit and I use it only as a desktop (or better deskbottom) tuner for my IC-706MKIIG transceiver but one can use it also on the mast since it is weatherproof.
I manage to tune both a vertical l/2 cb antenna at my primary urban QTH and a balanced dipole (G5RV) at my 2nd country QTH in all HF bands plus the 6m band. The SWR is less than 1.7:1 at any case witch gives my solid state transmitter the chance to load at full power.
The construction of the kit is simple and straightforward although some DIY experience is needed. The winding of the inductors is easy as far as the accuracy of their values is not critical. The parts are of a very good quality but I would expect a better quality on the pictures of the manual.
The tuner takes 12 volts input (in my case from the rig) and works with a 5vdc internal regulator (78L05), using latching relays for low consumption (only 9ma @ 12v input voltage) when on stand by. During tuning there is a mean current consumption of aprox 200 ma @ 12v and I believe that the 78L05 should be replaced by the more powerful LM7805.
For me the heart of any (automatic) tuner is the SWR bridge (and not the controller) The manual does not state clearly in witch band the calibration should take place (another big minus for the manual). After several experiments, I obtained the best results with the bridge calibrated on the 6m band. Maybe because the sensitivity of the bridge reduces as the frequency rises.
The tuner utilizes a switched L matching network with a very wide tuning range and the tuning time takes less than 5 seconds. For example I get a 1.2:1 @ 80m with my l/2 (5.5m length) vertical cb antenna witch on this band presents a huge mismatch with an SWR>>10:1. In this case the overall radiation efficiency is on the order of 25% (-6db) but only because antenna lucks a proper radial system. With 100w of power I get good reports from Europe, Asia & Africa and I am happy with that considering I live in an urban area with very very limited space and very very odd neighbors.
I have never tried the tuner on 160 m since I haven't yet this type of radiator.
Other than that a good idea would be the implementation of a visual indication (with leds) of the inductors and the capacitors that are each time engaged at the network, so as to make your own conclusions about the load the device is dealing with, but I think I am asking too much.
Ending I find this piece of equipment a good investment that can save you a lot of time from trying to match a multiband (balanced or unbalanced) antenna system and give you more time operating efficiently.

73, Christos