Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Scout 555 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Scout 555
Ten-Tec Scout 555 Reviews: 64 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $569.00
Description: 160-10 mtr CW & SSB 50-watts
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Scout 555.

ZS6DJD Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 10:28 Send this review to a friend
such a cool radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is such a cool radio. This is a very basic radio like a citerzen band radio. works and looks like a citerzen band radio but dose all the ham bands. Reminds me of my days on the citerzen bands befor I started in amateur radio. Well it just works great. The only disavantage is that the maximum power out is only 50 watts. Then again I was 55 in india from South Africa, I think that's 8 to 10 thousand kilometers as the crow flies so one can get out on 50 watts. The Ten Tec Scout is very easy and great fun to use it's a winner. All the best for Ten Tec.

VE5EDE Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2012 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Effective  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this radio for mobile, camping and dangerous winter travel. The first time I used it was during a 90 minute highway trip on Field Day with an OPEK HVT 600 mobile antenna. I worked a station about every two minutes, including a VK and a KH from here in Saskatchewan with only 50 watts. If I could hear them, I could work them. And this was all without a noise blanker and S9 ignition noise. Later I added the noise blanker module and suddenly all was quiet. The noise blanker is absolutely essential for comfortable mobile operation.

This radio is quite simple when you view the schematic. The receiver is hot and the band-pass tuning is fantastic. It's a great CW rig and the audio and transmit modulation are excellent on SSB. And for a somewhat "older" radio, it is fairly light and portable.

There is one minor inconvenience which is not serious enough to dock any points. This radio will not operate correctly on a 12v battery alone. Below about 12.8v your transmit frequency will drop several hundred Herz when it is keyed. Start the engine or use a domestic power supply and this problem goes away. It simply needs a little higher regulated voltage.

Ten-Tec is overlooked all too often, and many hams simply don't realize that their products are top-notch designs and that owners are provided with first-rate customer service. The Scout is a radio that should be taken seriously.

73 de VE5EDE

K4JAH Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2012 12:57 Send this review to a friend
What a lot of fun for so little money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I got another one. Put it out on my lani in Fl next to the icom 7000. guess what? It heard everything that the icom heard. Just needs a relay for the amp. and I'll have even more fun. good value and works very well. If you find one they still service them t the factory. try doing that with a JA radio of same vintage .

N7INO Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2012 21:09 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two Scouts One a back-up rig for the shack and the other mobile and ssb only. Mobile can't beleive how well it works. When mobile and check into nets they don't always check me in mobile works that well. The most user friendly HF RIG THERE IS WHICH IS GREAT FOR MOBILE. i RUN 20 40 80 MOBILE AND OUT PREFORMS MY 746. oN bASE RECEIVES AS WELL AS MY cORSAIR WHICH IS SAYING A LOT. iF YOU CAN FIND ONE GRAB IT YOU WILL LOVE HOW IT PREFORMS.

WA4CZD Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Wee!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used about 15 years ago and with a G5RV I've worked about 115 countries thus far CW & SSB (with a gap of not being on the air for 8 yrs).

It's really fun and works well for field day too or running QRP by turning the power knob down to 5 watts. The only negative I have is that you have to turn the internal screw on the bottom to do so (and that is pretty nitpicky).

WB8ICU Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2012 15:13 Send this review to a friend
best cw ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't believe the nitpicking on this rig. it is an excellent, low cost, no frills cw rig. A pleasure to have a rig that has ssb as an add on instead of the other way around. I bought mine used on ebay about 4 years ago. I use it at home but mostly on field day because of the portability. I have never experienced the drift, but probably because I normally run about 22wpm, with 25wpm on field day. I always get at least 200 contacts by Sunday morning, then pack up and leave. The modules are no biggie since I usually only work 80, 40, and 15 although I do have all the modules that come with it. I have had other ten tec rigs, such as the delta 580, century 21, omni, etc. For the price you can't beat this one.

KD7GHZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2011 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had my Scout for a couple of years. I really liked it, but, it just didn't seem right. Sent it off to Ten Ten who told me really wasn't right and made all the adjustments. Got it home set up and was going to be on the 3.975 WARTS Net couldn't hear them at all on my Yaesu. Set up the Scout and could not believe my ears. WOW WOW I could hear them like they were next door. What a fantastic radio. Thanks Ten Tec for your great service

KD0GCH Rating: 4/5 Jul 4, 2009 22:58 Send this review to a friend
ten tec 555  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well it would have got a 5 if it wouldn't drift in cw mode.Audio reports sound good.I don't like the audio out plug in the front .All in all this is a good lil hf rig and great for the first timer well 73s KD0GCH

K6VRY Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2009 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Nice Little Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a used Ten Tec 555 Scout radio on eBay for $225, with a 40 m module. I also purchased a 20 m module for $45. This little radio is no multi-kilo$ radio, but it's a joy to operate. No bells and whistles, but the transmit and receive audio are first-rate. I use it with a little LDG auto tuner, and plan on taking it up to our condo in Mammoth Lakes, CA. The ten Tec would have earned a 5 rating, if it just had a noise blanker.

Jim K6VRY

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2009 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Bargain  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Simple, fun, easy to use, great portable "vacation" rig for anyone. Add an appropriate power supply and tuner (LDG anyone?) and have at it. Perfect rig for the cabin or RV -- 5 to 50 watts. Just add an antenna and have fun!