Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Scout 555 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Scout 555
Ten-Tec Scout 555 Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $569.00
Description: 160-10 mtr CW & SSB 50-watts
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Scout 555.

DG7JX Rating: 2/5 Oct 8, 2004 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Not a mobile or portable rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a 555 for 2 weeks. Sold it because it does NOT work properly when using it below (approximately) 12.5 Volts. Being portable or using the Scout while sitting in the car with the engine OFF, the voltage often drops below that 12.5V limit.

Second point is the contact problems with the band modules.

WB2AZE Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2004 23:23 Send this review to a friend
easy to use radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio when they first came out, other than having the mike replaced, it has been one of my better purchases. Operation is straight forward, no need to memorize menus and function codes or have to consult the manual. It's part of my HF ARES go kit, and I wouldn't trade it in for anything. Like the made in USA as well.

AB4YE Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2004 01:34 Send this review to a friend
wonderful rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
why great? THis rig is built like a tank and works better than advertised. A super CW rig, the filter has to be used to be believed. 50 watts out in a car is plenty. The rig was solid, the speaker audio is as good as they come.

My scout works today as well as it did 10 years ago.

NB7I Rating: 3/5 Jul 5, 2004 19:31 Send this review to a friend
A radio designed to jump frequency.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
On the plus side - Jones filter, small size, good QSK.
On the negative side - designed to jump frequency. Ten Tec admitted compensation circuit caused jumps in frequency in between characters on CW transmissions. Questionable operation if supply voltage fell much below 13 volts.

Sold it to a friend who operated SSB, where the frequency change wasn't as noticable.

K7FD Rating: 0/5 Jul 4, 2004 01:50 Send this review to a friend
Should be recalled  Time owned: months
I've yet to work one of these on cw that didn't shift frequency. I used to love Ten Tec stuff but they really dropped the ball on this puppy. It should be called a 'scoot' not a scout, as it scoots off frequency more times than not...

73 John K7FD

DD3LY Rating: 2/5 Mar 29, 2004 07:35 Send this review to a friend
Needs modification  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used Scout555 with all modules. I hoped for a good performer for CW with QSK and a variable bandwidth. I was disappointed withing seconds: My Scout had a very annoying beep tone at low volume levels which was much worse when I used a headphone. If you raise the volume the bep tone vanishes but this volume is too loud, anyway you use the speaker or the headphone. I talked with TenTec's service department. Gary was very friendly and tried to help me. He told me to change some 7 (!) switching transistors which were (possibly) become leaking. I prechecked this modification with an oscilloscope: far from this! The whole supply voltage was "dirty" from this beep tone which may come from audio-amplifier, sidetone-oscillator or the digital board. My ARK-30 qrp-trx who uses the same power supply showed the same beep tone through his speaker! The power supply was checked of course. When I detached the '555 the ARK-30 was silent...
The Scout's mentioned boards and stages seem to need more decoupling and possibly further attention (shielding?). I had the chance to give the radio back, which I did because the price was too high for this effort. Generally the basic technology of the transceiver is interesting (if you use an external keyer to avoid the driftproblem) but you may have to accept to invest some time to modify the radio. Otherwise I would not recoomend it for the one who is less experienced in modifying radios! If find such a radio: TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!.

K3TE Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2003 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Big Performer/Small Package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Scout in 1994. I also Bought an Argo 556 when it became available in November 1994. The Scout has performed as a base radio, moblie and hotel portable. The Noise Blanker works well in my Saturn models. The jones filter is awesome. The Scout is used mainly on 40 SSB, while the Argo 556, a Scout without the 50 watt power deck, is used for qrp in the shack. The size and features of the Scout/Argo make it a favorite. Made in the USA!!!

Friends don't let friends operate rice boxes

WA0ROI Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2003 02:44 Send this review to a friend
long-time owner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the same Scout for more years than I can count .. I bought it used back when they were still fresh on the market, then stocked up on all band modules. As others have mentioned, the Jones filter is awesome. The noise blanker works wonderfully, at least in a prior Pontiac and current Cadillac. Whereas I've heard of the "drift problem", I've only recently started to occasionally experience it while mobile. In its mobile environment I've turned it on when it was below Zero Degrees F and even with the car heater blowing on it for 30-40 minutes to work it'd not drift .. which always amazed me. I've used this radio mobile, portable on batteries for FD, "motel mobile" in Europe, Canada and USA and at home on "normal" antennas. On a couple occasions I've found it to be picky about its grounding .. lack of which would cause ALC problems. Once was in a new mobile setup, and once on 20m while trying to operate into an end-fed wire on the 3rd floor of a Pension in Anif, Austria. (Proper grounding cured the first, a 1/4WL counterpoise on the floor cured the 2nd). Its been a workhorse for me, and I've no complaints at all, other than I wish it had a amp keying output as standard feature, and I wish it had a BANDSWITCH instead of those blamed modules.

WB8ICU Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2003 22:09 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my 555 on ebay along with 80-40-20-15-10 modules. The receiver is excellent, and the 50 watts is as good as the 100 watt heath I've been using. I used it at field day for my cw station, and made over 200 contacts, with two long breaks waiting out a lightning storm. I did have some overload, but thats to be expected with a direct conversion receiver on field day!! I think I got a great deal, and I'm glad I kept bidding until I got it a good price.

KF4ZEO Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2003 19:13 Send this review to a friend
I'm having fun!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, I admit it does drift a bit, but this has been a great beginning rig for me. I've worked 80 countries with 50 watts & a G5RV, including VK and A45. Plus it is very fun at field day--I like how a simple screwdriver turn turns it into a QRP rig.

Be careful with power--no online voltage protection or fuses.