Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Hallicrafters FPM-300 MK-II Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters FPM-300 MK-II
Hallicrafters FPM-300 MK-II Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Hallicrafter's last HF XCVR. 80-10 meters SSB/CW, AC/DC, solid-state except driver and final. 250 watts input.

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters FPM-300 MK-II.

N3DGB Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2014 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Good vintage rad io  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I collect old amateur gear and try to base my opinions on the state of technology at the time the radio was produced.

After restoring this radio, I found it works remarkably well. The selectivity is very good and the audio quality is excellent. However for CW, the the rig uses a 1750 hertz audio oscillator injected into the transmit audio. This means the receive tone needs to be the same frequency to match the other station. Most folks find that pitch a little high but this way is cheaper than other methods and probably saved Hallicrafters some money.

As far as the VFO stability goes, It was all other the place. After breaking down and thoroughly cleaning the variable capacitor it is very stable. Well within the 100 hz specification even with a 15% change in line voltage. May I just got a good one but I feel it's a great radio for it's time.

WA7VTD Rating: 2/5 May 12, 2009 01:59 Send this review to a friend
Some good points but overall a dud  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up an FPM-300 Mk II on consignment in 1982 for $225, and used it for about three years mostly for NTS net work on both CW and SSB. It had really crisp audio on both tx and rx on SSB, and sounded super on the other end when using an amplified D-104 mic. On CW it drifted in and out of the other op's passband. This got really bad when the power supply dropping resistor started breaking down...the CW note was like a siren on the other end!

The tuning knob mechanism was cheap and the hash marks on the knob and dial did not properly line up as intended to correlate to 1 MHz divisions...one basically had 10 kHz resolution.

An advantage was that the circuit board was easy to access and work on. The only thing likely to go bad of any real consequence was the old fashioned, sputnik-like integrated circuit; I had to replace it and found only one place locally that had them, and I had to buy a dozen...but it was only about $5. I doubt one could find that IC today.

The ease of repair was perhaps the best thing about the rig...I seem to recall that one of these went overboard into the ocean on one of Thor Heyerdal's expeditions and they took it apart, let it dry, and reassembled it and it worked fine.

Eventually, one of the sideband filter crystal legs on mine broke and so it's been off the air since then.

Oh yeah, the VOX circuit was temperamental and it sucked that the controls were all under the opvewr. You'd get them adjusted for SSB VOX finally, and clamp the cover closed, whereupon the VOX adjustments would be off again. And of course the CW QSK adjustments were different from the SSB VOX adjustments.

I have some fondness for this radio but in being as objective as possible, I have to give it a "2." It could qualify for a "1" but it was hardly that bad. Comnpared to other rigs on the market at the time, however, it doesn't deserve more that a "2."

This is worth owning it it is in very good condition and one is a collector, as the FPM-300 Mk II was the last transceiver made by Hallicrafters and indeed, I believe the last radio it marketed at all, at least for amateur radio.

VE2ITZ Rating: 1/5 Feb 28, 2008 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Heavy, ugly and good for a dump  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had one that my brother acquired in a garage sale and it cost him about 20 bucks.

It was my first HF Radio and well since it was free i did not complain.

Terrible, Awful, the worst i have experienced in my life. (It gave me headaches and stomach nausea looking at its gray color).

It awfully reminded me of that early 70's era. All square and gray and ugly!

I think the only thing that was cool was the fact that it was a "Hallicrafters"

It was drifting and was off frequency by about 20 khz! LOL

I had the impression i was transmitting with an International Harvester's "Scout".

But what the heck; i did have some contacts on it, and pretty far too!

I ended selling it to a fellow for $175.

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2007 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Worked for Me  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first real radio after my initial entry in to ham radio via a Heathkit HW 16. I was a Novice in 1975, if it was such a bad radio I sure did not notice it. I was limited to CW yet worked so much DX there was not space left to put up any additional Qsl cards so I just started tossing them in a drawer. I was in Alaska and that probably helped with my Qsl rate but I really had no issues with this radio. I also purchased this on a close out with AES , maybe I just got lucky, but mine worked very well and my antenna was pretty poor, a ground mounted vertical in the high artic tundra and no radials, yet worked most of the USA as well Europe, Asia and even S. America. It may be a dog by todays standards but for a novice in 1975-76 I was in heaven, hi, 73 Jim N0XE

W8ZNX Rating: 1/5 Jan 21, 2006 14:34 Send this review to a friend
end of Hallicrafters  Time owned: more than 12 months
the worst tube type hf xceiver
ever had the misfortune to own
poorly made bad paint job
push on top cover and she shifts freq.
even after one hour warm up drifted worse than any other ssb xceiver iv ever owned
even the Swan Cygnet runs rings around it

this radio
was one of the nails in the Hallicrafters coffin

mac w8znx

KM5CU Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2001 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Good rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has been a good little rig. When I got it in 1995 it looked like it had undergone some major repairs, but it has never failed me. Unfortunately it came without the 10 m Xtals and without the DC cord. This radio has a buit in Inverter basically, and can be operated off of a 12 V battery. I am still looking to either get that cord or somehow rig me one up! Sometimes the rig will just go silent. I heard that this is because of the (new at the time) FET technology and hypersensitivity to electrostatic discharges. It does drif a little and sometimes the balanced modulator and the final DC bias needs to be adjusted, but other than that it's still kicking! All these little quirks makes for a fun evening playing around with the dials and adjusting this and that. Thanks for the forum!

WB0FDJ Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2001 17:52 Send this review to a friend
A Fine Rig...  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 1975 I ran one of these, almost daily, for the better part of 3 years. It was purchased new as a closeout (closeout!, heck they went out of business!)for about $375. I recall that the original FPM-300 had a bad rep, and the mark II spiffed up the rig albeit too late to save it from extinction.
This was a fine, basic radio. On SSB it held it's own alongside Swans and Tempos. I don't ever recall anything "wrong" with the radio. I took it on field day 1976 and my ham buddies are still talking about it.
Only complaints: no filters. Today I would get a simple outboard audio filter, esp for cw. The top of the rig easily flips up for easy access to stuff like side tone adjustments, etc. It never required any service and never had any significant glitches.