Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Pryme (ADI) PR-52 Help

Reviews Summary for Pryme (ADI) PR-52
Pryme (ADI) PR-52 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $299.95
Description: 6 meter hand-held with ctcss encode and decode plus 40 memory channels

You can write your own review of the Pryme (ADI) PR-52.

KD5SPO Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2003 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Solid 6M HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a solid, no-frills HT. I bought it used and have had good reports and no problems. The programming takes a bit of getting use to, but you quickly get the hang of it. Overall, it's a good radio for local 6-meter FM operations.

N2CKH Rating: 3/5 Nov 16, 2001 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Ok, cheap 6 meter HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As of now I have given my PR-52 a 6 month workout with out fault. It is a big, boxer, not user friendly radio. The display and programming leave a lot to be desired. However, what can one expect for under $150 USD ! The battery on low power lasts about 4 days with a decent 30/70 ratio of talk listen. As my 6 meter system now has IRLP, the PR-52 is getting a good workout.

6 meters is somewhat different that 2 meters, at approximately one third the frequency of 2 meters the wavelength will be 3 times as long. This means that a short rubber duck will work worse on 6 meters than a similarly-sized rubber duck will work on 2 meters. Pryme supplies a decent size rubber duck, however not with a commonly used BNC connector, instead they use the more commercial TNC connector.

I use my PR-52 at my residence, which is the site for my 6 meter repeater. For me this HT suits the bull. However, from due to the nature of most 6 meter repeater systems using unity gain antennae and the characteristics at 6 meters, don't expect 2m like HT performance with any 6m HT walking about or inside a vehicle, 6 meters won't work as well as 2 meters taking all factors into consideration. So basically we are talking outside antenna on the vehicle. Don't get me wrong, a portable, a.k.a. HT on 6m is great, but you need a large 12 inch or long rubber duckie, not a good length in a vehicle. The upshot of this is that 6 meters isn't really a handie-talkie/rubber duck sort of band unless you are very near the repeater site.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH