Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Sandpiper MV10 Help

Reviews Summary for Sandpiper MV10
Sandpiper MV10 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(£135 sterling)
Description: British-made compact multi-band vertical antenna covering all HF bands plus 6m.
More info: http://www.sandpiperaerials.co.uk

You can write your own review of the Sandpiper MV10.

EC3TS Rating: 3/5 Oct 7, 2009 06:51 Send this review to a friend
MV6+3, rare antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have an G5RV not in the best conditions to work due to the limited space. I bougth the MV as my first vertical Hf antenna. At the beggining I can't work with it so good. I've changed the position, adjust the radials, counterpoise... but it works when it wants.... The strong signals are good received and are noiseless than the wire dipole. Extreme narrow! It seems to me that the V range should be better.
The instructions are very poor and outside UK it's difficuls to buy it. I've had to send some emails to WiMo to clarify the ring position and some else.

But it works!

G0AYD Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2009 23:46 Send this review to a friend
fantastic antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having searched for an antenna that would cover from 6 to 30 mtrs came across the sandpiper range,i read all the reviews and decided to buy the mv5 so ordered said antenna 24 hours later delivered to my qth..
first impression were Wow what a nicely constructed antenna,the instructions were simple to follow and 30 mins later was listening to hf,will conclude more tests as days progress.
great service great antenna ...

G0KYX Rating: 3/5 Apr 11, 2009 14:55 Send this review to a friend
G0KYX..Looks good...easy to build  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Actually have the MV6+3. Quick delivery; easy to build..although instructions are brief, they are more than adequate. I set the radials roughly, and have very low SWR on 15 and 20, but can tune the others with IC-703 atu. However, SINCE I CAN ONLY LOFT MOUNT, so far it is somewhat deaf and just dosn't get out well. Even with 10watts on 20m. PSK31, my signal has not been strong enough to complete a QSO, so QRP might be a thing of the past! Chris at Sandpiper tells me to retune all the other radials, and I shall do so to see what improvement that makes when I don't have to use the atu. If this works, I will add a review. Does anyone else use it in a loft?

2E0JKD Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2008 03:50 Send this review to a friend
DEFIES THE CRITICS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ordered the MV10 off mark c/o SANDPIPER AERIALS at 14:30/aeriel was delivered 10.00 next day.was well wrapped.inspected the said antenna and read the limited instructions.drawings fairly helpful but it really does,nt require"EINSTEIN"to assemble the antenna.quality is well made out of alumnium.rubber wrapped inductors.mounted 18" above the gnd.followed the dimensions given and all SWR readings about 1:8...160 way out as is 12 mtrs.fiddled about with the radials in /out/in/out and got resonance to where i want the antenna radiating at the CW portions of the bands..10 of them 160/6 ! !..all now in resonance.160 far far too long so reduced that by 60cms.now ok on 1.845. 12 mtrs still got to sort out.worked for first time ever on top european stations .basically if i can hear them i normally can work them....only snag i found was the securing clamp for the whip was not closing and holding the allY tube..this is a minor glitch but will be asking mark to replace at SANDPIPER AERIALS..all in all a very satisfactory low profile ergonomically pleaseing workable antenna .
no EMC/RFI/TVI problems but i do have 20 feet chicken wire and 5 gnd radials so a very substantial earthing/ground system and an rf choke coax wound 21 feet!..low angle radiation works great for DX.heard 2 americans on 80mtrs 59.pile up and early morning so didnt want to wake the wife as she was sleeping but next time !!florida and south carolina.30 and 80 best bands but the noise floor is no where near as horrendous as it was on my INVERTED " L ".
very very pleased with the design/low profile/build quality/after sales service/and friendliness of SANDPIPER AERIALS.. well done CHRIS AND MARK!..would i buy another 1? if i needed to i would..but as this is well built i don,t think i will have to YET !....all in all a very happy customer..i have no commercial interest in SANDPIPER AERIALS by the way. just a ham giving his own experience of this MV10 to help other hams in deciding...thank you ..2e0jkd .

M0EUK Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2007 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Extremely impressive!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, in common with several of the other reviewers of this tiny compact vertical, I have to say that I am so far very impressed. I have the MV6+3 version (all bands 80m - 6m). Construction appears solid, and although the assembly instructions were very limited, there was really very little that could go wrong - very simple to assemble in 5 minutes or so.

I have the aerial mounted at the suggested 18 inches above ground level, with 4 x quarter wave radials for each band buried beneath the garden beneath it. Tuning was extremely simple with the aid of an MFJ-269 antenna analyser. All bands tuned to < 1.7:1 SWR, most down to pretty much 1:1. As someone else noted, bandwidth on 80 and 40 is narrow, however these bands are certainly very usable across a wider range with the aid of the auto ATU in my TS870.

Performance-wise, the aerial is so far performing really well, considering how small it is. There's been no serious DX to speak of so far, however there's no shortage of contacts to all sides of Europe, and well into North America and North Africa.

In summary, whilst it ain't no king-size beam, for the low cost, and the size, this aerial is well worth a look if you need something compact, (about 12ft high in total). Highly recommended.

M0PCB Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2006 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Very impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yet again Sandpiper impress me. Delivery took a little under 24 hours. Construction took me 5 minutes, took a bit longer than that to tune it (made easy with an antenna analyser).

I got the 40-6M version (including 30/17 and 12M), which is the MV5+3. I am already considering buying the 80M and 160M elements for it, the beauty being that the antenna is so versatile it can be up/downgraded at any time.

First chance I really got to try it out was CQWW CW 06, this weekend gone. I was amazed. 9 all time new DXCC, even worked HC8N on a new band. 8Q7DV on 40M. I was amazed for such a small antenna. Granted some of the DX I worked was weak signals, but they were hearing me first or second call, so I must ahve been radiating at least some power! ;-)

I must say I was also impressed at the simplicity of the design, and also it packs down small enough to be portable, not backpacking style portable, but definitely mini-dxpedition portable.

I would give it 10/5 if eHam would let me. I'm not affiliated with sandpiper at all, but I am a happy user of a number of their antennas, none of which have failed to impress me.

EB5ESX Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2006 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Very SOLID  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We own a V Mk III with 10 until 80 bands.
It is really SOLID.
We have broken 2 Diamond CP-6 in this location becouse we have very high wids.
And .... yes !!! it runs better than the Diamond ... of course, it isn't a Cushcraft R8 , but it is only 3 meters high :-)
If you can't install anything longer and want a solid and ward antenna, this can be your choice.

2E0TAW Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2006 07:18 Send this review to a friend
V3+ 2 (10-20 Mtr.)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this vertical about two months ago and have just ordered the coil for 80 meteres. It is mounted about 3 meters high so that it overlooks my garage roof. I have ran random wires over the roof as my earth is poor. This a/e works very well and has opended up a whole new range of contacts for me. I also have a half size G5RV as my other a/e at 20 feet. The service from Sandpiper has been excellent the product is very well made and should stand the test of time. My queries have been dealt with efficiency and understanding. If you need a vertical go Sandpiper.
Terry
2E0TAW

G4ABX Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2005 15:07 Send this review to a friend
What a great little antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I didn't believe it would work -- its just too short! --- but it does (work that is) and the guy at the manufacturers is so helpful.
My antenna arrived wrapped in more packaging than seemed absolutely necessary, but even with that, the delivery company managed to damage the heat shrink sleeving on the 80m coil. No problem, a quick call to Sandpiper and a replacement was in the post -- free of charge! I was impressed.
To try the antenna out I strapped it to my garden fence -- at 4 ft off the ground, (with no ground conductor and no radials) adjusted the lengths for each trapped radiator, plugged it into my FT-847 and --- It worked. SWR <2:1 and with a bit of adjustment, <1.2:1 on the bits of the bands I was interested in (I have the 80m plus all the WARC bands version)
Next job is to cut some radials (I'm told 40M 1/4 waves are best) and fix it to the side of the house at about 8M high.
-- and I still can't believe it works being so small.
I'll update the review in a few months.

G6WYH Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2005 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will tuck this review in here but mine is the V Mk111 version.
The V4+3 is 14 feet six inches tall and covers all bands, 10, 12, 15,17, 20, 30, 40,
The antenna is well constructed and easy to tune up, the VSWR is less then 1.7:1 across the whole of all bands,except 10m where I could not get it below 2:1
When tuning up the 18 MHz element I heard a JA calling and I went back to him with 10w, quite impressed when he gave me 5,4
I find the antenna quiet compared to other verticals
Since then I have worked most of the world on it, it has stood up well with no signs of deteroration
Have even managed VK and JA on 40m.
Would I buy another one, yes, but I don't think I will need to yet.