Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Dentron MLA 2500B Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron MLA 2500B
Dentron MLA 2500B Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1200.00
Description: 2 KW PEP Amp 160 80 40 20 15 10 m

You can write your own review of the Dentron MLA 2500B.

W5HEH Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2015 22:20 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Desktop AMP for the low Cost   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THE TUBEs are RARE 8875 s , so be prepared to take very gud care of them and consider Grid protection. Mine is MLA 2500 not B,,,
got mine almost 10 out of 10 condition, so clean and nice condition, was surprised, all my signal reports are very good . Xcite with TS-930 Kenwood another oldie but goodie, using pin #7, 6, and 2 on DIN plug. i only run 500-600 watts SSB to extend Tube life, there are some mods for Russian tubes just in case . Also a Yahoo Dentron Group for help,i suggest an Inrush current protector . EAsy to tune , i use an oldie SA2060 Heathkit Tuner between AMp and Antenna, works great . Harbach's is offering Timming Relay and CAP/ PS board for these, For the low cost these AMPS are great if you find one in very good working order .Hope someday 8875 tubes will be produced , i want a back up pair lol.If you have more than 500. or save and buy a Twin 3-500z amp those tubes are available. 73s

K7FU Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2015 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Purchase  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up my MLA-2500 at the SeaPac hamfest a couple of weeks ago for $350.00. I was told it was working and that is about all they knew about it. I took it home and started inspecting the amp. What I found was a Like New amp with almost 0% dust inside the cabinet, including the fan blades. All of the bandswitch wafers looked almost unused and no flashovers. So after doing some research I decided to order the Harbaugh Cap and time delay kit before trying the amp on the air. Harbaugh shipped quickly and the install is fairly painless. (Take your time!) Ok time to test.... Turned it on to find out the HV was a healthy 2400V and the fan was running somewhat quietly. Ok lets see what 20 watts of drive will do.... about 500W out. (see a big smile forming on my face right about now) Hit is with 40 and about 700 W, now you can see my teeth as it was a big smile. Same on all bands. Things I would like to see different are the loud fan when running at full speed, and a loud relay. But for $350.00 I have a great amp and it looks good on my desk.

IZ0ANH Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2014 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this amp from a friend for a short time, it seemed very satisfactory quality / price.

In Italy if they are not many, are indeed a few owners of this amplifier.
I would buy one but not found in europe.

Some selling is just a USA with high shipping costs
I wonder if one day I'll be able to have this amplifier?

Who can suggest me where to find a good Dentron MLA 2500B.
Thanks 73 de Camillo iz0anh

WB7ESV Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2013 20:36 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recieved my MLA 2500B 5 years ago from a SK estate. It had very low hours and looks like NIB.
It was off the air for about 1 year and after reforming the caps, it puts out it's rated power.
For the price, it can't be topped.

KI4FJS Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2012 12:17 Send this review to a friend
UNBEATABLE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is not the B, but the 2500, which I have owned for 34 years, using the same pair of 8875's that came with it from the factory! What more could you ask for? It puts out a solid kw with 90 watts drive, and this rig has served me in Africa for 14 years under the calls TU2DP and EL8C, and since then for the last 10 years here in NC.
It had sat for 10 years unused in storage in Africa while I was on leave in the USA and I replaced all the caps in 1994 when I went back. The only way this rig will leave this house in its original box is when I leave this house in a box!

WA7KGX Rating: 4/5 May 5, 2012 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Check the connector mounting screws  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 2500 (not B) I bought many years ago just to get an amp with 10 meters before the FCC ban on 10 meter amps went into effect.

After many years of non use, I decided to put it back into service. So far I have removed the tubes, cleaned it, strapped the power connections to 120 volts, and powered up the amp with 40, 100, and now a 200 watt bulb in series.

I happened to notice that the two mounting screws for the RF OUT connector were loose. I have never touched these screws before. Indeed, this is the first time I've had the covers off since installing the original valves. One might wish to check these screws to make certain they are snug.

KD8JMQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2012 09:52 Send this review to a friend
I have two  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok here are my thoughts;
If you find one in good shape with the original tubes(8875);and you see no less than 1kw and no more than 1300 watts; the amp is a buy.
Make sure the electrolytic caps are either new or replace them.
Never try to drive the amp past the alc.
Tune the amp and bring up the drive until you reach max output and set the radio for that wattage.
Use common sense

If you have ANY amp with original tubes and it still is putting out full power; It won't get any better.
Most 2500 amps that survived this long already have all the mods done!
I have two MLA 2500 amps. One I have ran for two years non stop with 1250 watt pep output,the other was just purchased with in new condition and not even a trace of dust inside on the fan.
Both amps put out Exactly the same output!
I paid 500 for the first amp
I paid 1200 for the "NIB" amp

My point; If it's working and you operate it with the Dentron protection mods in place; You won't have to worry about substituting some other tube.

Things I love about this amp

lightweight
small
lots of power
smooth tuning
can run on 110v with good line current
clean output
attractive
CHEAP (A new amp doing the same will cost you big bucks and probably end up blowing something)

In my opinion; If the 8875 was put back into production; you would see everyone flooding the market to buy them and building amps around the MLA 2500!

Unless I "Kick the bucket" sometime soon or you kick my door down at gunpoint; YOU WONT GET MINE

K9MHZ Rating: 2/5 Jan 16, 2012 06:47 Send this review to a friend
It works, and it's OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sorry to veer away from the glowing reviews about this amplifier. I owned and operated one for 10 years and found it to be OK at best.

The swamping resistor input circuitry is an absolute joke. It was clearly cheap in design, allowing Dentron to avoid putting in a tuned input circuit into the small cabinet.

The cooling air was sufficient only until you operated with more than a small amount of duty cycle. I personally wouldn't ever use it on any mode other than SSB with lower, uncompressed drive.

The grid current was a mess.

It did "work", and the tube choice is a good and solid one, but Dentron definitely went on the cheap trying to cram it all into the small cabinet.

KB8YIJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2011 00:34 Send this review to a friend
5.5  Time owned: more than 12 months
Im a RF engineer and I see all the things that are said about the Dentron MLA 2500 amp. I can tell you of course their amp has issues but for the size and the punch it has find a better one!

I own a few of these and I can tell you they will run with the best of them for the money.

Just watch the grid current and let her rip for the size and what it is (Really) It will outperform a SB220 like nothing!

VK3OT Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2011 22:19 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but a goodie  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a short review about an old MLA2500.
It started life in Australia in 1979 at the CQWW VK2ATZ/Lord Howe Contest station after which I transported it to Xmas Island as VK9XT and ran it into a QUAD 1000 feet above sea level and worked 65000 contacts between 1980 and 1982.
If you have a light blue or dark blue VK9XT card then you worked this amplifier.
It never missed a beat and when it cme time to ship it back to VK, the post master would not accept it back the way it came so I was forced to carry it in my luggage in with my clothes. It was used at my home QTH to set a 5th word high score on 10 mtres in the ARRL and then by VK3AKK to set high score on 40M. Then in mid 1980s sold it to Jeff VK8GF who used it until he left VK8 in the lates 2000's, he sold it to Eddie VK4AN who sold it to Peter VK5PJ who just sold it back to me (VK3OT).
Its the original amp in original condition and is back here after 25 years. It still has the original tubes and I know that because when I hand carried it back through Singapore to VK3 the tube fell out and rattled around in the tank area and I had to use some straight nosed pliers to get the dents out and you can see the plier marks. I have jst pulled the tank circuit apaart and linished the silve rplating on the switch and lubricated the bearings and cleaned out all the red centre bull dust. I ran it into a load and get 1000 watts out for 65 watts of drive and it goes 800 mA key down at 100+. Original tubes, original caps, and the original well travelled case. Date codes on tubes are 1975. You can still see the engraving under the corrosion and rust spots. As someone said at $500-$600 good dollaars per watt. Pity about 9975's being obsolete, but then Im obsolete so what the heck. Just need to stop the power transformer humming and change the fan over to new 120mm 12V late design with modern blades to get the fan noise down at high speed. Need to find out if the Nulon shield has been left out of the power transformer mounting.