Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | Code Quick 2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Code Quick 2000
Code Quick 2000 Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $39.95 (CD) or 29.95 (Download)
Description: Morse code self-training software (includes exam theory too)
More info: http://www.cq2k.com

You can write your own review of the Code Quick 2000.

HFHAM2 Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2011 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Works when other methods don't  Time owned: more than 12 months
Code Quick 2000 is the absolute best method for teaching morse code that I've come across (and I tried quite a few).

I had started learning with other products, but they very quickly became tedious and boring. So much so, that I quickly abandoned them (with very little code learnt).

Code Quick 2000 was the only one which held my attention, was actually quite fun to use, *and* (and this is the big one), actually got results. I quickly passed my 5 wpm code test and later went on to pass my 13 and 20 wpm tests (with 100% copy at 20 wpm); all achieved using only Code Quick 2000.

I will admit that in now trying (years later) to better 20 wpm, the sound-a-likes probably do hold me back (my brain still tries to use the sound-alikes to decode what I'm hearing at times), but I firmly believe that without Code Quick 2000, I would have simply given up trying to learn morse code and would therefore not have bothered pursuing an amateur radio license. Operating CW was my only interest in getting into the hobby and largely remains so).

For many ham radio operators, 20 wpm is fast enough and Code Quick 2000 will take you there without boring you to death.

W4ARZ Rating: 2/5 Oct 23, 2011 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Read Between The Lines  Time owned: more than 12 months
CodeQuick 2000 Will get you your 5wpm. No question and no doubt about it. But read between the lines folks.. Look at the reviews here.
W4KTX says " ...and the sound alikes stay with you ""
KI4PBQ says ...but I can't get the sound a likes out of my head now ""
K9FE says ". The only problem is that you still have the silly sound-a-likes in you head. They eventually leave in about 5 years! "
N0HK says "the sound alikes get distracting. "even after almost two years absence from code, I still remember all of the characters because of the Code Quick. "

Now Put 2+2 together. Code Quick will get you your 5wpm BUT those gosh awful sound alikes....band rat a tat....A light is lit"... Mom in law ate it"... Catch it Catch it "... and more..just plant themselves into your mind and EVERY time you hear CW and try to copy it...the Sound a likes get in the way and keep you from moving to a higher speed.. It's literally brain washing technique to learn 5wpm cw and you know how hard it is to un-learn someone who has been brainwashed...to cite an example..extreme but true.
8 years ago I used this proggram and I passed the test easily..NOW I pay the price every day when I try to copy code faster then 5wpm. My advice....get the Gordon West W5yi method.. It will work and you won't have to deal with the Code Quick sound a like Horror ...

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2011 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Great System  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the original cassette tapes (yes cassette, not 8-track) back in the 1980's. I could not pick up code as easily as other hams but this system took me from passing 5 wpm all the way up to 20 wpm. instead of dah-dits code was changed to mnemonics which made everything easy to digest.

KD0OCX Rating: 3/5 Jul 6, 2011 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Integration problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't get the program to integrate it's parts successfully on my computer. Wheeler sent me the password for downloading three times. He does have a thumb drive available which I'll try if I can't make satisfactory progress with other programs.

In my opinion his security system is tighter than need be. I don't believe that people interested in code are high risk folk.

N9AMI Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2011 18:24 Send this review to a friend
GOOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
How can someone say they passed there code test when there has not been code testing for a number of years? The product is good hands down you want to get a leg up on code fast buy this and you should have no problem with general class speed in 2 weeks. I had 17wpm send and receive.

AD5GX Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Awesome and Enduring!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this back in 2003 to get up to 13 WPM. I then let it slide for 6 years. I took a morse code class and found it came back very quickly and that the second time of learning code was painless--the mnemonics were still accessible in my brain! I'm now right back up to 13 WPM and expect to easily go higher.

K3DC Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2009 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Works but aging  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now that I've passed my 5WPM test I can review this software.

When I started learning morse about 5 weeks ago it seemed like an impossible goal. I tried G4FON, morsegen, ARRL code tapes, and some web pages that would convert letters to morse. I almost gave up. I read some pages on the Internet about learning the code via sounds and heard about Code Quick. With the exception of 1 review here all reviews were favourable. I downloaded it and I believe I've spent 30 hours with it and have done very well. One guy in our club complained that "it is not free" and I take offence to that statement. Sure it may be $30 but if it can save you just 5 hours or even more or even help you then what is $30? You'll spend so much more on a keyer and a decent paddle.

I think that for teaching this software should get a 5/5 rating. As software though it is more like 3.5/5. Here are my rants.

1. Long in the tooth.

cq2k.com states that the program works in Vista. It does but there are some annoyances. First, the initial registration will not allow you to enter date in the popup. You have to terminate it and immediately run it again. I found this on my vista desktop and my vista laptop. Next, you'll get annoying error message popup on startup. program still works. Finally, some takes refer you to the help in the program. In Vista winhelp is no longer part of the OS and this does not work.

2. Registration

When you buy cq2k online the author will email you a code and a word. Each word is only valid for a particular date. If you bought it on 02/01 then you'll receive words for 02/01 and 02/02. You'll need Internet access to register it initially. After that, it is no longer needed. I'm a computer geek so I have many computers. I have a Vista desktop and a Laptop. Primarily I run Wine unde Linux so for the last month I've ONLY booted Vista to run this program. I wanted to test under Wine and the author sent me a new word. Unfortunately it did not work in Linux but that is just the way it goes. For me this registration thing is a bit of an annoyance. 3 weeks ago I was looking at a netbook running XP. To install CQ on it would require I get another authentication code from the author. So basically, every time you get a new PC or reinstall you'll have to get a new code. Make sure to keep your original pay pal receipt.

In summary, this program is very good at teaching the code. I'm happy with my purchase and will continue to use it to get up to 13 WPM. I would suggest that the author fix the Vista issues and possibly research a better way to combat piracy. I'm old school and when I pay for software I assume I won it. That code thing makes me feel more like a renter.

ki4ymd

WX0B Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2008 16:55 Send this review to a friend
I never would have believed it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sharon, my XYL now N5CK a 20WPM Extra learned the code with this program! She had 20 WPM speed built up in about 2 to 3 months. She passed the Extra Class and the hardest part was the theory, not the code test. This thing works. And I am proud of her too. ......Jay, WX0B you know us as Array Solutions.

AB0RE Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2008 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Great methods, could use some polishing...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned both the CodeQuick2000 program and the CodeQuick CD sets. For the purpose of this review I'll talk about the Codequick CDs.

The CDs are great. I got them to brush up on my code while driving. The sound-alikes are an ingenious method to remember the code. Dr. Wheeler also has pages of other suggestions to help the code sink in. He makes learning (and re-learning) the code as quick and painless as it could possibly be. After spending a couple weeks (1-1.5/hr a day) with the CDs I've regained much confidence in my CW abilities.

Opportunities? It appears putting the audio files on CD was an after-thought. All the daily lessons in the manual reference the tapes (what are "tapes", anyway?). There is an addendum at the end of the manual telling what tracks are on each of the 6 CDs. What they should have done is simply updated each of the daily lessons in the manual to point to the correct CD track.

Also, it's quite confusing that one must switch back and forth between the Lesson's CDs, the Daily Drill CDs, and the Stepper CD. In the book you go back and forth between the lessons, then the answer keys, and each of the 4(?) addendums in the rear of the manual with the answers. Oh, and there is a separate sheet of paper they've included with the daily code practice answers. (I found at least two errors on the separate sheet - you'd think if it wasn't even part of the manual it'd be an easy fix.) Wheeler should've made it so one can put one CD in at a time, then the next, then the next, while following along page by page in chronological order in the manual. Lastly, I found the flash cards to be a bit flimsy. They are essentially regular paper with colored images on them - after going through the series the flash "cards" have seen their better day. It'd be nice if he made them a bit thicker / coated much like a deck of plaing cards.

All in all it's a great product, despite its quirks mentioned above. With a product this accomodating there really is no reason not to know code if its something that interests you.

Dan / ab0re

AB9NZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2008 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Great !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you can't get the code with a free program, Get Code Quick. I'm talking all around the world on a hundred watts and a dipole thanks to this wonderful method. Almost every new cw operator I've met on the airwaves learned with Doc. Wheelers program. I was never code tested, but am enjoying membership in a wonderful fraternity. Learn the code and work the mode!
73 de Tom Bruzan, AB9NZ