Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Stealth II Help

Reviews Summary for Stealth II
Stealth II Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Stealth II.TM series HF mobile antennas are the latest, 5th generation design by VE7BOC/W6 (HA5CMG) in the HF high performance mobile antennas. Center loaded, motorized-tunable from 6M to 40M (Stealth II.TM -2.5) 6M to 80M (Stealth II.TM -3 and -4)
More info: http://www.qth.com/stealthantennas/

You can write your own review of the Stealth II.

KE3HF Rating: 2/5 Dec 3, 2004 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Good performance, Questionable design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned a Stealth for about a year and a half. During that time I sent it back several times for repairs. While the performance was good, I was less than thrilled with the "rugged" contruction. I live in an area where we reach weather extremes. I was looking for an antenna that I could leave on the vehicle all year and survive the environment here. I bought the antenna based on discussions with Charlie about how rugged the antenna was. I was very dissappointed. It arrived damaged (not necessarily Charlie's fault). And I had to send it back. Charlie fixed it, but I found that during cold weather, the transmission used to drive the shaft would break and no longer turn the shaft (could not retune). I sent it back twice for this. During the months of July and August (especially on trips to the Mississippi Gulf Coast), the brass contactor would expand and jam the motor so that it would not move. To get it to move, I had to ice down the coil, retune it and hope that I did not have to change bands again until I could cool down the coil again. When the transmission broke the last time, I replaced the Stealth antenna with a homebrew screwdriver antenna. I don't know if the these problems have been remedied.

KG6IFW Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2002 01:29 Send this review to a friend
Pure perfection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I spent lots of time searching articleS, checking out advertisements and reading reviews (like these) Finally after talking to other hams, my decision was easy. I bought the Hi-Q-4/80 RT. That as it turns out was a darn good choice.

I built a special mount for the back of my Dodge pickup truck. Made of 4 inch channel iron, welded and installed to sit about 8 inches above the sidewalls, and about a foot behind the cab. I ran 2 battery grounds from the frame (one on each side of the mount) and then ran braded ground wire to the antenna base. There cannot possibly be a better grounded antenna!

I took 2 of the 102 inch stainless whips to Charlie down in Wildomar, CA. He cut one short to about 5 ft. I was still able to get a 1:1 swr on all bands from 80 to 6 meters. Charlie did add the shunt below the antenna so that I could get the low swr's on 40 and 80 meters. The coil itself is well above the cab of my truck, so radiation should be great, it is also near dead center between the front and back of the truck. The 2nd antenna, we did not cut, but added a 32 inch cap hat to it. I tried it out this morning in the driveway and could not believe my ears, this thing is great!

As for performance, I matched the antenna with an Icom 706MKIIG and run it barefoot. I did put a cross needle type meter on the dash so that I can tune each band for minimum swr's. I just drop the power on the radio to 10 or 20 watts, switch over to RTTY, key the mike, and adjust the antenna. I also put the meter on low power to allow me finer swr tuning.

My first contacts were on 14.336 with the county hunters, and I got good reports from all over the country. I am in Southern California, and got a friend near Ithica, NY on the phone. We jumped on an empty freq. He gave me a 5/9 sounded like I was running power, and I could just barely pull him out thru all the East Coast noise. Soon as we got going, I was picked up by radios in FL, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. We quit to finish our phone call (yes, I was in my pickup) When I got back on the air, I searched around and heard a huge East Coast pile up. I dropped my call sign into the traffic for Estonia. He called back for my call, said he only got the KG6 part. I tried to call back, but the East Coast guys just killed me.

Today was just my second day with the antenna, and I was driving for both of my long range contacts. I got a 5/9 from KL1V in Valdez Alaska, he said I sounded awsome, then I worked a pile up for PY7ZY in Brazil. He was my first DX ever. Gave me a 5/9 said I was very clear and strong. Also mentioned how powerful the signal was in Brazil.

This is truly the quality antenna that I read about. There was no "hype" in the advertising, as everything was just the way Charlie had said. He even took pity on me being a new General and helped me with the installation and setup of the antenna.

If my next 40 years in ham radio are as rich and rewarding as the last 2 days, I will have to say that I owe it all to Charlie and his quality product. Nothing would have discouraged me more than being new to HF, spending hard earned money on equipment, and then not being able to get out.

This radio gets out, I get compliments on the signal, and I couldn't be happier. There is no better way to start than this way.

Thanks Charlie, 73's Jim KG6IFW

N4ZZK Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2002 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Stealth II & K2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GM, just back from a road trip using the Stealth II - 2.5 with my K2 QRP rig. I operated a few hours each day on the trip to the midwest (from Georgia to Minneasota). All on CW at 10 watts. I had QSOs with Europe, South America, Mexico and Canada and some nice chats with stations around the U.S. The signal reports for the DX ranged from 449 to 579. I was amazed each time I got a reply from a DX station but eventually got used to it, hi hi.

It seems every Stealth II installation is a little different so here are the details on mine.

The QD base is installed on an inverted 11" drop hitch. I used the 12" extension with the cap hat and a 7 foot whip above that. This puts the tip at about 14 feet above the road. (I know this is a little bit over the 13' 6" recommended but I didn't have any trouble). I have some pix on my web page if you would like to see more, www.mindspring.com/~aludwick

The antenna tuned up well on all of the bands I used (40-10). SWR was 1.1 to 1.6 measured with an antenna analyser.

Overall, I'm very happy with this antenna. When you only have 10 watts you don't want to give too much of it away to losses and it seems that the Stealth II does a good job of radiating a good bit of it.

73, Al
N4ZZK

KJ9A Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2002 01:01 Send this review to a friend
Stealth?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this antenna but I think it's a contadiction in terms.

N0XB Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2002 16:02 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST--BAR NONE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Given the quality and craftsmanship of this antenna, I'll bet I could wait 5 years and write the same thing I'm saying now. This is THE BEST mobile antenna ever made! Period.

If you read the rest of the reviews, all I can add is that if you've been putting off the purchase of a "real" mobile antenna, wait no longer. You can spend less, and that's exactly what you'll get....less.

The differences, however, are HUGE...HUGE. Do you want a radiator or a resistor? Do you want a mechanical monster that requires monthly maintenance or a superbly crafted, mil-spec work of art that is maintenance and trouble free. Not to mention the great support if you have questions or installation issues.

I'm truly impressed and pleased with my Stealth II 2.5/80 which I have mounted on the trailer hitch of my car. The signal reports I get are simply amazing, especially on 75/80 and 40. It's a delight to use from the car. I highly recommend the Stealth II antennas to any mobile operator. You'll be amazed at what you get when you buy one.

K8BI Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2002 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Awsome Performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After much research I chose the Stealth 3 inch antenna for my new, first time (serious) HF mobile installation. I have tried HF mobile several years ago with the Hustler line of center loaded antennas and was very disappointed with the results. Recent developments in antenna technology have caused me to consider trying mobile again. At first I thought I wanted a screwdriver antenna, but after looking at the coil size and efficiency numbers I came across the stealth web site and realized that this was the antenna I would use. I would have chosen the 4 inch version, but I do not often work 75 meters from home, let alone mobile. And the 3 inch gets me good reports on 75 the couple of times I have tried the antenna on that band for testing purposes anyhow. My main reason for going with the 3 inch is that additional guying is not needed. In addition to the excellent quality of the antenna, I like the fact that the coil is completely enclosed and not exposed to the salt and road spray we experience much of the year in Michigan. Although I usually stay on 20 meters, I did purchase the AmCom auto antenna controller for occasional automatic band changes. I am using my Icom IC706MKIIG barefoot and get excellent reports from local and Dx contacts. Some recent DX includes EA8-59+20dB (through a pile-up), UA's-59+, JT (that's right-Mongolia) 59+ and the list goes on. With the quick disconnects I can disassemble and remove the antenna in seconds. With all the disconnects and cap hat and shipping the antenna cost about the same as the better screwdriver antennas on the market. If you want a great mobile signal and don't like the frustration of using a dummy-load-on-a-stick(I already have a heater in my vehicle)call Charlie and talk to him about building one of these great antennas for your mobile.

Very 73,

Bill K8BI

KG4NBL Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2001 21:05 Send this review to a friend
It just Keeps getting better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have now had my STEALTH II-4 for over 8 months,a it has not yet given me any problems.(amazing for something this beautiful.) Along with being able to work 80m thru 10m i have now received matching 160m coil (also 4' dia) that now alolows me to work any where on 160 (thats right anywhere) If anyone would like to hear this antenna,tune to 1895.00 +/- 1 nightly on the 3905cc early at 0200 or 0500 for the late net. I am running a ALS500 when i am mobile,and a 811H when i am portable,and still maintain a 1to1 swr. I will be going to alaska in the spring and the stealth II-4 will be my primary antenna for 160m thur 10m. it just keeps getting better.

PA3DUV Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2001 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, Great Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 40000 miles on the European roads the Stealth II-3 showed some humidity inside the coil housing. The source of the water drops was not clear, most likely condensation or rain. After asking Charlie from Hi-Q Antennas what to do he immediately offered me to send a replacement coil complete with contactor and spindle a no costs. No fuzz! No questions! No corner cutting! No fingerpointing!
The man just stands behind his product.
Charlie mentioned that he is testing the coils by putting them into a bucket of water! When I opened the package I found a brand new MIL SPEC loading coil unit PLUS a massive silver plated Whip Quick Disconnect PLUS all the tools necessary to exchange the old loading coil for the new one.
Charlie even provided the tap and drills!
The conversion was a breeze, 30 minutes and the antenna was like brand new.
This is GREAT customer service.
The Stealth II-3 antenna is rollin' again and back in service since two weeks. Two weeks of rain, fog and high humidity did not affect the antenna or coil. Again effordless qso's with zl2bsj / zl2pqh and zl2arn over the 14 000 mile long path in the morning around 7:00 utc and in the evening over the short path at 10137 KHz.
Buy the Stealth II and you'll not only buy the best mobile antenna but also the best customer service in the world.
Dick Knol PA3DUV

K4ILS Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2001 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Super Great Antenna !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Stealth ll antenna works wonders: I installed mine
along side of my apartment on a 10 ft mast and have had great results using it as a base station
antenna.If you would like to hear how it sounds check with me on 20 meters 14300 (the maritime net)almost every day and see for yourself.I'v gotten great signals from all over this country and many others...I strongly recommend charlie's
Stealth antenna's 73s k4ils/Bill

K7CF Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2001 00:59 Send this review to a friend
Really Happy with Stealth II-4  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was told about Charlie's antenna on 20 meters by K6MB and looked at the web site. I had been mobile with a DK3 for 3 or so years and wanted to try high power and knew that the coil in the DK3 would probably melt. So I bought the Stealth II-4 and is it pretty. I run 500 watts out, peg a analog Bird 250 watt meter on peaks so just guessing at power. I spend much time on the road, I had "ham radio" withdrawals until I got stealth. I worked a pile up with KC4AAA South Pole, McMurdo Sound 5 minutes later with an S7 report, about the same as fixed stations on 20 meters, while I was traveling at 70MPH with a 66 inch whip. Have gotten 10 db over S9 reports into Europe. If I can hear them, I can work them usually. The coil is Cool to the touch on 20 meters with 500 watts.I bought a BB3 160 meter coil, put it on top of the Stealth coil, put on a 102 inch CB whip and got a 20 over S9 report 200 miles away on 160 meters.
Thinking about taking down 4 element quad, who needs it? Just kidding. Stealth II-4 really works well, especially if you want to run 500 watts or so out. Just have to remember to keep the car doors closed when you run amp. No RF in the shack. Have rig in 2001 auto with all the computer junk and works fine.
I use the High Sierra mobile mount and Charlie provided an insulator to use with it. Think this antenna is a winner, you won't be disappointed.
Mike