Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Dentron 4-572B Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron 4-572B
Dentron 4-572B Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,799
Description: Old Dentron amp's with origanal 4 572B Tubes!

You can write your own review of the Dentron 4-572B.

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2014 09:06 Send this review to a friend
I take it they mean the Clipperton L  Time owned: more than 12 months
From the two descriptions I read here, I think they mean the Dentron Clipperton L.

I bought mine from E-bay for $400 plus $50 shipping. Best money I've spent on ham radio gear so far.

The Clipperton L is an adequate amplifier in stock form. Do the Harbach upgrades and improve the cooling and you have an excellent amplifier. For the cost, you just cannot beat this amp. It usually costs less than the venerated Heathkit SB220/221 amps. The 572B's will be made again soon (9/2014) and I hear they will be very high quality tubes with a three year guarantee. I was told they will equal the Cetron factory tubes in all respects. We'll see.

The caps in the power board are over 30 years old so they need to be replaced. The Harbach power upgrade and the Harbach soft start are the two must have upgrades for the Clipperton L. Turning the fan over to pull air out of the case and adding a cooling fan to the top cover are also recommended as the 572B's run better when cooled correctly. Seems the Clipperton L's case is small and air circulation was not a top priority when it was designed. Added cooling means longer life for the tubes and other components.

There are other upgrades that can be done to increase the Clipperton's effectiveness on 160 and 10 meters. On 160, cutting the aluminum case away from the tuning coils and adding lexan will allow for another 100 watts to be generated and replacing some of the lesser quality doorknob transmitting caps with higher quality higher capacity caps will get the Clipperton up to 1200 watts on the 160 band.

The factory parasitic oscillation circuit will also need to be upgraded to prevent the 572B's from running wild. Replacing the factory tube circuit coil with a better one is also recommended. But once done, it is one sweet 10 to 160 meter amp.

With 100 watts drive and all the modifications, I get 1200 watts on all bands. Enough to get me noticed on the bands for sure.

Some folks run this amp at 120 volts. Do not do that. Run it at 220 and forget all the problems. Seems that a lot of people run this amp at 120 volts and they have problems with power output. Better to run any amp that can at 220 volts if possible.

I highly recommend the Clipperton L. It is a desktop powerhouse that for the money, is well worth getting as long as it has the upgrades or you plan on doing them.

W9JCM Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2001 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Energizer Bunny!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this amp for 2 years and not a snip of a problem, love it and I will not let this one go. The 4 572Bs are solid. And 10 meters really does a nice job as far as output too I was surprised. I have no need for another I will retube it when these get a bit weak and keep on going and going.

001 Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2001 12:23 Send this review to a friend
An Excelllent AMP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amp really does Beat the best of them..
I picked it up recently and Love it Not even driving it with more than 40 watt's I get 600 on 28MHZ 75Watt Carrier give a whopping 1700 Watts.. All around Great amp runs on 110! Bye it's self of course still dim's the lights..