Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-11R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-11R
Yaesu FT-11R Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $200.00
Description: 2 Meter HT

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-11R.

AB3CN Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2017 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Bullet proof  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I know i'll be in an RF adverse place, with cell towers and stuff, there is no other handheld radio I have that is so un-prone to intermod and front end collapse. The receiver end is amazing. I understand technology has changed a lot since my purchase from AES in Clearwater, FL, in 1994. Figured the FT-11r would die in time, but it hasn't - it still works well, it's ready to go with the AA battery pack. If you can get one used, it would be worth the effort, in my opinion.

AB3CN Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2014 19:16 Send this review to a friend
15 years now?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this bullet-proof radio for over 15 years now. When my other HT's get front-ended in high RF places this FT-11r gets a clean signal. That ability to operate (receive) in nasty RF environments is why I've kept it and still use it. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

OM7AG Rating: 2/5 Nov 7, 2010 08:17 Send this review to a friend
25  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am the owner of the TRX for about 12 years. I have a problem with battery pack FNB-31. One piece have already collapsed and the second is very poor.I am in need of new battery pack with NiMH batteries. I could not buy even FBA-14 battery case.

KB7XU Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2008 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned this for about 5 years and had a lot of enjoyment out of it. The radio never disappointed me (not something I can say about all the ham stuff I own). I thought it was sized just right.

KE5MOJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2008 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Solid hand held.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I traded for this radio from a friend back in 1994. He had bought it, but found it to be low power (1.5 Watt). At the time I drove a truck and it bounced around in the truck for 3 years. I used to listen to the radio, as I was not a licensed ham. It saw alot of wear as being in a semi truck does that to alot of equipment. When the battery died, I placed the radio in storage. In 2007 I finally took the test as I was no longer a truck driver and had the time. I was able to dust off the radio, add a new battery. It works great, even on low power. I had had many contacts since I received my license. One thing I did notice, was that I was able to increase the power of the radio by modifiying the dead battery with a direct power connection to my car. The power jumped to 5 watts and I was able to make contacts with repeaters 20-30 miles away. Very impressive for a hand held, especially one that old.

KC4GMY Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2006 17:25 Send this review to a friend
One of the best HTs ever made!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A small, lightweight, and featured packed transceiver. Very reliable!

N8QID Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2005 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Great little 2M handheld!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an FT-11r back in 1993, and I still own it today. Compared to the other radios that were available at the time, this one beat them hands down. The 2 meter receiver is sensitive yet rejects intermod better than the other radios that I was used to (Alinco DJ-160, Icom u2AT).

Even today, it is an excellent 2 meter radio and still has most of the features that current 2 meter handhelds have.

You can't expect a radio that was released in 1993 to have all of the features of today's rigs. General coverage receive in a handheld was unheard of.

If you see one of these around for a good price, grab it. You won't be disappointed. You will probably have to get some replacement battery packs for it, but they are still easily available.

AB9DT Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2004 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Good solid HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I won't give it a full 5 because the mobile charger is only a 3. The FT-11 was my very first radio back in 1995 when I got my first ticket.
I still use it today, and as far as I know my brother-in-law, who got one for his first radio is still using his.
My FT-11 has carried me through many storm watches and trips on family vacation. While my wife doesn't like because of the more compact size, I still use mine today.
2 meter is nearly dead in my area, but the radio is far from it. If you are looking for a good starter HT with the ability to last, then I would higly recommend this radio.
While I have long since burned up the mobile charger, and went through several hand mics, the rig itself is still pretty reliable. The only drawback is the size of the programming buttons. They could be a little larger. Also the squelch control could be seperate instead of blended in with the volume control buttons. You have to push the F button to set the squelch. Other than that It's a great little radio. But, then I said that already didn't I?

NJ696 Rating: 4/5 Mar 14, 2003 13:32 Send this review to a friend
good with defects  Time owned: more than 12 months
although i am not a ham, i use this radio for fire/ems use and also when in my boat... its an awsome radio except..... i did drop it a few times and the back BNC mount cracked, i had to order a new backing plate for it.... yaesu had to get it from japan witch took 2 MONTHS!!! but finially after that repair and a new knob its working again except i screwed up the RF ajustments and cant figure out how to fix the sql on it

N8DXN Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2002 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Durable and Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think this is a workhorse of a radio. Great feeling in the hand, great audio, and easy to use. No need to carry around the instructions with you. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. In bad RF places (likes at malls and at the work place, this radio receives better than my IQ-q7 and Yaesu vx-1r by a longshot. The battery holder (4xAA) works and fits very well with the radio. Like so many other radios, if not all, the supplied trickle charger should have been a 100ma rate with an auto shut0ff. This is an excellent radio to pick up for two meters, simple straight forward controls, and great profromance for what it does.