Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Mirage A-1015-G Help

Reviews Summary for Mirage A-1015-G
Mirage A-1015-G Reviews: 9 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $389
Description: 6m 10W in-150W out amplifier w/ preamp
More info: http://www.mirageamp.com/mirageamp/products.php?prodid=A-1015-G

You can write your own review of the Mirage A-1015-G.

KSAVES2 Rating: 0/5 Jan 9, 2011 07:50 Send this review to a friend
No Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First off I bought it new from MFJ. Put it on a dummy load as soon as I got it and it only put out half the rated power. Sent it back, took two months to fix and it works on FM but SSB the transmit relay chatters like a sonofagun. I tried adjusting the delay as much as I could and no dice,
"Mighty Fine Junk" is a good anagram. Don't want to foist it off on anyone else so I just use it on FM.

W2RS Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2010 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Use a fan  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up a used A-1015-G, built by Mirage before the company was acquired by MFJ. It measures 150 watts out with 9 watts drive from my Ten-Tec 1208 transverter. However, after half an hour or so of normal use, the amp ran very hot. I placed a muffin fan on top of the heat sink, which solved the heat problem. I used it in the ARRL June VHF contest, operating mostly CW, and the amp ran nice and cool. I strongly recommend the use of a fan.

The internal preamp, however, adds some gain but is actually noisier than the 1208 transverter. So, I keep the preamp turned off.

Overall, 4 out of 5.

PE1GUR Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2007 06:50 Send this review to a friend
test  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this amp. 8 years ago. It has been used on many DX trips in rude circumstances. Overload/VSWR protection workes perfect.

In all this years L3 has once burned out, and the preamp died this year. I replaced it with a BF981 with a narrow gate tune/aircoil. This gave better results too.

The A1015G gives 175W clean PeP (1DB compressionpoint)with 18W drivepower(14V DC/18 Ampere). For havy duty field operation by tropical temperatures I mounted 2 extra coolingfans on the bloc. I also messured that the balance of the two transistors isn't perfect. Maybe not matched pairs are used.

KJ4DX Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2005 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Decent amp, poor QC  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this amp at a hamfest for 50 bucks. The owner said it only put out half its rated power. Okay -- got it home and found that one of the two power transistors hadn't been correctly soldered in!! A quick silver-soldering job, and the unit was on the air with 160 watts.
I blew the preamp with the RF autosensing circuit modification in place, driving it with a blistering 7 watts. Concensus is, I think, that it is pretty good for the money, but it is still a little cheesy around the edges.

WB2AMU Rating: 4/5 Jan 6, 2004 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Pre-MFJ version is best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Mirage A1015G amplifier for over 11 years, before MFJ took over. I found out from others that the RF sensing circuit was modified or disconnected because of FCC rules about amplifiers that could be modified for CB bands. So MFJ amplifiers needed to be modified to make the RF sensing work. My amplifier has been used a lot and has traveled on the road with me on Six Meter grid square trips without failure. The problems that were highlighted in the other comments (disconnected ground, poor assembly quality) seems to point to poor quality issues that MFJ has experienced during manufacturing of some of their products.

W6GDK Rating: 1/5 Apr 17, 2003 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Typical MFJ product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 1015G soon after MFJ took over Mirage. I have also owned a B108 two meter amp since 1982 ( original Mirage) which I am very happy with, so I tried the 6 meter amp. I use the RC-1 remote control with both amps. The B108 works great with the RC-1, the 1015G will not work with the RC-1, inspite of what Mirage advertises.

The B108 uses switching diodes and relays to control the main 12 VDC for the amplifier. The RC-1 only switches a small current to turn on amplifier power. On the 1015G, the designers attempt to run the entire 20 amps thru the small 20 guage cable connecting the RC-1 to the 1015G. Thus , the amp will turn on when idling, but because of the voltage drop, output power is only 10 watts, the same as my FT736R driver.

I also experienced the same high SWR problems one other reviewer had. My problem turned out to be sticky switching relays for the preamp/power amp circuits. I cleaned them and the SWR problem went away.

I still notice that when using FM, the output power seems to ramp up slowly ( usually takes 1 to 2 seconds for full power). I don't trust this amp, so it gets very little use.

I keep this piece of MIGHTY FINE JUNK because I would feel guilty pawning it off on some other ham

K6SDW Rating: 2/5 Jun 14, 2002 22:34 Send this review to a friend
OK amp, awful company!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Amp works OK, puts out 150w and preamp seems to help, however....for some reason the RF sensing switch in the Six meter unit is disabled at factory so you gota hardwire it to transceiver (no big deal, really!). When I called to inquire what's up with that, I was told too damn bad, running the amp with the RF sensing switch risks blowing the preamp circuit so live with it (I ain't making this up)....so, amp ok, but Customer Service sucks!!!

KB8UUZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2001 18:20 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had both the 2 meter & 6 meter Mirage amps (still have the 6) and both of them work great! Never had a problem at all. Had the 2 meter for 3 years and am on my 2nd year with the 6 meter. Even modifying the 6 to key on RF was easy, just re-solder the factory lifted resistor. Pre-amps work super, SWR at 1:1. Antennas: for 2 meters was the Cushcraft A148-20T and for 6 is the A50-5S. Sorry to hear other people had problems, but nothing but good comments here.

NX7U Rating: 0/5 Apr 14, 2001 10:43 Send this review to a friend
I'm so mad I can't see straight!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased NEW at HRO last year and straightaway installed in home station. Always seemed a bit flaky--very sensitive on the VSWR trip and seemed inconsistent. When PREAMP only was turned on (and AMP was off) input SWR very high--exciter would shut down. Must have checked the antenna and coax 100 times, always came back <1.4:1 SWR with both Autek VHF-1 and my GR vector network analyzer. So finally opened it up today and THE RF OUTPUT COAX SHIELD IS NOT SOLDERED TO THE CHASSIS GROUND! The lug is there and so is the coax shield pigtail but they're not connected! Never were! How the H*** did this get out of QC? 'Cuz there MUST NOT BE A Q.C.!
Great job guys! Lost my business FOREVER.