Reviews Categories | Direction Finding equipment | Foxfinder Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Foxfinder Kit
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $65
Description: Shirtpocket sized audio indicator of signal strength.

You can write your own review of the Foxfinder Kit.

KF7GD Rating: 4/5 Nov 10, 2005 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Great kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really enjoy using this kit to show people how antenna patterns work. It works fine for simple Thunts and well worth the money. I built it in an evening and it worked the first time!

Its not as good as vk3yng's VHF sniffer (the king of vhf fox recievers!) but it also does not cost $200. Nicely done, thanks.

NS0W Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2001 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Works great - very professional kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I only recently completed the kit and just ran a couple of tests with it. It works great, but like any and all DF equipment, it is not a "magic" DF tool. You have to know your equipment and be aware of the pitfalls of the particular design. This is what makes DF hunting a sport. I used the Foxfinder with a tape-measure Yagi and it is a perfect combination.

The kit is outstanding. I am an experienced kitbuilder and found no problems in building it. If you really want to nitpick, you could probably complain about the silkscreening on the PCB that was slightly off to one side or the hookup wire that was too thick in my opinion. I substituted my own hookup wire and I really enjoyed building this. The kit worked first time and the set-up was a breeze - You need a DMM though, and if you do not have a FoxBox, you will need somebody to help you out with a HT.

I want to congratulate NVARC on a very professionally packaged and presented kit. They even included a little dowel and a nail to aid in the construction of the coil. The instructions were clear, all components were included to enable the builder to build a complete and well finished kit - up to and including quality labels to go on the encolsure. It is obvious that NVARC has built many of these and used the feedback to improve the kit to perfection.

I cannot suggest any significant improvements - so I have no choice as to give it a 5 for all aspects.

WB4ZNH Rating: 3/5 Apr 16, 2001 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised. Really tough kit.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only recently completed the construction of this kit which was featured in the April Qst. It appears to work just like advertised.

This is a really tough kit to build. It is very tedious and requires tools and equipment the average Ham probably does not own. There were several missing parts, which NVARC quickly supplied. Some parts had legs on them too large to fit into the holes in the circuit board. The holes were small and not very well aligned with the image on the board. Many of the traces were extremely close to others. Necessary due to the small size of the finished product. A good magnifier and a voltmeter capable of measuring 50 +/- 5 millivolts is required.
I gave this only a 3 rating because a rating was required and I was trying to rate the assembly condition rather than a performance one.