Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-10R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-10R
Yaesu FT-10R Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2 Meter HT

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-10R.

KC6QJN Rating: 1/5 Oct 12, 2009 10:53 Send this review to a friend
bummer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two of these and they seem to fail internally and start displaying INI2 2E03 at which point they are toast. They are ok up to that point. Anyone figured out a fix for that INI error? Yeasu/Vertex says it is "unrepairable", which means it's not worth their time to fix it.
Anyone else here figure out a fix?

KD0BEP Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2008 21:42 Send this review to a friend
decent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i got this at a ham radio christmas party as part of a gift exchange. i wasnt expecting to get the best gift there when the open 5 year old unwraped ritz cracker box came at me. i was surprised to see a radio. well i had to buy a battery. overall this ht isnt as durable as the new vx-170 which is the "grandchild" to this radio. I now use this radio to loan to the other new hams at my school until they can afford a radio. I would say its built well and resists snow and can handle being dropped. the rf connector is a pain though although it does help the waterproofing somewhat. the radio is pretty thick making it a pain if you have small hands. however it has a lot of features for a cheaper radio. over all i love my gift and it will help many new hams in the future. By the way if you want a little more juice from your radio go and look at radio city inc for their 6 cell battery case it slightly jumps your radio to get a little more output.

KD6JDM Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2008 19:21 Send this review to a friend
After 8 years, still works  Time owned: more than 12 months
My brother and I bought 3 of these between us in 2000 from Jun's in Los Angeles. I like the beefiness and ruggedness of the case. I also like that it goes down to 100 milliwatts RF output. Also, it is simple to program, especially, after I made my own cheat sheet guide; making my own guide meant that I memorized the steps.

I have some minor beefs, along with a couple that affect reliability.

Major (and minor) beef number one, instead of a decent BNC, Yaesu used an idiotic female SMA connector. A solution to need for good aftermarket antennas : Smiley Antennas makes good antennas that use adapters for all the usual couplings. After an adapter broke, I had some trouble with replacement fittings from Smiley, and took the company's advice to try a Motorola SMA when the replacement fittings would not work. Wrong. Turns out the Motorola fitting forced the contact pin assembly into the case to a point at which not even a Yaesu OEM rubber duck would work. After several back-and-forths with Smiley we finally solved that problem. It required disassembling the radio and pushing the antenna connector pin back into place. While it was apart, I dealt with major beef number two: the non-working on-off switch, too. Gentle cleaning the contacts and bottom of the rubber switch with isopropyl alcohol did the job. The aluminum foil trick mentioned in the FT-50R forum looks interesting, too. The on-off switch also needed a guard to recess it further as it was too easy to turn it on when it was in a carry case. Glued an O-ring in place. Works fine.

I have become quite adept at disassembling the HT. Actually, easy to do, but I would rather have not needed to have become fairly skilled at it.

The lack of squelch control knob is mainly an inconvenience. The keypad allows quick access to the squelch setting, even if the knob-controlled menu access does not. It works, though.

The ni-cad battery packs died long ago, and I have used the AA packs since. When not using a mobile (as when in my wife's car), the 12-volt power cord/lighter plug works well to give me all 5-watt operation I could ever want from an HT.

The PTT switch cover could be better, but replacements are fair-priced and not too difficult to install.

I have a Pryme speaker-mic, 12-volt power adapters, plenty of antenna adapters and patch cords, and a roll-up J-pole for use when a mobile rig is not available or feasible to use.

The FT-10Rs were the first new ham rigs I bought, and I have been happy with them. Like others, I do wish the receive range included air band, but a scanner works better as a scanner, anyhow.

My next hand-held will be a dual-bander. Several members of our local club have replaced older HTs with FT-60R handhelds. I like the units and will follow suit.

Steve in 6-land.

N3HKN Rating: 1/5 Jul 4, 2003 18:22 Send this review to a friend
CPU died at 9 months  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still own but only thing that is salvagable is the Nicad battery. Subtracting the cost of the Nicad, and the cost to repair, the unit is equal to what I paid for that part. Makes it a throw away!

Dick N3HKN

KF6OWC Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2002 19:07 Send this review to a friend
its been through hell and back  Time owned: more than 12 months
the ft-10r was the second radio i ever owned. got it as part of a trade. the fella who own it before kept screwing up the programming with his clumsy fingers. any way its survived me, i had to send it in to get a new sma but that was it. i keep it on my fire pack as back up to anything, being a wildland firefighter the radio has been to hell and back with me. yaesu got this one right. un like the 8100r what a piece of #$#%$^%$^%. tnx for reading. jim kossow
kf6owc.

VA7BRO Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2002 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This has been an incredible radio for me, it's super easy to program, has great audio, and is overall very user friendly. the big belt clip on the battery allows me to simply clip the radio to my steering wheel for mobile use. the only thing I'd change about it is the frequency range, it only covers 140 to 174, I'd like it to cover 136 to 174, but this is very minor. 99 channels is also a big bonus over the competition (at the time)

KC4FWC Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2002 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Good all around  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great rig, batteries last a very long time on L1 power level with the LED option turned off. The deviation is 4.0 KC max which is GREAT! So many people sound horrible on 2 meters now days because their audio is so hot. This rig can be easily converted for out of band by removing one resistor under the keypad.

Before I did the mod, however, the power button stopped working. It was stuck ON and would not turn off. Took it apart and cleaned the contact on the PC board and worked well thereafter. Also had the noisy PTT button but the PTT button is kinda in an awkward position. But is still very good radio. It has good speaker audio for the size.

KE6YOC Rating: 4/5 Oct 18, 2001 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Fits in your hand  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio several years ago simply because I liked the way it fit my hand. Being right handed - it has the antenna on the top right which makes the top control knob in the correct place to turn with your index finger and allows the radio to be completely controlled with one hand. It is nicknamed "the hand grenade".

The odd antenna connector and having to charge the battery on the radio are the only cons, my version even has a voice recorder!

N5MZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2001 16:31 Send this review to a friend
good all-purpose HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 3 of these little HT's, one of every version except the 6-key. I bought the first one at a hamfest the month they came out (1996 - ??), and picked up two additional ones in a close-out sale from a national retailer on-line for $120 each! One of the radios has a problem with the on/off button - one in three or four times when the radio is powered off, a continuous hiss is produced in the speaker and will drain the battery in less than an hour. Didn't want to pay the $60 repair, so I just cycle the power button again if this happens and it goes away. The other two models do not have this problem. Also, DCS and automatic CW ID feature is nifty for simplex use at hamfests, events, parades, festivals, etc. No interference and no worries about the 10-minute rule! Easily modified for MARS/CAP (permits required!) by removing a single Zero-Ohm SM resistor. 3-minute (or less) job. I do recommend the MAHA NiMH battery packs as they last considerably longer than the stock packs. Two options on antenna - live with the rubber dummy-load or add a bulky (and pricey) SMA-to-BNC converter. The SMA is inverted - aftermarket SMA duckies won't work on it. All in all, a really decent HT.

N9TES Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2001 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Best 2m HT Ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for just over 5 years now, and I love it. It has all the bells and whistles a monoband 2 meter HT could possibly have.. and it's very durable, I have dropped it.. left it outside in the rain and found it in a puddle, and it just keeps going!

The only complaint I have is that the PTT button is getting a little noisy, but I got my money out of it so I can't complain. When the button gets noisy I just talk on it for a little bit, and after a few keys it seems to clear right up.

Oh, and unlike the FT-50R the tuner knob on this radio works the way it's supposed to. To bad this radio has been discontinued.