Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-900CAT Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-900CAT
Yaesu FT-900CAT Reviews: 82 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,198.00
Description: Compact HF tranceiver with built-in ATU + Collins filter
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft900/specs.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-900CAT.

KB0MM Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2016 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It does everything well and is equally fine as
a mobile or base rig. I prefer this radio over
the new radios out because it isn't menu driven
and not complicated with VHF or UHF. I own two
of them as it is now a discontinued model.

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2015 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this used with the intention of putting it in my truck and using it mobile. However I played with it in my shack running it barefoot into the various antennas I have. Long story short, it is staying in my shack and another rig is now in the truck. Very good receiver and I consistently get "great audio" reports using it with my Heil HM-12 mic. It is an old radio but easy to use, small footprint, and does what I need it to do.

K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2015 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Great rig, wonderful ATU  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this rig several years ago used. As I recall, spent a little under $600 for it with the narrow CW filter.

With the exception of lack of RF gain control (about the only nit I would pick concerning the design), this is just about the perfect rig for the price. Easy to operate and very reliable. And the ATU, as mentioned by several others, is remarkable in its tuning range. Why the newer Yaesu rigs fail in this area is beyond me!

It does suffer a bit from frequency instability, due to Yaesu "going cheap" with the trimmer cap in the Local unit. Mine got worse over time, but "fixed" it using the excellent online tutorial done by Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFX. While the tutorial is based on the FT-890, it applies perfectly well to the FT-900. After doing what Fabian suggested (with a little contact cleaner applied as well), the rig will stay rock-solid all day, even on demanding digital modes such at JT65 and JT9.

If you can find one of these in nice condition, grab it. They don't change hands very often.

KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2013 14:22 Send this review to a friend
I really like it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio going on 13 years. Really the thing works, and it works well. I bought it to use mobile, but I liked it so much that I brought it into the shack. The layout of the radio is very well thought out . It is easy to move around the bands. The atu is a blessing and it works well. The filters are nice to have. I also like to listen to shortwave and having the direct frequency entry buttons is very nice. I run a clear speech speaker with it, so mine even has dsp hi hi. I really like having all the inputs and outputs off the back as this makes it real easy to work sound card digital modes. Also having the extra mic jack in the rear along with the tx switch input next to it, makes using a boom mic easy too. For me this radio makes life easy. It is always on time and on target.

K4MTN Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2013 19:14 Send this review to a friend
If you can find a clean one, buy it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good quality, easy to use, no menus. Always get compliments on audio. Had it in my
Jeep Cherokee for three years and worked over 200 countries. Also worked WAC within an hour while mobile in 2003. Now used as back up radio in my shop. If I can hear it, I can usually work it using 100 watts and a dipole.(might have to call a few times)
Mine is not for sale.

KD8QDL Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2012 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this from a friend who had just purchased it at a local hamfest. He was going to use it for his backup radio, but asked me if I was interested. I paired it with a K4KIO Hexbeam and have had huge success with SSB all over the globe. I run it barefoot (100 watts) and have had no problems busting some very large pileups. If you get the chance to get one of these, do yourself a favor and make the purchase. You will never find more bang for the buck!!!

W5FZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Widebanded For 60 Meters USB and CW  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had about four of these and now this one. Had it about a year or so. Just did the modification for wide banding to use for 60 meters USB, CW, digital. Works great, final part was the Reset, so all memories cleared, but just put them all back and added the 60 meter channels too. The easiest modification I have done except for the FT-1000MP MKV which was front panel buttons only, real easy. Using just in the shack or out back on the patio. It has the 500Hz CW filter and TCXO-3, so am ready to go, hopefully. 73 all....

DJ0IP Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2011 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile or Portable Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
With its size and removable front panel, this radio is in the category of mobile or portable. This doesn't preclude using it as a base radio, but it is a bit unfair to compare it to radios that are 3 times its size.

I have owned two of these radios. Bought the first one in the 90's when it was relatively new and used it as my mobile rig in my RV. Besides normal mobile type of operation, I also participated in CW contests from portable locations during my vacations, using longer, outboard (from the RV) antennas.

I replaced this with an IC-706 MKII G. I thought it would be great to have VHF and UHF in the same radio. BIG MISTAKE. The 706 was really terrible on anything except the mobile antenna. The IP2 of the radio was so bad that shortwave broadcast stations blasted through across the 20m band at night, making it almost unusable. It also had a lot of features embedded in a software menu, which is not good for mobile.

I replaced this with the TS-480, which was a good radio, but had quite a complex software menu, especially considering the FT-900 has NO SOFTWARE MENU at all.

After searching for a couple of years, I finally found a good clean FT-900 again. This time I'm not selling it.

I replaced the Collins Mechanical filter (over-hyped) with a much better crystal filter. It's a standard Yaesu option, but expensive. This helped a lot with crowded bands on weekends.

The radio gives you good performance for what it was designed for. It doesn't come close to the performance of my Ten-Tec Eagle, but again that's apples to oranges, because I can't remove the front panel of the Eagle. I prefer to keep the radio mounted under the seat, out of sight, and just have the front panel on the dash.

In my opinion, a radio with a large software menu is not a great fit for a mobile radio. You just can't adjust it while you're driving. The FT-900 has knobs for all adjustments, though some are quite small.

I recommend this in mobile/portable environments, or for anyone who is a newcomer looking for a good rig for a reasonable price - or like me, an OOT who doesn't want to full with software menus.

VK2CRC Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2010 02:51 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been a licensed ham for only 45 years now, a full license too. When I read these reviews I always check out the bad ratings first. Then I remove the idiot 1 out of 5 reports and see what the sensible hams have to say. This is a low budget transceiver with a lot of features. The inbuilt auto antenna tuner is first class. Just as good as external units selling for nearly as much as this rig. The sound is not like a Wharfdale speaker enclosure but when the signals are weak it's not deep base audio you want. it's communication grade. This rig, fitted with the Collins filter and atu is a first class transceiver for base station or mobile. It's easy to use, gets out and brings the signals in. What more do you want? For the dollar it's up there with any other rig you could name.

KI5DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2010 19:16 Send this review to a friend
A++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went to the clairmore Ok, hamfest this weekend and wanted to pick up another Yaesu FT890. i have all sorts of radios and the FT 890 is great as a general purpose, no menu , hassle free radio. I have one in the shack that is on 10 meters and never moves, and another one in the house in the closet studio with an 80 meter loop that is perfect and works all bands. I wanted another one for my shop to listen on during the day. Well i couldnt find one but I ran into my old buddy Henry K5BUG and he had this really nice ft-900 with mobile mounting bracket, box, manual, and all for a really good deal. I looked at the radio and from the rear , top and bottom it looks just like an 890. The front panel is different but i suspect it is just about the same radio with an updated front panel. I bought it. It is great. Has the same "tune anything tuner", over 100 watts out, good receive audio, decent transmit audio and very very user friendly. It is just an upgrade to the FT890. If you get a chance to purchase either one of these rigs you will not be disappointed. If you want a cadillac with bells, whistles, menues, sub menues and all of that get something else. If you want plug and play and not keeping a manual close by to change bands this is your radio!
73 God Bless KI5DX