Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-900CAT Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-900CAT
Yaesu FT-900CAT Reviews: 85 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1,198.00
Description: Compact HF tranceiver with built-in ATU + Collins filter

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-900CAT.

KB3WGE Rating: 2/5 Aug 18, 2016 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Don't sound so good for the $$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm glad I only spent only $700.00 (with rebate) for my FT450D & use my VX-3R with Miragr amp behind it for vhf-uhf apps.Respectfuly sbmitted KB3WGE a.k.a. Jimi
KE7FD Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2016 06:54 Send this review to a friend
OK, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one new when they were in production. It seemed to have a feature that struck me as odd: It would shut itself off at what seemed to be odd times for no apparent reason. Thinking it was some form of protection I ignored it, for a while. It wasn't until I couldn't find any mention of this in the manual, that I sent it back to Yaesu Tech for warranty repairs. Once. Twice, Three times and only on the third try did they find a 50 cent capacitor that was faulty. By this time it was out of warranty but fortunately they had a record of it being repaired (unsuccessfully before) and didn't charge for the repair.

I only mention this to other FT-900 owners so that if you encounter the same behavior, make sure they keep looking until they fix it. Very annoying to say the least. I no longer have the rig but I had it for over a year.

Glen KE7FD
K7WFM Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2016 14:38 Send this review to a friend
One Of The Best Portable Rigs Of All Time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just received my second FT-900CAT (sold the first one some time ago regrettably). The radio is providing me the wonderful operating experience that I remember fondly from years past. Does everything right in a small package.
KB0MM Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2016 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It does everything well and is equally fine as
a mobile or base rig. I prefer this radio over
the new radios out because it isn't menu driven
and not complicated with VHF or UHF. I own two
of them as it is now a discontinued model.
N7WR Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2015 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this used with the intention of putting it in my truck and using it mobile. However I played with it in my shack running it barefoot into the various antennas I have. Long story short, it is staying in my shack and another rig is now in the truck. Very good receiver and I consistently get "great audio" reports using it with my Heil HM-12 mic. It is an old radio but easy to use, small footprint, and does what I need it to do.
K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2015 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Great rig, wonderful ATU  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this rig several years ago used. As I recall, spent a little under $600 for it with the narrow CW filter.

With the exception of lack of RF gain control (about the only nit I would pick concerning the design), this is just about the perfect rig for the price. Easy to operate and very reliable. And the ATU, as mentioned by several others, is remarkable in its tuning range. Why the newer Yaesu rigs fail in this area is beyond me!

It does suffer a bit from frequency instability, due to Yaesu "going cheap" with the trimmer cap in the Local unit. Mine got worse over time, but "fixed" it using the excellent online tutorial done by Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFX. While the tutorial is based on the FT-890, it applies perfectly well to the FT-900. After doing what Fabian suggested (with a little contact cleaner applied as well), the rig will stay rock-solid all day, even on demanding digital modes such at JT65 and JT9.

If you can find one of these in nice condition, grab it. They don't change hands very often.
KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2013 14:22 Send this review to a friend
I really like it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio going on 13 years. Really the thing works, and it works well. I bought it to use mobile, but I liked it so much that I brought it into the shack. The layout of the radio is very well thought out . It is easy to move around the bands. The atu is a blessing and it works well. The filters are nice to have. I also like to listen to shortwave and having the direct frequency entry buttons is very nice. I run a clear speech speaker with it, so mine even has dsp hi hi. I really like having all the inputs and outputs off the back as this makes it real easy to work sound card digital modes. Also having the extra mic jack in the rear along with the tx switch input next to it, makes using a boom mic easy too. For me this radio makes life easy. It is always on time and on target.
K4MTN Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2013 19:14 Send this review to a friend
If you can find a clean one, buy it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good quality, easy to use, no menus. Always get compliments on audio. Had it in my
Jeep Cherokee for three years and worked over 200 countries. Also worked WAC within an hour while mobile in 2003. Now used as back up radio in my shop. If I can hear it, I can usually work it using 100 watts and a dipole.(might have to call a few times)
Mine is not for sale.
KD8QDL Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2012 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this from a friend who had just purchased it at a local hamfest. He was going to use it for his backup radio, but asked me if I was interested. I paired it with a K4KIO Hexbeam and have had huge success with SSB all over the globe. I run it barefoot (100 watts) and have had no problems busting some very large pileups. If you get the chance to get one of these, do yourself a favor and make the purchase. You will never find more bang for the buck!!!
W5FZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Widebanded For 60 Meters USB and CW  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had about four of these and now this one. Had it about a year or so. Just did the modification for wide banding to use for 60 meters USB, CW, digital. Works great, final part was the Reset, so all memories cleared, but just put them all back and added the 60 meter channels too. The easiest modification I have done except for the FT-1000MP MKV which was front panel buttons only, real easy. Using just in the shack or out back on the patio. It has the 500Hz CW filter and TCXO-3, so am ready to go, hopefully. 73 all....