Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-900CAT Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-900CAT
Yaesu FT-900CAT Reviews: 79 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,198.00
Description: Compact HF tranceiver with built-in ATU + Collins filter
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft900/specs.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-900CAT.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Great and complete  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used mine for a while some years ago. It was one of the last complete rigs in a transportable size. The tuner, good filter options - all included. Receiver was good and there was a button and control for everything you need! I wish producers would concentrate on this again...

KJ4XX Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2006 00:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm on my second 900(needed money). It must have the collings filter though. I was just working some DX, the new Montenegro (SP) country with a budy of mine. He has a 920. There was one of those "FM" quality guys that don't care about anyone else on 14.186 while the DX station was on 14.190. The "audio is king" jerk was wiping out my buddy on the 920 and I couldn't even tell he was there on the 900!! The tuner works well. The first 900 I put mobile, what a great package back then... so althought the used price has stayed up there, its a great radio. However, it has one very bad draw back, they don't have an RF gain, but a squelch,which causes me great issue as the radio is in my bedroom. So if anyone of you guys know how to convert squelch to RF gain I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

W1ITT Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2006 08:55 Send this review to a friend
nice mobile rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run the FT-900 mobile in my Tundra, using the separation kit with the main section of the radio behind the seat. The advantage of the FT-900 over later rigs is that it uses dedicated knobs for all of the functions I need to operate under way. I can operate by "braille" without taking my eyes off the road to navigate down through a menu and associate a given function with a softkey. More modern mobile rigs would do well to emulate the -900. If I had to operate from a closet sized environment, I could be satisfied with the FT-900 as a fixed station rig as well. With my Hi-Q 4-80 and the -900 I have no problem working Europeans and Africans on 75m mobile, as well as keeping tabs on my stateside pals.

KB0QMF Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2006 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Truly One Of The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my ft-900 since 1997 and used primarily as a mobile. Mounted the faceplate between the seats in my van, and work DX all over the world with a Hustler tri-mount system. (40, 20, and 17m xmas-tree array) There's just nothing I can say bad about this radio, however it would be nice to have a bit more robust recieve audio. I'm totally spoiled by the audio on the FT-847, which I use primarily as my fixed-station rig now. The 900 is truly the finest mobile HF rig that's ever been made in my opinion. Simple and straightforward to operate, and tough as a tank!

G0YAP Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2006 09:43 Send this review to a friend
BEST EVER YAESU RIG?  Time owned: more than 12 months
This gem was my 1st HF radio. The problem I had was that I never knew any different. I sold it when I went QRT for a while, then got back on HF with a Kenwood TS50. I then had two FT747s, Alinco DX 70 ( good performance, crap build) another TS50 and FINALLY relised how good the FT900AT was. I found they are as rare as 'hens teeth', ( a good sign of a decent rig!) I finally got hold of a mint one from Martin Lynch in London and WOW!! Its good to be back. Why, oh why did Yaesu ever stop making this SUPERB radio? I have used mine /m from my van and car, /mm from my boat on the Norfolk Broads and from my home QTH. What more do I need. Reports are always very good, lovely RX, superb features with a no frills design. There is a huge gap in the market for a go anywhere all in one HF. BRING BACK THE FT900AT!

G7VOT Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2006 16:06 Send this review to a friend
4.7 is right  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What a fantastic radio. These are the mobile version of the FT-990. Amazing quality TX/RX aduio and a pleasure to use. I never liked the looks this radio had. To me it's like an ugly duckling. When you turn this radio on it turns into a swan. If HF mobile is your thing get you're self one of these. They blow all other Mobile HF/VHF/UHF radios away. Yaesu may have released this radio ahead of it's time.

REEF2K Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2005 16:06 Send this review to a friend
always wanted to try one !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
had this older version without the collins filters,but with atu for a few months now and these are my findings.
robust look and feel to the radio is a real plus point,so is the simple layout and ease of use,so top marks here.
ive found the reciever performance to be generally good with a nice dynamic sound to the audio but it is also quite noisy with more than its far share of background hiss.its a little annoying but i hav'nt found it to be a problem when resolving weak signals.the IF shift works well,as does the auto-notch. the internal tuner is abit disapointing and cant tune what similar sized icoms and kenwoods can,but ive always found this to be one of yaesu's weak points even in their top end radio's, having said that, it will flatten the 3:1 vswr on 40m & 80m on my mobile bugcatcher,so it does the job.
i was always impressed by the transmit audio from the one's i've heard on air over the years, sounding strong and clear,and ive had similar reports from mine with or without the processor,so no complaints here.
the only other niggle ive had is suffering from abit of RF in the shack on 160m & 80m which i dont get with other radio's, so that's been a pain at times.
my overall experience of this radio is a mainly positive one and would definitly recommend it to anyone after a low cost,well made base/portable station or it would make a perfect mobile hf radio if you can find the separation kit,which ive had trouble doing.

G3LIV Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2005 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been the owner of an FT-900CAT for some 8 years. It has been fitted in my Toyota Camry for 6 years or so. It is easy to use, you press a button or turn a knob and thats it. No damn menus to fight thru. The auto ATU seems to cope with any mobile antenna I put on the back. I dont agree that it is to big for mobile.I have the RF main section mounted on the back of one of the rear folding down seats,with the Yaesu remote cable fitted. I just hide this away in the ashtray on the dash when not require. I pull it out and clip it to the same ashtry should I require to mobile then clip on the front control panel. The back seat can be dropped and it forms a table in the rear to adjust the rig if required.I also have an FT-857 and a IC-706Mk11.
By choice I use the FT-900 for mobile.
If you are looking to buy one. Look for the CAT model.
This has Collins Mech filters fitted. The greatest.
I say YAESU bring back the FT-900CAT
It lighter to carry,you dont need the handbook by your side.

73 Gents Johnny G3LIV.

RICHIE Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2005 03:43 Send this review to a friend
best radio I have bought  Time owned: more than 12 months
Both the wife, and not being too wealthy, I have not had the opportunity to test it against more expensive, modern kit. However, for the current 2nd hand price, you get a great performer. When I got mine 2 years ago, it replaced all my aged tranceivers in one go. I'm not a fan of multi-menus, so this radio was perfect, buttons that have proper functions.

Compared with my other HF gear, its receiver is much more sensitive. Its prone to interference from a dimmer light switch nearby, which blots out 160m, but so is all my other gear, so its not a big negative.

Its too big for modern cars, not much of a mobile size wise, so its in the house, and I use another radio in the car.

All in all great performance, cheap price, loads of praise, Yaesu should bring it back, but add DSP.

KC0EJR Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2005 21:42 Send this review to a friend
One of my favorites  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to say, out of the few mobile radios I have had, this is by far the simplest to operate. No menus to go digging through, and a very well designed layout. I was able to operate any function without taking my eyes off the road.

The only reason I took it out of the car, was to install an ft100d. Another excellent radio but I digress. I mainly use this rig as a backup, or taking with to the cabin since it takes up very little space. I run it of a Samlex switch mode supply with no problems.
The only problem I do encounter, is interference from the 2-cycle motors on the lake, and the cheap p.o.s. tv we have that wipes out the receiver!

The only thing I need to do to it is get some better filters and also adjust the NB so it is a bit more effective. But to me, those don't justify lowering my score.