Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | MFJ 9406X 6M SSB Adventure Radio Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 9406X 6M SSB Adventure Radio
MFJ 9406X 6M SSB Adventure Radio Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: 10W SSB transceiver with ability add CW adapter
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-9406X

You can write your own review of the MFJ 9406X 6M SSB Adventure Radio.

N4LI Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2004 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly adequate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must say I am pleasantly surprised with this little radio. I bought the thing for portable use – it’s small, light, only draws 2 amps, and is a bit more disposable than my 817. I have made a few power cords such that I can power it from almost anything.

You know… the claims about the 9406 are not far off the mark. The receiver is great; the only caveat is having to get used to using an analog dial without a really detailed scale. Transmit seems to work well; the 10 watts is most often enough, and I have gotten reasonably good audio reports.

As I write, I am working the VHF contest at home. The 9406 is perched above my 756, and I am monitoring. I am hearing a ZF1 calling CQ on .125. I must be the only one; no one is calling him back.

Overall, a nice radio. I may get a hamstick and keep it in my car for the odd opening away from home. It’s a bit pricey at retail, so look around. The sticker price is a bit high for what it is.

Not bad for MFJ stuff.

Peter, N4LI

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2004 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Impressive 6m radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I borrowed one of these from a freind who has 2, and I did not want to give it back. During a few openings last spring and summer, I managed to work many grids and states, some on even double hop E skip, using only a PAR Omniangle loop 25 feet high! Audio quality reports were consistently excellent, and the receiver on this little radio surprised me. You'd be amazed at what 10w can do during a 6m opening. I had the most fun when operating this rig from a wooded campsite using a battery with my antenna on a 15 foot collapsible paint roller pole!!! Using this radio during the peak 6m season brought back the fun and spark in ham radio that I initially experienced when I became licensed as a teen back in 1977. Nice job MFJ!

KG4MIJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2003 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Speaker Squelch Solution  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using the MFJ-9406 for nearly a year now, & thouroughly enjoy this radio. The audio reports are always excellent! I've recently found a solution to the radio's not having a squelch adjustment. Most 6 Meter fans like to monitor the band, so they can be there when it opens. The Yeasu SP-4 Speaker has allowed me to do that, without having to listen to the normal noise on the band. With the noise filter on, it is the next best thing to having a squelch adjustment!

W5SSG Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2003 17:08 Send this review to a friend
great recv  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of the little radios, currently I have a 9406 with the Cw adapter and it works great. Great starter Rig!

Jim
W5SSG

KC2GSK Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2003 12:04 Send this review to a friend
SWEET  Time owned: more than 12 months
THIS IS A REALLY SWEET LITTLE RADIO. I HAVE WORKED NUMERIOUS STATES WITH A VERTICAL ANTENNA. ANOTHER ADVANDAGE IS THE BULTIN TVI FILTER. ON TRANSMIT THERE IS NO INTERFERENCE AT ALL ON MY TV. A REAL SURPRISE WAS WORKING A 4 LAND QSO ON 10 WATTS THEN SWITCHING TO MY FT847 AND GETTING THE SAME SIGNAL REPORT WITH 100 WATTS

KC0DVG Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2002 10:58 Send this review to a friend
UNEXPECTEDLY GOOD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I HAVE OWNED MINE NOW FOR 3 DAYS AND I LOVE IT. I BOUGHT IT USED ITS ABOUT 3 MONTHS OLD. PAID $150.00 TOOK IT OUT OF THE BOX PLUG IT IN AND AWAY I WENT MADE CONTACTS RIGHT AWAY. IT IS EASY TO USE EASY TO UNDERSTAND AND A WHOLE LOT OF FUN. JUST A GREAT RADIO TO OWN.

KC0LJJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2001 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Great 6m rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a fine little 6m rig, suitable for base or portable operations; great for mountain-topping. Almost immediately after purchase, I worked Costa Rica and Honduras with a 1/4 wavelength folded dipole up 32 feet.

Pick up a used one if possible, because the price is lower, but buying from a dealer rather than MFJ substantially lowers the new price.

Has a great receiver and keeps up with much more expensive multi-mode, multi-band radios, often grabbing signals they can't hear.

KC2ICA Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2001 14:38 Send this review to a friend
pure fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first rig.
I bought mine used with the cw board installed. With just a simple dipole hung in my living room here in Brooklyn, New York, I've worked the west coast from LA to northern British Columbia. It's certainly no contest rig; with its 10 watts out it's kind of dificult to bust through the pile-ups. But if you're patient, you can work some real dx.

AF5II Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2001 12:52 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If I had bought this radio for the new price I would have given it a 4 but I found mine used for about half the price of a new one. This is a great radio with exelent audio and recieve, but the new price is a little steep at $260. For that price MFJ could have at least added a RIT which I have found is sometimes needed on this radio. However this rig may only transmit at 10W but It will keep up with the 100+ watt big boys no problem.

W4PBJ Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2001 01:13 Send this review to a friend
It's a Keeper!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a Tech operator, 6 Meters sounded like the next best thing to hot HF action. I bought the 9406 a couple of months after it was released and spent the next couple of months cursing myself for buying it. I couldn't get ANYTHING but static on it.

Then the band opened!

Six bit me bad and when I added the MFJ 3 element 6M beam, this little rig helped me work over 200 stations from here on the NC coast up into Canada and double hopped all the way to the left coast. It's put as many new grids on my map as did my Icom-746 that I traded up to.

I sold the 746, but I still use that 9406... added the CW board 2 summers ago. I pulled it out last field day along with a 6M Halo and worked a 1000 Mile contact while we were setting it up.

I'd love to see a Tuner that matched this radio so you could pack it with the battery pack from the MFJ HF QRP rigs. Now how about a 9402 2M?

73 W4PBJ