Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | Cynthia Wall, KA7ITT novels Help

Reviews Summary for Cynthia Wall, KA7ITT novels
Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $6
Description: Amateur Radio adventure series for young readers
More info: http://www.arrl.org/catalog/index.php3?category=History%2FAdventure

You can write your own review of the Cynthia Wall, KA7ITT novels.

N0UKM Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 23:18 Send this review to a friend
Very good book  Time owned: more than 12 months
I met Cynthia Wall back at the Dayton Hamvention in 1994. She was set up outside and as I was walking by I noticed these novels. The one that caught my eye was Firewatch. I was working on a volunteer fire department in Leavenworth County Kansas at the time and had been a ham for less than 2 years. Purchased the novel. Cynthia signed it for me and we had a very pleasant conversation. I have not read any of her other novels, but I intend to do so.

WB5OXQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2011 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Great reading  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have all her books and have enjoyed them all even if I am in my 60s. Easy to read and exciting. Fiction with real true radio operation discussed. The last 2 books I could not find at swap meets so I bought them from Cynthia direct and she autographed them to me. When I got these books I could not put eacn one down without reading the whole book in a day. I emailled her to ask if there would be any new books but she said the publisher was not interested in any more of these. Too bad though.

N0ODK Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2006 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Very good books  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
These books are very good and a break from reading tech books about Ham radio but still reading about Ham radio. Very good for all ages.
Firewatch is out of print and Night Signals is said to be soon out of print. I have all but Firewatch

N0XAS Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2005 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Keep in mind the target audience  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have bought all but one of Cynthia's books for my kids. I read the first couple, and found them to be about on the level of Hardy Boys, Three Investigators or similar books. These are clearly written for adolescent and pre-adolescent kids, and they're pretty much on target. I honestly cannot share the previous reviewer's feelings on the lack of rough language and violence; both are totally unneccessary and undesirable in books so clearly intended for this age range.

No, these are probably not Pultizer candidates. I don't think they need to be. We're talking about appealing to the 10 and 12 year old crowd, and they are right on target. My kids loved them. I was lucky enough to get signed copies of the first three or four, and they were especially impressed that they had copies that were actually signed by the author.

If you have kids (or grandkids) of reading age but under, say, 15 or 16, give them these. They'll probably read them and like them.

N5VWN Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2003 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Enjoyed every one  Time owned: more than 12 months
Admittedly, these seemed to be targeted towards the teenage and under group. But at 44 years old, I have enjoyed all six of her books on amateur radio and will buy anything she puts out on the subject. This hobby is sorley devoid of ham radio fiction. Thanks be to Cynthia for helping to fill the gap.

N1OG Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2002 10:29 Send this review to a friend
My wife is a Ham, thanks to Cynthia Wall  Time owned: more than 12 months
I couldn't get my wife interested in Ham radio until she read Cynthia Wall's book, "Hostage in the Woods". The book gave her a feminine perspective of what being a Ham is all about, plus it is an exciting story. All her books have character with interesting problems solved by Ham-related ingenuity. I highly recommend them to persons of any age wanting a good read with a radio twist, especially XYL's who might have an interest in Hamming.

N9BOR Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2001 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Exciting!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I read all of them to my son at bedtime when he was a little fellow. We both looked forward to them every night. I donated several to local school and public libraries. You can read a related story about the Cynthia Wall novels at:
in ARRL Web Extra. Now my son is KB9YPC!

N8IK Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2001 16:05 Send this review to a friend
kids love them  Time owned: months
Your harmonics will love these books. Exciting reading for 10-15 year olds. Kind of like the Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys stuff we read as kids.

73 de N8IK