Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | SGC SG 2020 Help

Reviews Summary for SGC SG 2020
SGC SG 2020 Reviews: 77 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $675.00
Description: Fixed, Mobile, Portable or Aviation "multi-mission" HF Txcvr
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com

You can write your own review of the SGC SG 2020.

N5YAT Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2008 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice little rig.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got a used 2020 with the ADSP2. I wanted something for portable/battery powered operation in case of emergency, and for camping. I wanted more power than the 5 or 10 watts of tiny popular models, and was willing to live without 6m, 2m, and 70cm.

I've found the receive audio perfectly fine, and the ADSP does a good job of reducing noise. It can "ring" sometimes, but not so often or so badly that it makes the rig unusable.

Yes, 20 watts SSB is not likely to break through a pileup competing against the 100+ watt rigs, but I didn't buy it for contesting or working rare DX. Last week I was able to check in to the Central States Traffic net on 7253 kHz using a Buddipole as a vertical. Net control was in Kansas and I was in North Texas, a distance of about 360 miles. Not bad for 20 watts on 40 meters in the middle of the day.

Only reason I didn't rate the radio "Great" are little things, like the fact that the headphone plug is on the back rather than the front. Also, while the menus are easy to understand and easy to remember, they sometimes require two hands to press the right button combos. Not a major issue, but a bit annoying.

GM6HGW Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2008 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iíve owned a 20-20 for a couple of years now, itís great.

I choose the 20-20 as I wanted a radio I could use aboard my yacht and when working portable. Therefore it had to be robust, which the 20-20 is.

OK it can drift a wee bit for the first few minutes, and Iíve no adverse comments on the receive audio. The twenty Watts out has worked successfully on 20, 40 and 80 with excellent reports and surprise from other than Iím only running twenty Watts.

Overall, Iím well pleased.

W6PMR Rating: 2/5 Mar 11, 2007 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Poor RX Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had this radio for about three months and I really wanted to like this thing. Yes, It is built like a tank, heavy for it's size with good "feel" but the downsides were too great to live with.
The receive audio is just plain bad, no matter if you connect a quality external speaker or use headphones this puppy is hard to listen to for any length of time. It drifts, it's menu system and band switching are strange, and the power cord uses a small strange connector that falls out very easy.
All-in-all go for the Yaesu 817, same price on the used market but the 817 includes VHF/UHF, has a better receiver, less power but a MUCH better radio.

K2ROK Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2004 10:06 Send this review to a friend
This rig has personality  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the older version before the ADSP upgrades were available. Paid just under $600 new for it during one of SGC's winter sale events where they offered a rebate.

First, this is not your average radio -- and that is a GOOD thing! It definately has it's own personality, sort-of-speak, and that too is a GOOD thing! It is definately like using a piece of military equipment or something where function triumphs over form, quite the opposite from many of the Ken-Ya-Com offerings of today with the sweeping curves and associated gimics. This radio first and foremost is meant to be a low powered SSB communications TOOL (General coverage receive but no AM). The company's committment to SSB is obvious, just download their interesting HF SSB book off their website.

CW affianados beware -- it's treated as a second tier function here -- but if I was into CW as my primary mode, I'd be buying Ten Tec anyway. The clicking of the relay and basic filtering won't impress in this 2020 version, but I am sure the ADSP version takes care of some of those concerns.

The menu system in this rig takes some getting used to, but once you learn it, the system works like a snap. No problems and band changing and power changing ability (QRP to 20 watts) is simple and quick. In fact, it is fun to run a watt just to see what I can work -- so this is surely as much a QRP rig as any of the others (Yaesu 817 and Icom 703).

I use a MFJ tuner and feed a tri-band 10-15-20 meter dipole in the attic, and as long as the SGC is at least 10 feet away from the antenna, everything is cool -- any closer and I get some feedback on my signal, according to reports.

This rig is expensive compated to the Icom 718 or Yaesu 840 -- and today it is more worth getting the version with ADSP or upgrading your older 2020.

In summary this rig bridges the market of ham radio and commercial or military communications applications. It's more the later in my opinion made available to hams to enjoy -- and that is okay!

G7TOK Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2004 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
No, you're not the only G !!
Bought mine on day one, from a now defunct business that imported "grey" units a price similar to U.S. buyers, not nearly $1000 like the current U.K. importer.
I have had more fun with this radio, a 3ah gel-cell and a home made end-fed half wave for 20m than any radio I have owned in 25 years of operating.
20w is just right for most conditions, the lack of first stage pre-amplification works very well, receive audio can take getting used too, but transmit audio is something else.
Drop it to below 5w and the combination of the VOGAD processing and QRP tagged on the end of the call has even broken pile-ups.
Besides, just look at it, it has real character, unlike some other portable HF sets I could mention !!

YO2LLQ Rating: 3/5 Apr 5, 2004 17:50 Send this review to a friend
quite ok but not great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had the rig for some time. Basically it works fine receives, transmits but performance is not astonishing.

I would feel the need of a narrow preselector for the receive front and some more power on 28 MHz, all it does now is some 6-7 W. and that's really little.

M3CAX Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2004 16:46 Send this review to a friend
I love it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really do. It is rugged, reliable, and doesn't have too many knobs. It has more power out than I need (= allowed to use), and is fantastic for portable use. I have got a pair of Yaesu YH-77STA headphones, which are very comfortable and give nice audio.

G0ORC Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2004 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Am I the only G station to use an SGC radio - seems so. Had the radio several weeks now and it never ceases to amaze me. A new unit with factory fitted ADSP it does all it says and I've worked the world with 5 watts to windom.

OK the received audio is a bit strange until you get used to it, but judicious twiddling of the bandwith and DSP usually sort it. The CW relay noise doesn't bother me at all and the AGC pumping can usually be sorted with use of the RF gain.

I have to say that this radio was a second choice. I wanted an Argonaut V but that is not CE approved yet, TenTec's loss however is SGC's gain - my FT1000MP Mk V hasn't been switched on in since I've had the 2020ADSP.

Only complaint is ergonimic - why the headphone jack on the rear and the CW jack on the front ? Strange !

Its restored the fun back into my hobby

K0KL Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2003 17:41 Send this review to a friend
A real fun radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this little gem about 3 years ago on consignment from the local ham emporium. I was a little disapointed at the filtering in addition the tuning appeared rough. Fortunately, I had a synthesizer problem crop up that resulted in a trip to the radio hospital for repair and update, oh yes I added ADSP2 at the same time.
All I can say is wow. THIS IS A GREAT LITTLE RADIO. I use it in our travel trailer with a 33' vertical and work all over on all bands using a tuner with the trailer frame as counterpoise.
But the radio really works well.
Someone at the factory turned me onto an SGC users group site where I found a mod to increase the punch using a Heil element in the mike.
I can't describe the fun in using this radio and the DSP is beyond belief! I have a FT-100MP at home and truly feel the SGC processing is superior (later technology too). Keying is great and by using the RF gain control mitigate any strong adjacent signals in the IF passband (radio uses audio filtering to 100 Hz which works very well and 2.8 Khz IF filter).
It's stable, runs the right amount of power and draws little, important when on self contained batteries in the trailer.

KB0GC Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2003 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a missionary in Bolivia and use the radio both mobile and portable with an LDG Z-11 tuner. I bought the Mountain Ops case for it with the sealed lead acid battery and it has become my constant companion. We have no phone and radio is our only means of communication so it gets a lot of use. Cannot tell the difference between it and a 100 watt radio other than the low power consumption. I turned in a review earlier with a low score because I had to send it in for a software lockup problem. But now that I have it back and am using it, I had to set the record straight. Highly recommend! Not really user friendly but worth the trouble. Great little radio for rugged, remote, mobile and portable use!