Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cubex Scorpion II Help

Reviews Summary for Cubex Scorpion II
Cubex Scorpion II Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $109.95 plus $12 s&h
Description: All fiberglass construction 8 elm 2m quad,gain 14+ dBi, elements 21" wide, boom 90" long(installed),7 lbs weight.
More info: http://www.cubex.com

You can write your own review of the Cubex Scorpion II.

W3HD Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I purchased the Cubex Scorpion II to replace the Cushcraft 13B2 antenna as I was having trouble with working SSB and also was not happy with the performance in general.

I started assembling the antenna and thought these elements are going to be a nightmare to install but they went together pretty easily.

After running some tests on the antenna with reference to the 13B2 and five of the local beacons up to 300 Miles away I can say that this antenna is an exceptional improvement over the 13B2. I also installed the SSB Electronics SP2000 preamp as well and that is great too.

I checked the VSWR on the ground and when the tower is up and it is 1:2. I can now get 200w plus out of my amp and it does not trip, it always tripped at 200w with the 13B2.

I am very happy with this antenna and would recommend it to someone looking for a small 2m SSB beam

WR0F Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2009 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Very nice Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Our big VHF SSB/CW station has been down all summer so we had to rely on one of these at 25 ft off the ground.
This last July 29th 2009 we had a tremendous E Skip opening to the East Coast . Maine ,VT,CT,DEL,NY,NJ,VA,MASS,Pa, Quebec Canada and a few others
With my old Reliable FT 736R and 170 watts and this 8 Element Cubical Quad we worked 38 stations in less than 90 minutes horizontal polarity.
I have used this antenna to work tropo in excess of 700 miles .
The only negative is they could easily make this a dual polarity FM /SSB vertical Horizontal if they had 2 driven element loops .

KD5RDY Rating: 3/5 Apr 21, 2009 20:28 Send this review to a friend
2 years later  Time owned: more than 12 months
After living with this antenna 2 years, I can tell you that it's nothing special. I compared the Scorpion II quad to a Hustler G7-144 vertical. No contest, the G7-177 wins on TX and RX. There are some construction issues with the cubex speaders. One broke after normal use.

KI4KGU Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2006 20:29 Send this review to a friend
gud ant es cool signal !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Up at 35 feet on chimney, a stacked Scorpion II 8-ele 2M Quad. Can't get any better, I feed between 5 and 200 Watt's into this monster and people near and far can hear me well....simplex is fun with this setup, 300 miles plus full scale and more, I love it. Kinda difficult to contact Cubex, but they are moving and having a lot of stress going on, great company, great product !! And VERY affordable, a simple Quad!!
My HF Quad will be a Cubex!!

KI4KGU

VE6BKB Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2005 00:51 Send this review to a friend
A Great Quad !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine two years ago - it took about 2 hours to assemble. I've only got it up 15 feet high, and it's aimed at a repeater 75 miles from here, and I can consistently work the repeater with 5 watts power. I feed the quad with 440 ohm. open wire line, and order to do this, I have two - 1/4 wave matching sections of 300 ohm. twin lead (in parallel)between the feedpoint and the 440 ohm. line, and at the shack, I have a single 1/4 wave 300 ohm. matching section, and then a 1/2 wave coaxial balun between the line and the rig. I plan on putting the quad up on my 80 foot tower in the near future.

KD5TTZ Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2005 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased (2) of the Scorpion II antennas with the cross boom and harness. At first there was a small mix up. I contacted Cubex, advised them of the problem, and was fixed up and ready to go in no time at all. The people over at Cubex are very polite and eager to help with any problem or answer any question that you may have.

I mounted the Scorpion II antennas at 100' up. Connected the coax, and I was in for a suprise.
I herd repeaters that I didn't know existed, great reports simplex from stations 250 miles away.

All I can say is that if you are looking for a good Quad type VHF antenna, look no further.
Just call Mr. Norm over at Cubex. He will get ya fixed up.

M3SKF Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2003 12:30 Send this review to a friend
QUAD-DRA- MANIA-A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine up & running at 1200ft asl,very light & easy to rotate,5/9 into Ireland on 5 watts ssb.Solid construction very easy to use for /p takes me 10 mins to put up & down on my mast,Cubex does it again..well done lads.

KB1IIW Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2002 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Good Investment  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna holds its own when compaired to the 13B2 from cushcraft as far as gain gos, but The real attraction of this device is in its size. Its allmost half the size of the 13B2 yagi. This thing does the same job with 8 elements that the 13B2 needs 13 elements to do. If you want the best antenna and size is a consideration look @ the quads that cubex is offering.

The construction is flawless lightweight fiberglass, the gain is huge and the size is small (when compaired to the yagis of the same caliber). I have my antenna on a radio shack TV rotator and the thing doesn't have any problems @ all turning it.

Manual that comes with the antenna is well written. YOU WILL NEED TO RTFM for construction of this antenna. took me about 2hrs to get everthing together then about 1/2 hr to paint it.

If you need a directional antenna do your self a favor REMEMBER the Quad.

PE1OBG Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2001 15:14 Send this review to a friend
I'm very happy with it !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I needed a reliable, compact, vertically polarized antenna with good F/B ratio and narrow angle. The Scorpion II has given me everything i wanted. It's compact yet sturdy: when i lifted my 30 foot pole it fell down again from a 45 degree angle, landing on one of the Scorpions. (I used the $33.95 tandem kit to make a horizontal stack).
Some wire-forks sprung lose and were easely remounted, no other damage! It works like a dream: following my daily cw-class with my teacher working 20 W on a vertical and no qrm from the "kw-net" at the back of the Scorpion.

I bought a second pair and stack-kit ready to go up as a horizontal antenna, construction took me an evening per Scorpion. After i finnish the course i'll turn the first one horizontal as well.

Service and advice from Cubex are very good.