Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | M2 2 Meter HO LOOP Help

Reviews Summary for M2 2 Meter HO LOOP
M2  2 Meter HO LOOP Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $45.00
Description: Broadband Horizontal Omnidirection Loop/Halo antenna
More info: http://www.m2inc.com

You can write your own review of the M2 2 Meter HO LOOP.

N4VNV Rating: 0/5 Jun 7, 2002 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Disaster  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sorry to go against the grain. Maybe I expect too much. I installed stacked M2 2m HO loops on a metal pole at my home. Purchased the mast mounting kit and stacking kit. Found two errors in the instructions which I overcame. Made a long distance call from KY to CA with a question about the connector block. Was told everyone is in a meeting, call back in an hour. This didn't sit well 'cause I had been on a 100 degree rooftop for an hour and wanted to get finished. So, since I had to stop I sent an email with my question. They never answered! It's been over a week now. I got my answer from a friend who owns the same antenna. And forget it when it rains, the antenna becomes a huge resistor. SWR goes out of sight. And I did follow the directions to the letter about metal mast mounting dimensions. And last, the antenna is causing complete washout of local TV channel 3 across the street. And they are on cable. So, let the buyer beware.

EB4AFK Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2002 16:17 Send this review to a friend
!!!IMPRESIONANTE!!!  Time owned: months
Ultimamente he usado un enfase de 2 loop m2,y he quedado gratamente sorprendido, he podido realizar qso de 500km de distancia, todo lo que hacia con mi 10 ele yagi, por eso mi sorpresa, la pwr que uso es la del IC-7400, 125 w, una magnifica antena para lugares comprometidos, o sitios en los que no se pueden colocar directivas y rotores.

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2002 03:24 Send this review to a friend
BEST BUY  Time owned: more than 12 months
The M2 HO Loop is a great little antenna! I have a single one side mounted on a tower at about 55' and can work over 200 miles two meter ssb most any day of the week! My plans are to add one more to "stack" them for gain...... last time I checked price, The M2 HO loop was actually cheaper than the other brands light duty horiz. loop antenna! Save your money, Buy the BEST the first time for less money! M2 antennas are the best built of any out there!

W8MM Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2001 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile/Rover Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just came in from driving/rovering for about 500 miles during the June 2001 ARRL VHF QSO Party contest. I'm running 100 watts from a Kenwood TS-2000X in my truck. I have a pair of M2 HO Loops (as well as a pair of 432 HO Loops) supported by a BigFoot 4-magnet mount.

They work great. I worked AA4ZZ in EM96 from EN81 while driving down I-75 from Toledo. Also worked N2TXT (FN02) and K8GP (FM08) during the same stretch with not particularly enhanced tropo conditions.

I really wish I had brought my keyer paddle so I could have worked the many stations I heard on Aurora.

These are great antennas.

K7LA Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2001 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Most Bang for the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this antenna for over one year, opting for a stacked and phased pair for around $100 cost. It took me about ten minutes to assemble the antenna with simple hand tools. Put this combo up at least eleven feet and you will be amazed at the effectiveness, especially in VHF contesting situations.
7 3 de K7LA /6 Jim

KA9FLX Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2001 20:07 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a Condo-Dweller, I am continually trying to find and/or come up with various antenna systems, which allow me to operate with some level of efficiency, while remaining as covert as possible.

This is without a doubt a challenge at HF frequencies, but it can also be difficult at VHF and UHF. Typically, I wind up operating portable/mobile using the car for the shack, and whenever possible a portable tower and other accys. It was on one of these outings that I discovered the M2 "HO" Halo antenna.

Walking through the antenna isles during a stop off at AES Milwaukee, I notice this small bag of hardware about 6x12 inches. My first reaction was to chuckle thinking how could this tiny bag of aluminum parts amount to anything I can use.

Still, always looking for a small antenna I figured what the heck, how bad could it possibly be.

Primarily geared for HF operations that weekend, I only gave the Halo a quick look. Later that evening I pulled out the instructions and realized how simple the construction and assembly was. I decided to assemble this tiny little antenna right there in the front seat of my car.

The next day, I stuck it onto the end of my 10m mast/antenna and ran the cable into the car, attaching it to my 2m multimode. I dialed around, but found no activity so I started to think oh well, another dummy load.

Back home in the Chicago area the following week, I attached the HO antenna to my camera tripod with a 40-inch section of 3/8-inch aluminum rod. With the antenna sitting in the middle of my living room, I dialed up 144.200, set for CW, Keyed the TX and put out a test/ID. The bird wattmeter indicated 25 watts forward and less than 0.1 reflected. Pretty much the same as my dummy load.

Switching to SSB, I put out a call and was immediately answered by a local, about 10 miles away. The conversation turned to my antenna (since I was testing it). The other guy was reporting me at 20 over, and we were cross-polarized, he vertical, the HO is horizontal.

In the course of the testing, we moved up the band where we were joined by a couple of other locals. Granted, all were within 25 miles of me, but the antenna was still in the middle of my living room and virtually all of these guys were using vertical polarization. The HO Halo was out performing my vertical antennas, even with the other guys running vertical!

In the past couple of weeks since purchasing the antenna I still have not yet had the antenna relocated to anyplace beyond my condo's balcony, which is semi enclosed. I am also less than 20 feet above the ground, and the local HAAT is minus 50 feet. I am clearly not in the best of locations.

Still, the reports still keep coming in along with the questions about the antenna. Some with disbelief at the performance, and the longest haul yet running 25W PEP has been 50 miles. That is from inside the house folks!!

The M2 2M-HO Loop antenna measures only about 11.5 inches on a side, and is shaped like a square. Short of using a Yagi with more than 4 elements, I have yet to own a better performing 2m SSB antenna.

It is of the highest quality construction and design, and is probably the biggest "sleeper" of an antenna you will ever encounter.

At a price around $45.00 for the single loop (a stacking kit for adding a second loop is available) this antenna is a bargain to say the least. Its small physical size belies the performance it delivers. It is extremely well constructed, easy to assemble and tune (remember I did it sitting in my car!), and most important, it performs!

I cannot wait to get it out into the real world.

This one is a 5 out of 5 Hands Down!