Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | W2IHY Dual Band Equalizer/Noise Gate Help

Reviews Summary for W2IHY Dual Band Equalizer/Noise Gate
W2IHY Dual Band Equalizer/Noise Gate Reviews: 37 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $144.99 assembled or 109.99 kit
Description: 2 Band Audio Equalizer and Noise Gate
More info: http://www.w2ihy.com

You can write your own review of the W2IHY Dual Band Equalizer/Noise Gate.

KQ4BX Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2016 05:50 Send this review to a friend
A simple way to enhance Microphone Audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the W2IHY duel band equalizer and noise gate to solve two problems and it did both with ease. The first was to help my voice have more of an impact on my microphone audio. It did that by enhancing the areas where my voice was weak, that included boosting the level as well as frequency response. The next was to eliminate background noise from the fans on my amplifier, and over head fan. The noise gate too care of that. It is adjustable to kick in where it should, based on the noise level at the time. I put this on Ebay once I got a Flex Radio and found that all of these functions, and more are part of the radio. Many others can benefit from this equalizer when it is properly used.

KD8QNC Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2012 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Does the job for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My goal in purchasing the Dual Band EQ/Noise Gate was to eliminate the fan noise from my amp and to improve both the DX and arm chair audio of my two Heil microphones. The W2IHY Dual Band accomplished both of these goals with flying colors. My Heil HM-12 and HC-6 can both now go from a full broadband studio sound down to a piercing DX pile-up buster in a second or two.

I bought the unit as a kit and don't recommend this build job for the first timer. I hadn't built a kit since Heathkit went out and wanted to smell the rosin smoke again. Julius's instructions were accurate and adequate, but doesn't "hold your hand" like Heathkit instructions did. The build took me 9 hours plus another hour for reading instructions and tweaking. It worked 100% at power up ..... a tribute to complete instructions. This unit is made of top quality components, well designed, and I expect it to last many years.

The real value of buying any W2IHY product is the support that Julius gives to the customer. He shipped the same day of the order, answered a question I had about the build within minutes of my call, and spent an hour on the air helping me to fine tune my audio. You can't beat that!!!

This unit is a "best buy" for anyone wanting to improve their mic performance.

Alan
KD8QNC

N3QVB Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2012 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Great products, great service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the EQ 8 Band Equalizer and EQ Plus about 5 years ago and have been extremely happy. I went QRT for about 2 years and just got my shack up and running again at my new QTH. I didn't remember all the settings so I called Julius for help. We got together on the phone and 20 meters where he helped me tweak the settings. Even after all these years, he still services his customers.

W6PUG Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2012 20:22 Send this review to a friend
outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used for both Kenwood TS-940s and Heil Pr-40 (both bassy characteristics) and Icom IC-756P3 with the Pr-40, and the difference is day and night - getting excellent audio reports when using the EQ/Noise Gate. Needed different cable when I switched from Kenwood to Icom and Julius priority mailed me new cable immediately - outstanding service. No down side to this product or provider!

WJ4W Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2011 13:29 Send this review to a friend
No more background noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I transmit, I don't like any kind of ambiet noise coming through on my audio. After being off the air for several years, I finally got the station set back up with a FT 2000 and Quadra amplifer. If you are like me, when I am in my shack, I turn everything on- 2m/440, satelite radio, tv etc...With headphones on and I keyed the radio, I could ALWAYS hear ambiet noise in the background. I called Julius and ordered the two-band equalizer and noise gate. In a few days I received it in mail and plugged it in between my mic and raadio. After adjusting the noise gate per very clearly written instrutions,Guess what- alsolutely zero(0) background noise now when I transmit now.
So, if you have a problem with background noise in your shack, the w2ihy dual band equalizer/noise gate is the solution. Plus, there are two band of eq if you want/need it.

Lem
wj4w

W7WX Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2010 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Just What I Needed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used over a year ago now and it just hasn't missed a beat. I bought this more for it's ability to help my old back up transceiver's lack of audio adjustments than anything. I've struggled with finding a mic/transceiver combo' that worked well with my voice. When I installed it on my old Icom, the audio it produced exceeded that of my Icom Pro3! Can't have that...so needless to say it's on the Pro3 now which sounds even better.

In hind sight I would have been money ahead if I had just bought this from the get go instead of mic after mic. An inexpensive boom mic and this EQ is the perfect combo' for my voice. And the noise gate works great too, but was just an added bonus for me.

73's
Larry W7LJB

K9DXL Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2010 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Super customer service  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I ordered my W2IHY Dual Band Eq/Noise Gate a little more than a year ago, Julius was on the phone with me within minutes from when I pushed "enter" to send my order. He wanted more specific information about my microphone and radio configuration.
My unit arrived within three days, but I was surprised to find a note from Julius and a return postage label inside. The note explained that he found a finish imperfection on the cabinet, but wanted to get my EQ to me as soon as possible. He would send me a perfect unit shortly, and I could return the original to him.
By transmitting into a dummy load and listening to my audio on a separate receiver, I was able to dial in just the sound I wanted. A couple of days later, the second box arrived and I sent back the first. The "flaw" in the first one? A tiny imperfection in the paint on the bottom next to one of the screwdriver adjustable pots. That was it!
Attention to detail. A product that really works. Outstanding customer service. That's a summary of my experience dealing with W2IHY.

KE4GRP Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2010 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Fantasic Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Dual Bander for almost two years and it works great. Had a problem that I created and sent Julius an e-mail night before last.

He responded by e-mail at 2300 hrs. I told him I would call him the next day, but he beat me to it. The part will be in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks a lot Julius

ZL1PB Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2009 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Follow up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the following information from Julius regarding my report, The Dual Band EQ uses a 7805 linear regulator to provide power to the EQ's electronics. The LED's receive power from the output of the regulator so the brightness of the LED related to the value of R3c and has little to do with using a 220 volt power cube with 230 volt power. As you said in your review
if you place resistor in series with the LED the brightness will reduce. Have a Merry Christmas and a great 2010.
Thank you Julius for the information.

ZL1PB Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2009 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and good value.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If I could give this a 10 out of five I would. Well worth the money. The eq is excellent but what makes it for me is the noise gate. This is like having EBS on your amplifier and my old FL2000B really likes it. The gate cuts off the amp between words and pauses and in my view makes the amp more dynamic. I noticed an immediate responce to my dx calls. Stations give me very good audio reports. I use it with a TS-530 and TS-830. One very minor point, the power supply supplied is for 220v and here in NZ we have 230v, this makes the power on led very bright so the series resistor could do with being increased in value. I will eventually correct this but at the moment I'm having too much fun. ZL1PB