Reviews Categories | Contesting Hardware | Array Solutions SO2R Help

Reviews Summary for Array Solutions SO2R
Array Solutions SO2R Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $N/A
Description: The Array Solutions SO2R Master two-radio controller is the the first product of it's kind for the competitive contester. Until this time, the SO2R operator has had to put together their own interface to try to cable together all the functions that interface two radios, a computer with sound card(or any voice keyer), LPT ports, headphones, microphones, and some sort of controller switch assembly to manage all of it. It usually amounted to a rats nest of cables. The SO2R Master will work with all logging programs due to its flexibility to function without a direct connection to PC if not available. But when connected to the LPT port it will run those programs adhering to the "standards" for LPT port control now established by TR, NA, and CT, WriteLog etc. **** This product is no longer in production ****
More info: http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/so2r.htm

You can write your own review of the Array Solutions SO2R.

W4AU Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2002 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Makes SO2R operating a breeze!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like others before me, I struggled with a home-brew solution to switching radios, software, keyer, mike, footswitch, and headphones in SO2R setup. After about the 10 mods to my system, I read about the Array Solutions SO2R unit. I immediately contacted Jay, who patiently answered all my probing questions, and ordered one.

I have not been disappointed in the slightest. This unit performs flawlessly and does everything that need to do in order to operate efficiently in this mode. A convenient side effect is that I can leave the SO2R unit connected all the time and use either radio even when I don't have TRLOG running.

If you're at all serious about trying SO2R operating, this is a great way to go!

W7VJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2002 22:54 Send this review to a friend
A Contest Necessity  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Array Solutions offers a superior contest tool that is masterfully engeneered, ergonomically designed, thoroughly reliable, and well supported. As the contest stakes are constantly raised, no serious contender should be without the SO2R

K1DG Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2002 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Killer System  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 5 or so years of using my manual switchbox, I decided I had to go to something more automated. Over dinner with CT1BOH, K5ZD, K1AR, and K1EA the discussion turned to SO2R boxes. Everyone raved about the WX0B design, so I bought one. Jay went out of his way to make sure I got what I needed when I needed it, and I really enjoyed using it (with CT). With all the users trying new ideas, the internal layout of the boxes is not crowded at all, lending itself nicely to easy modifications and upgrades - and I suspect a lot of people are modifying them to allow even more tricks.

Doug K1DG

N0XB Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2002 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Yassir...does the deed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hello fellow contesters.

I just want to let you all know how well this Array Solutions SO2R Master box works.

I was terribly intimidated by the idea of trying to build my own SO2R control equipment...just beyond my capabilities as a builder. So I started looking.

I ended my search with a long phone conversation with Jay, WX0B, the brains behind the Array Solutions hardware. Check out their website at www.arraysolutions.com and see what he's done.

So...here's my experience.

1. Ordering: Jay was extremely accomodating. Not only did I get the boxs (there are two pieces to the set)sooner than I expected, everything was present and accounted for...partswise. It was well packaged.

2. Setup: Explicit instructions are included in the package. AS supplies the right cables to connect the two boxes. The first box is for your desktop and is the control for which radio is under which control. A or B, together or seprate. Which is the run and which the S&P, all at your fingertips while operating...very handy. The second box is the controller and has many, many RCA jacks on the back for the control cables. Everything is well labeled and easy to determine what gets hooked to what. Easy to do.

You may either make cables for yourself, or buy them already configured for your radios. I chose to make them myself because of radio locations and so forth. You need a collection of various cables and connectors, but easily put together.

3. Operation. Well, all I can say is, if you have never operated SO2R, you have a learning curve to overcome. It's very distracting to have one radio in one ear, the other in the other...but you soon learn to do it. (It's even more confusing if you can work both modes at the same time and have cw in one ear and ssb in the other HI.)

However, learning is not too bad. It just takes some practice with your software (I use TRlog) and verious key strokes to get it to do everything. Software is EVERYTHING here. Learning your software and how it works is very important, because the S02R Master only does what you tell it to.

It's truly amazing how well it the AS boxes work, keeping you from transmitting on two radios at the same time, etc. (also a software function, but redundant in SO2R box, as well).

This stuff is built like a battleship, by the way, really solidly built, with top quality components and excellent build quality. Everything about it is quality, including the support after the sale.

All I can say is, if you want the best S02R boxes on the market, look no further than this great product from Array Solutions.

KR1G Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2002 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Another excellent WX0B product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm no SO2R pro, but have found that it does improve my contest scores, and increases my fun! I was on my second generation homebrew box, with plans for my third generation box AND 4th gen box. My solutions were absolutely OK, but Jay has (useful) features I hadn't even imaged yet in his SO2R box. I doubt my designs would ever work as well both ergonomically or functionality wise! Simply a superb product (and its not ugly like my box either :)

CT1BOH Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2002 20:09 Send this review to a friend
More than excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I thought of doing SO2R I called Jay and he made me a unit to my requirements. When his SO2R came later it was even better than what I wanted.
Anyone really serious about 2 radios cannot live without one

KW4DA Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2002 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Easy to Use and Effective  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I ordered the SO2R unit because I did not have the time to make my own and it offered the most features. I ordered the custom cables for my two IC-756 Pro's to make it Plug and Play. Installation was easy and it worked first off. I use WriteLog for logging contests and the configuration was intuitive using Setup. I really like the control unit on the desk.

I have worked several contests using the SO2R unit and after getting used to Two radios it has doubled my score, I wont go back.

K5RC Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2002 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Solution!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The SO2R Box has been the answer to my problems of ground loops and inconsistent operation of my home-brew system. It installed in minutes and works seamlessly. I have used it only with WriteLog and there was a bug in the software that caused the PTT line to be unusable, but upgrading to 10.69 solved that problem. I am very pleased with the box and the service from Array Solutions.
Tom, K5RC/NV7A

W2JJC Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2002 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Just Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've already owned a DX Doubler for about six months when my wife bought me a SO2R as a Christmas present.I must say the the Dx Doubler works as advertised but the SO2R is a much easier unit to work with both while connecting it in your station and from a ergonomic viewpoint while operating.Having been given the choice of which units to use I will be going with the SO2R.

N2NT Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2002 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Perfect solution to SO2R.
Was able to replace all my old home brew boxes after all these years. Sleek control unit, and
ability to hide the wires on the main unit.
Easy to interface to the radios and very flexible.
Have tested it with TR and the new version of CT and works great.