Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Tennadyne T10 Log Periodic Help

Reviews Summary for Tennadyne T10 Log Periodic
Tennadyne T10 Log Periodic Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $725
Description: 10 El HF Log Periodic Antenna
More info: http://www.tennadyne.com

You can write your own review of the Tennadyne T10 Log Periodic.

KI5WE Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2010 13:51 Send this review to a friend
my favorite antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one GREAT antenna... it is the one I use the most,the antenna is dead flat on all bands we put it together in about 2 hours then up the tower at 72 feet. I get great reports 59+20 all over the world most of the time. the price is very reasonable for the antenna,the quality is excellent, (please read the instructions first) and you will have no problems. this antenna has out preformed all of the other antennas i have had in the past, think about it it has 3 elements on 10-12-15-17-20-30 meters. the service is second to none... shipping is fast the owner is very truthfull. and easy to work with. for the price you can't beat this one...KI5WE

DL9RDM Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2009 10:51 Send this review to a friend
After 15 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
es, you see correctly, I have this Antenna now 15 years on top of my tower.

I do not want to bore you with comments such as, worked country XX with 100Watt and get 59++...

But i like to give you more technical informations.

Gain:
On my computer simulation we can see that the Antenna have approx. 4,5dbd = 6,64 dbi Gain.
This is realistic if I make an A/B comparison to my dipole.

Front to Back
Well, I made a lot of F/B test on each Band and also with DX and local stations.
The result is approx. 5 S-Units on a non calibrate S Meter. In reality thats 15-20db F/B (deepens on the Band)

SWR
The resonant frequency was to low on each band. I modified all the elements in 1997 after this modification the SWR was max. 1:1,4 Remember I have the old Version of the T-10 "Eagle10"

Feeding:
don`t use a coax balun. It is better to use a current Ferrit Balun.
See my web page.

Service:
3 from 5 Points

After 15 years I made some maintenances on it, so the Antenna will be ready for the next 15 years ;-)

Best Regards from good old Bavaria - DL9RDM - Mark

WA4BHK Rating: 2/5 Dec 18, 2007 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Not strong enough to withstand moderate winds  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up for 6 years on a 72 foot tower. Until 6 months ago, I had no problems with the antenna other than some boom sag due to the antenna not having any type of center boom support assembly. About six months ago during some moderate winds, one of the mid boom elements broke off approximately 12 inches out from the boom. This past Sunday, we had 30 mph winds with a passing cold front and another mid boom element broke off 6 inches out from the boom. In my opinion, some of the elements of this antenna are not strong enough to withstand moderate much less strong winds. Seems like the antenna should last more than six years.

NX7DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2007 12:04 Send this review to a friend
nx7dx-nelson. R  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
hi I been using T10 for 6 monts sofar super antenna, no preblemes. rememver is a log peruiodic not a yagy most of the times is operator not reading carefull instrations like ME.OK WORK VERYGOOD AND FLAT SWR ON 10-12--15-17-20-2mt- 6 mt 1.3.1 swr . PS. IF YOU USE A TUNER THIS ANTENNA IS VERRY GOOD ON 40 MT.AND 160 MT BELIVEME IT WORK AS GOOD AS MY 663 FEETS LOOP .ON 160 I GAT A 60 FTS CRANKUP TOWER ANTENNA IS ON TAP AND FEED POINT IS ON ANTENNA NOT ON TAWER OK. I COMPER SIGNAL REPORT WITH STATIONS RUNNING POWER AND I USE 100 WATT AT THE TEST A DIFERENT WAS 59 ON 100 AND 20 EVER 9 ON 1200 WATTS ,COMPER ANTENNA SIGNALS WITH A 4 ELE.36 FT BOOM MONOBAND AN I GOT 1 S UNIT MORE ON 20 MTR. REMEMBER I/m talking abouth T10 ORIGYNAL I SAUME ALL NEW ARE BETER THAN MY T10. GOOD LUCK AND REMEMBER READ INSTRACTIONS THIS ANTENNA IS DIFERENT AND SUPER FENOMENAL . LOOK LOOK .WORK VERY GOOD ON 40/ 160 METER WITH A PALSTAR TUNER 73 AND GOOD LUCK

W1CTN Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2007 10:33 Send this review to a friend
A good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my T10 for just over 4 years and it has proven to be a good directional antenna for 20-10 meters. I base my conclusion on what it replaced, a Mosley CL-33, which I feel had the same performance, but no coverage of 12 and 17 meters.

My T10 is at a height of 52' feet and is rotated by a Ham 3 rotor. I feel this rotor is adequate for the job.

I have found that the F/B is at least what Tennadyne publishes in its literature. I have confimed this with stations locally and at over 1500 km away. I feel the gain is the same I had with the Classic 33. ~5 DB.

The SWR is under 1.5 to 1 from 20-10, with the exception of 12 meters, where it hovers around 1.7. It's flat 100 khz under the band. If anyone has a element length change to make it flat in the 12 meter band, drop me an email.

It is a very rugged antenna and has survived 4 winters, all of which have had at least one ice storm associated with the season. Element ice up, bow a little, thaw out and spring back to shape.

Construction of the antenna is pretty good and this makes assembly pretty IP (idiot proof). There are no moving parts, it's a straight forward design with no traps to toast with excessive power or become home to your local spider population, the pre-drilled double boom makes it a no brainer as to the element spacing.

The T10 is a good all around directional antenna, with consistant f/b and gain from 20-10 meters. If you are looking for razor sharp directivity and 4/5 element gain, look elsewhere, this antenna is not for you.

I like it and it makes my home look like an embassy ! Drop me an email if you have any comments or questions.

Dave W1CTN
w1ctn@yahoo.com

N8FR Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2007 05:19 Send this review to a friend
This antenna really plays!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is a winner. Jeff (WD8DLK) and I put it up at 80feet on Memorial Day. I have used it about 6 hours and worked abouy 30 countries. Most of these contacts were on first or second call.

By the way, it plays very well on 6 meters, both locally and on skip!

SWR was 2:1 highest 6 feet off ground, and is 1.4:1 highest on the tower. No tuning anywhere from 14-54 mHz.

Assembly is rigorous and somewhat subtle. It took me one sunny day. The manual could use some additional explanation and pictures. The owner, Rog, was very helpful, and drew me some additional diagrams in response to my questions.

Fred

W8RAN Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2005 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful performance!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say but great! It's been up a year now and it has worked perfectly. It withstood an ice storm which left 1 3/4 inches of ice on it for a week last Christmas. Finally melted and sprung back up. It's a keeper.

ZL4PO Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2004 02:44 Send this review to a friend
Best HF antenna I have ever owned  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Good things come in small packages ! Surprised
that such a big antenna could fit in a 6 ft long
x 6" x 6" cardboard box. Shipping to New Zealand ex Tennadyne USA went smoothly and was
timed to coincide with the week I was going to
be in Christchurch, the entry port in N.Z.

The instructions are concise and well detailed;
Construction I found was not intuitive, but after a few false starts I found assembly was straightforward. All drilling and element fittings were accurate and the antenna went together well. No element end bungs were supplied so I purchased these for both the element tips and the boom end of the elements.
I did not put boom plugs in however, as water
ingress in the boom is normal and has to be allowed to escape. The antenna still makes quite
alot of whisting in the wind however, even with the element tip bungs.

I used 2" lengths of glued heatshrink over each of the element joins, just enough to cover the
actual join and the s/steel PK screw.

I sealed the Collins balun pigtails with
glued heatshrink, then a covering of denso
(petroleum grease) tape just to be sure.
Make sure the braid side of the balun goes
to the underside of the boom, as this minimises
the risk of coax cable puncture-voltage breakdown.

The boom to mast clamps were supplied without
a backplate, so I manufactured these and had them
hotdipped to give extra strength to the plastic
boom to mast insulator block. It has not slipped
in the three months it has been up, despite some
strong wind gusts

Tennadyne state "Do not use Anti-oxide greases on this antenna" without giving a reason, but I thought about it and concluded that the use of
any such product on the boom especially might
alter the velocity factor, and therefore the
phasing of the whole array!

I did a test setup at about 15 feet above ground, but the longest elements drooped quite abit so my test measurements using a Bird 43 & IC706 were inconclusive; SWR plots were quite high but I decided not to do anything to the antenna as I
felt sure the antenna would resonate when it was raised to the operating height at 23M up the Rohn tower.

This proved to be the case: Fed with Andrew

29.5 1.15:1

Nominal maximum SWR specified by Tennadyne is
1.7:1, so it is well within spec on all bands,
although perhaps the 10M element #9 could be
increased in slightly in length so that SWR
figures would be better for the lower end of
10M band, Instead of the high end of 10M band!
Some experimentation is called for here but my
tower is not tiltover.v

On air results have been great. I am consistently
getting reports of big signals into EU and USA -
and compared to my old 3 element trapped triband yagis this antenna is a winner.

For instant QSY's across 5 HF bands, an antenna
with no traps to compromise bandwidth or go wrong, I recommend this antenna highly. Maybe
a two element five band quad would beat it, but it is a lot harder to get a quad up and keep it up if you dont have a tiltover tower

please email me with any comments
or questions: zl4po@xtra.co.nz

Lester ZL4PO

G4DHF Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2002 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The previous reviews give the general information of what this antenna is about, but the bottom line is that this antenna performs extremely well. I experienced one or two minor difficulties during assembly, particularly with the boom spacers not being drilled quite square and the problems of retro-fitting the stub. I drilled two additional holes so that the stub could be attached without having to remove the rear element bolts.

The twin booms make for a rigid and strong design and the aircraft-grade aluminium elements suggest that this antenna is going to last. Take care with the instructons as the parts list gives a different dimension to the length of element 2. 34" of .875 is provided but this length is later referred to in the text as being 23". The parts length of 34" is correct so do not do any cutting of any of the supplied lenghts! This is a huge antenna, but I still managed to place it on my tower on my own by fitting both the stub and longest elements when the beam was lifted a few feet off the ground. I used pop rivets, two for each element section to provide additional strength. The elements flex in the wind and produce some interesting noises when doing so. It's a shame that element end caps were not provided.

This antenna out performs a previous 3ele 20M monobander which I had been using and appears equal in gain to my 5ele 10M yagi. The VSWR is within the figures quoted. Likewise, the F/B is entirely satisfactory and the quoted gain of 6.1dbd seems entirely realistic. Despite some of the minor problems experienced in assembly, this antenna does everything that is expected of it making operation on the five upper HF bands more competitive. To be recommended. 73, David

G4OBK Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2001 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Part 2 of my review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Tennadyne T10 Log Periodic Review - Conclusion

The antenna has now been in use for 9 months and I am very satisfied with its performance. Please refer back to Part 1 of my review.

One problem that I had with the antenna was the boom to mast clamp, which wasn?t up to the job. Apparently I was one of the last to receive this type of fixing. Tennadyne were good enough to send me the updated boom/mast clamp assembly and since this was fitted in January 2001 I haven?t had a problem. Previously if the wind got up in excess of about 40 MPH the antenna would ?pinwheel? on the stub mast no matter how much I tightened the boom to mast clamp.

Tennadyne tell me that the updated assembly is now part of every antenna.

I?m very satisfied with the antenna?s performance. In October it allowed me to easily work K5K on all bands 20m through to 10m. I have no reason to doubt the gain figure of 6.1 dBd quoted by the manufacturer and the front to back seems to be as quoted. I haven?t had the opportunity to do any real comparisons with other beam antennas but I did enlist the help of Ger G0UVR who lives 5 miles away from me to measure the front to back ratio on his TS430s S-Meter. Without the use of proper test equipment the results are rather vague, however the front to back ratio on all bands 20m through to 10m varied between 3.5 and 7 S-Points which doesn?t say a lot about the accuracy of our measurements - assuming that one S point equals 6 dB! However, it does indicate that the antenna exhibits plenty of front to back ratio.

I can?t find much out about Tennadyne but do know that the proprietor formerly worked for Mosley. I?m pleased with the antennas performance and versatility all on a single boom and would purchase it again.

Phil Catterall G4OBK