Reviews Categories | Contesting Hardware | DX Doubler SO2R Controller by Top Ten Devices Help

Reviews Summary for DX Doubler SO2R Controller by Top Ten Devices
DX Doubler SO2R Controller by Top Ten Devices Reviews: 19 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $195
Description: Many operators have chosen to install a second radio (maybe just a receiver, but typically a transceiver) in their station. Normally, this would require a second set of "operator interfaces," such as headphones, mike, keyer, footswitch, etc. Although this approach has worked in the past, it is far from optimal. The DXD provides a simple solution: A single set of operator interfaces is switched, either manually or automatically, between the two transceivers.

Features

A single enclosure handles all switching in both Manual and Automatic mode for the following inputs and outputs:

Inputs:
Radio 1 and 2 Audio (Main and Sub)
Microphone
CW keyer
Footswitch

Outputs:
Headphones
Microphone audio out to Radios 1 and 2
CW keyer output to Radios 1 and 2
PTT line output to Radios 1 and 2

No programming required. Hook up the inputs and outputs you want, and operate immediately.
High RFI immunity due to lack of microprocessors and analog amplifiers.
Interfaces to CT, NA, TRLog, and WriteLog for automatic Single Op 2 Radio (SO2R) operations. All functions are available in Manual mode if no computer is available for Automatic control.
Supports four audio streams: Main and Sub from both Radio 1 and Radio 2.
Mix control to vary the blend of right and left headphone audio.
Accepts keyer paddle for use by NA's and TR's computer CW keyer.
Red and green LEDs graphically display which radio is active for receive and transmit.
Auxiliary outputs available for special setups.
CT's "early PTT" implemented to avoid key clicks.
Passes through Kenwood transceiver band data on the LPT port to a Top Ten Devices band decoder.
More info: http://www.qth.com/topten/dxd.htm

You can write your own review of the DX Doubler SO2R Controller by Top Ten Devices.

K4FX Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2011 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Man this is a bargain. I enjoy building things, but there is no way I could spend what this unit costs and make one as nice as this. Nothing was left out, it was made for DXers by DXers and you will know that as soon as you turn it on,

Even if you don't contest, if you have 2 rigs, you need this toy!

K4FX

KG3V Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2011 05:20 Send this review to a friend
A great station accessory  Time owned: months
I agonized a bit over the rating. Nothing is perfect, but it is much better than GOOD in my opinion.

From what I see here, this device is getting a bit "old" (e.g. it uses a parallel port at the only computer interface). Still, this is a great addition to my shack. I use two radios at times. No longer a need for multiple keys/keyers, microphones, etc.

The DXD is a wonderful addition to the Shack, both for everyday use and for contesting. It has three modes of operation giving great flexibility, and mode settings are separate for Transmit and Receive audio. There is a fully AUTO mode for use with Contesting Software (use N1MM). There is a PTT mode, where the audio distribution is set by the state of the PTT lines to each of the two radios. This is great for everyday use or for testing antennas, equipment, etc. Then there is a MANUAL mode which lets you use the front panel switches to steer the audio.

For contesting, the Stereo mode allows you to have one radio in each ear or to mix the two radios. This is the preferred method of operation for me. Using N1MM you can have one radio in each ear, then switch to the receiving radio in both ears whenever you are transmitting with the other radio.

There were a couple minor issues. Here they are for completeness, but these are very minor. There were no lockwashers used on the rear panel connectors, and as a result, mine had a couple loose RCA connectors. There is no ground lug, which seems like a necessity in a Ham Shack. The jumpers on the PC board were not configured as stated in the manual, causing me to take the unit apart, to see that they WERE already set the way I needed them.

Overall I am very happy with the DXD. IF you get one, be prepared to make many cables, and buy a bunch of connectors/adapters. But once you get the installation done, you will be rewarded.

VE3YF Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2009 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Cats Meow  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am not sure how I ever survived before using this great device. This is a great way to go if you have a need to operate two your transceivers in the contesting mode or just rag chewing. The DXD will handle all your TX/RX audio, keying and switching very nicely. The operating desk is now not so cluttered as I only need 1 Microphone and 1 Key instead of having double of everything. Great little device from Top Ten Devices. The DXD is basically Plug and Play and a great company to do business with.

8P6SH Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2007 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Super SO2R Controller  Time owned: more than 12 months
In writing this review, I'm doing something I should have done several months ago.

I do SO2R on RTTY and SSB. This unit has been outstanding and has been wired into my operatiing position for more than two years now.

The quality of construction is good and I purchased the customised cables to interface the unit to my two rigs. This is something I would recommend to truly make the unit plug and play.

You will not go wrong with this unit and I've had two years of outstanding service.

W7WHY Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2006 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Super product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this for the past year and can't figure how I ever got along without it. Have built my own SO2R boxes, but none of them can compare to this little jewel. I use it with a couple of TS-450SAT's and N1MM Logger and contesting is now a breeze. It is a definate 5 product.
Tom W7WHY

SP5UAF Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2005 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Great product, easy setup  Time owned: months
I decided to move to SO2R operating technique so I ordered DX Doubler which seemed suitable to my needs. When I first tried to use it I was afraid about all the cables and setup. But after connecting all necessary cables and wires it just started to work. So the setup is easy (as in fact there is no setup for Yaesu radios) and operating is very comfortable. I use DXD with WriteLog and it is very easy to control DXD using WL. I must say that DXD really a very good product, worth investing some money if you are serious about contesting and can operate SO2R.

W2RE Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2005 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Absolutely awesome! Makes 2 radio operating easy!
Its a big must, If your a serious 2 radio operator. W2ID used at my qth for 05 ARRLDX CW and I used it for 05 ARRLDX SSB. We both remarked on how well the front panel is designed.
Everything connects easy to the dx-doubler from rig and computer. I had it up in running in ten minutes. Great product!!

KW4CQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2004 22:24 Send this review to a friend
Set up is a breeze. Operation is flawless.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great way to go if you have a need to operate two transceivers in contesting or just casual rag chewing operation. The DXD handles all your TX/RX audio, keying and switching very nicely. Nice design from Top Ten allows you to order cables matching your radios and to plug and play right away.

K6RB Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2004 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Very good product  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DX Doubler is easy to set up, easy to use, and works as it should. I'm using it in my SO2R contest station and it worked without hiccups just fine in the recent WPX CW contest.

K1ZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2003 15:01 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the DX Doubler 3 weeks prior to CQWW Phone(2003) and basically learned how to use it during my 45 hour effort in the chair. Outstanding product....simple to setup, and a blast to use...no problems what-so-ever throughout the entire contest. Prior to the DX Doubler I was using home-brew SO2R devices that consisted of an audio interface, mic switch, key switch and footswitch to control all three. The DX Doubler is an all-in-one solution that replaces all of those devices and allows me to focus soley on operating rather than complicated switching.

Dave and George of Top-Ten Devices are outstanding individuals dedicated to keeping us "wacko-ops" happy.

Highly Recommended.